Another 'Corking Sign' from C&RT

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Just approaching Newark 'Town Lock' as the lights went onto green - spotted this notice - unfortunately it was a quick shot with the phone and is too far away to zoom in.

The sign is expounding the experience of C&RT and the Lock keepers and the fact that Newark Dry Dock is the biggest in the country with a rich history of building and corking boats.

I wonder if they ever did any caulking, or if they simply put corks into bottles.

CAM00349.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just approaching Newark 'Town Lock' as the lights went onto green - spotted this notice - unfortunately it was a quick shot with the phone and is too far away to zoom in.

The sign is expounding the experience of C&RT and the Lock keepers and the fact that Newark Dry Dock is the biggest in the country with a rich history of building and corking boats.

I wonder if they ever did any caulking, or if they simply put corks into bottles.

CAM00349.jpg

They have also missed out the word "Inland" if they are describing the dry dock as the largest in the country! (I can't enlarge the photo to check). The largest for inland craft maybe but there are some that are much bigger than that elsewhere in GB.

Howard

7 hours ago, howardang said:

They have also missed out the word "Inland" if they are describing the dry dock as the largest in the country! (I can't enlarge the photo to check). The largest for inland craft maybe but there are some that are much bigger than that elsewhere in GB.

Howard

It may well have said "Inland", it didn't stick in my mind but now you mention it ………………………...

C&RT couldn't make such an obvious mistake as that - surely !!!!

What is needed is someone with one of those huge chisel tipped felt permanent marker pens to go and 'proof mark-up" the sign, deleting the letters 'or', and adding the missing letters 'aul' and word 'inland'. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Spelling!
  • Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is needed is someone with one of those huge chisel tipped felt permanent marker pens to go and 'proof mark-up" the sign, deleting the letters 'or', and adding the missing letters 'aul' and word 'inland'. 

What would be even better is if the sign explained wahat Caulking actually is so as to educate (and entertain) visitors in the ways of the canals.

There is a sign in Liverpool (I think) that explains what a graving dock is.....most people think itswhere ships get scrapped!

I am always saddened by the poetry carved on the locks on Farmers flight in Brum talking about a river (its a F*******g Canal!!!!!!) Lock gate vanalism is wrong, but if they must do it why not focus on canal history and customs....and again educate people.

I am told the hideous new blue sign that was defacing the lock in Hebdon Bridge has already been "stolen". I wonder if CaRT will get the message or adopt Corporate Aggression and keep replacing the sign till the locals are defeated???.

..............Dave

On 05/09/2018 at 10:29, dmr said:

What would be even better is if the sign explained wahat Caulking actually is so as to educate (and entertain) visitors in the ways of the canals.

There is a sign in Liverpool (I think) that explains what a graving dock is.....most people think itswhere ships get scrapped!

I am always saddened by the poetry carved on the locks on Farmers flight in Brum talking about a river (its a F*******g Canal!!!!!!) Lock gate vanalism is wrong, but if they must do it why not focus on canal history and customs....and again educate people.

I am told the hideous new blue sign that was defacing the lock in Hebdon Bridge has already been "stolen". I wonder if CaRT will get the message or adopt Corporate Aggression and keep replacing the sign till the locals are defeated???.

..............Dave

There are two signs on the approaches to Nantwich which say" you are stood by......", which should, of course be "standing", not "stood." Minor point compared to the one mentioned above, but surely someone could check these things before money is wasted on making signs littered with bad grammar. 

16 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Not confined to C&RT saw on TV couple of days back watching the TOB cycle race a well known auto parts seller "Exhausts supplied & fitted " "BREAK systems repaired & overhauled"

Unfortunately, just further examples of declining standards in education.

Even Rodney had a couple of O'levels.

On 06/09/2018 at 14:48, monkeyhanger said:

There are two signs on the approaches to Nantwich which say" you are stood by......", which should, of course be "standing", not "stood." 

Indeed, it's awful that someone is sat in an office making these things up.