The Hatton 21

Featured Posts

Yes, it was with 4 boats.

My boat, which is 30ft, and my parents boat, 38ft - Not sure the length of the other boats, but they weren't long.

Ah right I understand - theoretically you could do it with half a dozen boats if they were all tiddlers - however what i meant was if the boats were all full length 70 footers it would only be possible to have 2 up , 1 down or vice a versa.

If the boats were all full length 70 footers it would only be possible to have 2 up , 1 down or vice a versa.

Yeah, thats true. Ive seen it done with some priity large boats, i think a 70, two 60 and a 40 could do it.

- As i say, there was a thread which had a link that detailed the procedure and the boat lenghts it was done with, and the where all that small.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
- Can anyone find the old lock thread? becuase that had a link to how its done, and well as a link to a "virtual lock"

Daniel

Couldn't get anywhere with the search facility - Jon, can you help?

This is the virtual lock though ('cos I saved it on my hard drive, to practice!)

The Lock Game

Peter

Edited by Guest

Couldn't get anywhere with the search facility - Jon, can you help?

No, i did look breifly before and couldnt find it eather.

- That the "lock game" alright.

- Maybe if you searched to the url.

Daniel

Surely you just operate a one-up, one-down, system.

For a narrow staircase...

I think that 1 up 1 down uses least water (I'd have to work through it to be sure about this) but a few up a few down gets the most boats through per hour. If it's quiet, the 1+1 makes sense, but if it's busy 3+3 is better.

Imagine 1 and 1 on Foxton.

Say it takes 1 min to get through each and they fill as fast as they empty (just to make the maths easier).

After 5 mins 1 boat has gone down.

After 10 mins 1 down and one up

After 70 mins 7 down and 7 up

Now do 3 and 3.

5 mins 1 down (plus 1 that is 4 locks down and 1 three down)

6 mins 2 down (plus 1, now 4 locks down)

7 mins 3 down

then start going up

12 mins 1 up (plus 2 part way)

13 mins 2 up (plus 1 part way)

14 mins 3 up

After 70 mins 15 down and 15 up

So after 70 minutes 3 + 3 gives more than twice as many boats through, so that's why it's done that way.

In fact letting all the boats down followed by all the boats up uses the minimum total time, but if your stuck in the queue while 100 boats come the other way you'd be a bit miffed, so 3+3 must have been settled on as a compromise.