How to light hob

Owl

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

For this relief, much thanks.

Yer welcome.

People seem to like things to be black and white especially when they aren't. Gas systems are a good example, people want to know they have n leaks. All gas systems however can be shown to leak slightly, if you test them fiercely enough, so the tests are carefully designed to draw an arbitrary line well into the safety zone so we can kid ourselves we have NO LEAKS. Or more accurately kid the boater, perhaps!

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

MtB, should we be worried about this leak? I would add that once the oven has been lit, it will subsequently (e.g. the next day) ignite immediately.

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Another leaky system then!

We are talking really TINY leaks, that allow the pressure to drop to zero over several hours rather than the 60 seconds of a noddy bubble tester test, or the five minutes of a proper BS5482 Pt3 test.

No, no need to worry, unless you LIKE worrying. Obvs. 

It was recently suggested in another thread that if there is an orange hose connection to the low pressure side of the regulator that these can become more porous with age, and be sufficient to lose the gas that is in the pipes if the system is turned off over an extended period.

I'm not sure if that is correct - I'm only repeating what was said in a recent post, but as our boat passed a BSS manometer test with no issues, but the gas doesn't light immediately when it is turned back on after a period of time, the explanation sounds plausible to me.

It has prompted me to renew my hose with a recently manufactured replacement, but I have yet to find out whether doing so has removed whatever the small leak actually was.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It has prompted me to renew my hose with a recently manufactured replacement, but I have yet to find out whether doing so has removed whatever the small leak actually was.

I'd be most interested to hear the result when you get it. I'm not entirely convinced. One on my boats exhibits this behaviour and I can't recall any flexible hoses on it, but I'm not there to check. It's a widespread 'problem' though. 

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your suggestions and advice :) turns out it was an empty gas bottle!  it's quite small 3.9kg so maybe the surveyor doing the gas test emptied it because the hobs were running for a while. the other bottle was actually full so no need to suspect foul play :) 

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd be most interested to hear the result when you get it. I'm not entirely convinced. One on my boats exhibits this behaviour and I can't recall any flexible hoses on it, but I'm not there to check. It's a widespread 'problem' though. 

No, I'm not entirely convinced either!

The gas locker is vast, being in a Large Northwich bow, and could probably accommodate at least half a dozen 13Kg cylinders, and to my mind there has always been a mild smell of gas in there.

At the moment what is in there is minimalist - regulator screwed straight on to cylinder, orange hose to connector on bulkhead feeding the boat, so no changeover or stop valves other than the one on the bottle, (a real pain when it runs out, at an inconvenient time, as it means a spannering job), nor bubble tester.

I have just swapped out both the hose and the regulator, but now need to see if slightly suspicious smells in the locker are less, or whether burners will light more quickly after a period with it turned off.

I will report back.

As an aside we use a lot more gas than most people, having only a Morco to heat all our water in the summer months, and (particularly) a gas fridge, which does get through it if run quite hard.

4 minutes ago, Owl said:

it's quite small 3.9kg so maybe the surveyor doing the gas test emptied it because the hobs were running for a while. the other bottle was actually full so no need to suspect foul play :) 

Perhaps stating the obvious, but using 3.9Kg cylinders makes buying gas very much more expensive than using 13KG ones.  There is often not that greater difference in price for the one that holds over 3 times the amount of gas.

I realise your boat may not have space for 13Kg cylinders, but if it does, and you are running at least a Vanette, it would be well worth upgrading to th bigger bottles.

23 minutes ago, Owl said:

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your suggestions and advice :) turns out it was an empty gas bottle!  it's quite small 3.9kg so maybe the surveyor doing the gas test emptied it because the hobs were running for a while. the other bottle was actually full so no need to suspect foul play :) 

As i suggested in post 3, glad you are sorted, as suggested by Alan, upgrade to bigger bottles if you have room, makes life a whole lot easier.

2 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

As i suggested in post 3, glad you are sorted, as suggested by Alan, upgrade to bigger bottles if you have room, makes life a whole lot easier.

Given the OP has only a gas hob and no oven or grill, no other gas appliances and just two 3.9kG propane bottles, I'm inclined to guess this is a small GRP boat unsuited to bigger bottles. The 3.9kG bottles will probably last months just running a hob.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given the OP has only a gas hob and no oven or grill, no other gas appliances and just two 3.9kG propane bottles, I'm inclined to guess this is a small GRP boat unsuited to bigger bottles. The 3.9kG bottles will probably last months just running a hob.

How do we know this?  Has that been stated anywhere?

The vanette 4000/2 is a full four burner hob - it would be unusual to find one of those on a small GRP boat, where flat surface space is usually at a great premium, wouldn't it?

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

How do we know this?  Has that been stated anywhere?

The vanette 4000/2 is a full four burner hob - it would be unusual to find one of those on a small GRP boat, where flat surface space is usually at a great premium, wouldn't it?

To quote the OP, “the hob is my only gas appliance”.

31 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

To quote the OP, “the hob is my only gas appliance”.

Fair enough, but as Mike has himself said on occasions people do tend to use the words hob/oven/cooker etc in inconsistent ways.

I still think a 4 burner Vanette 4000/2 would be an umusual thing to find space for in a small GRP cruiser.  By boat standards they are "full sized".

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Fair enough, but as Mike has himself said on occasions people do tend to use the words hob/oven/cooker etc in inconsistent ways.

I still think a 4 burner Vanette 4000/2 would be an umusual thing to find space for in a small GRP cruiser.  By boat standards they are "full sized".

Circumstantial eveidence suggests it may be a small, perhaps GRP cruiser, but we don’t know yet, and Owl isn’t telling, yet.

To clear up the mystery it is a small boat, but not a grp, it's a 27' narrowboat. My username might be a clue as to what kind :) 

I did literally just mean hob, as in no oven etc. Unfortunately the gas lockers are quite small and not tall enough for larger gas bottles although that would be a good idea. 

9 minutes ago, Owl said:

To clear up the mystery it is a small boat, but not a grp, it's a 27' narrowboat. My username might be a clue as to what kind :) 

I did literally just mean hob, as in no oven etc. Unfortunately the gas lockers are quite small and not tall enough for larger gas bottles although that would be a good idea. 

Thanks for clarifying.

A Mick Sivewright "Owl class" boat, presumably?

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

A whole lot heavier too.

Agreed.

The 6kg is a reasonable compromise between cost and weight. I used to hate dragging a 13kg out of my locker, (Occasionally nearly falling in the cut in process).

The 'lite' ones are even better weight wise but increasingly hard to get hold of (and a bit more expensive) as Calor are apparently only letting them into circulation when the std. steel ones run low. They have plans to replace them with a completely new 'lite' version apparently.