How to light hob

Owl

Featured Posts

Just a thought. How old is your regulator?

When gas bottles are returned for refilling the company are supposed to flush them out.

An amount of smelly liquid is put into gas bottles as propane has no smell. If the bottles are not properly flushed this liquid can build up in the bottles and get into the system and partially block the pipes at the lowest level. Sometimes if left for years this can form a paste.  Happened to us.

We had the system blown through and replaced the regulator, which is recommended every 10 years. 

Even after 5 years the liquid had built up again.

Edited by Ray T

If it’s a Mick Sivwright Owl class boat the gas locker is easy to access. It’s just a steel cupboard with a wooden top located on the front deck. It doubles as a seat. You cant fit anything bigger than 3.9Kg bottles unless you modify it, but that would make it look silly. On our 30ft Owl class boat we had a Vanette but with an oven and an Electrolux Gas fridge. A bottle would last three weeks easily as long as it wasn’t too hot outside.

14 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I think he may of had to turn the gas off at the bottle, removed his manometer and then searched his pocket for the test nipple plug, screwed it in and turned the bottle back on, during which time gas will leave the pipework to be replaced with air, His subsequent test that the nipple is gas tight will be fine with air in the pipes. Yes? It was only a suggestion not a declaration of war.

No, it was a statement not only a suggestion. Never mind.

14 hours ago, cuthound said:

Pray tell how you get them to levitate from the bank to the boat? ?

You are already carrying the cylinder when you step onto the foredeck!

13 hours ago, Rob-M said:

You get someone else to pass the bottle to you whilst you stand over the gas locker ready to stop it falling.

Or that, but the Memsahib says it's above her pay grade to "deal with" gas.

On 05/09/2018 at 16:51, Ray T said:

Just a thought. How old is your regulator?

When gas bottles are returned for refilling the company are supposed to flush them out.

An amount of smelly liquid is put into gas bottles as propane has no smell. If the bottles are not properly flushed this liquid can build up in the bottles and get into the system and partially block the pipes at the lowest level. Sometimes if left for years this can form a paste.  Happened to us.

We had the system blown through and replaced the regulator, which is recommended every 10 years. 

Even after 5 years the liquid had built up again.

IIRC: The high pressure lines from the gas bottle to the regulator should be configured so that any liquid in the pipes drains back down into the bottle, ie slope back.  My auto changeover valve came with a diagram warning how not to do it.  Is this sort of thing what you are referring to?

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd have though condensate is precipitated when the pressure is reduced, so would originate in the regulator.

In normal chemical processes, condensate is precipitated when pressure increases. It vapourises as pressure is reduced.

In a propane bottle, the propane (C3) will contain a small amount of Butanes (C4) and an even smaller amount of Pentanes (C5). The C4 or C5 will be the 'condensates'. There is also likely to be a very small amount of Butadiene which can combine with other molecules to form gums which some people may call condensates. Increased pressure will increase the rate at which these gums are formed.

......end of lesson.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

IIRC: The high pressure lines from the gas bottle to the regulator should be configured so that any liquid in the pipes drains back down into the bottle, ie slope back.  My auto changeover valve came with a diagram warning how not to do it.  Is this sort of thing what you are referring to?

Not the high pressure pipes. In our boat the liquid collects in the low pressure pipe exiting the regulator. 

When I blacked the gas locker earlier this year I disconnected the low pressure pipe and residual pressure in the system blew out a fawn coloured smelly liquid.

ETA. An old picture, the regulator has been changed but the low pressure pipe has a "U" bend, this is where the "Gloop" collects. I now drain the pipe every two years.

With my set up there is no way anything can drain back into the bottles. Passed all its BSC examinations with this arrangement.

DSCF4182.jpg

Edited by Ray T

18 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Not the high pressure pipes. In our boat the liquid collects in the low pressure pipe exiting the regulator. 

When I blacked the gas locker earlier this year I disconnected the low pressure pipe and residual pressure in the system blew out a fawn coloured smelly liquid.

I only ever see it in the low pressure pipes. The stuff is about the colour and consistency of new engine oil but sticky, and absolutely stinks. The technical name for it is “gloop” :D 

I removed a few ml of it blocking the gas pipe for a boater a few weeks ago and all was initially well, but shortly after the regulator started jamming wide open leading to gas rings like a flame thrower. Most impressive! Point is, I think this was caused by regulator being contaminated with gloop too so I think it probably forms in the high pressure side too.

None was apparent in the high pressure pipe when I replaced the regulator though, so I’m not certain. I imagined it was precipitated as condensate when the pressure drops but Dr Bob says no, and I’d expect him to know! 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I only ever see it in the low pressure pipes. The stuff is about the colour and consistency of new engine oil but sticky, and absolutely stinks. The technical name for it is “gloop” :D 

I removed a few ml of it blocking the gas pipe for a boater a few weeks ago and all was initially well, but shortly after the regulator started jamming wide open leading to gas rings like a flame thrower. Most impressive! Point is, I think this was caused by regulator being contaminated with gloop too so I think it probably forms in the high pressure side too.

None was apparent in the high pressure pipe when I replaced the regulator though, so I’m not certain. I imagined it was precipitated as condensate when the pressure drops but Dr Bob says no, and I’d expect him to know! 

I think the gloop is the impurities (dienes) in the bottle crosslinking to form the sticky liquid. Your description fits with butadiene reaction products. It is likely to be all through the system, being formed in the cylinder itself and then getting blown into the pipework. Alternatively it could be that certain metal parts in the regulator act as a catalyst and react the butadiene as it goes through the regulator .....so more of a build up there.