Victron mk1, 2 or 3 usb Interface

Finestboat

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, Finestboat said:

I never said they are rare just expensive to use only once which is why i offered to rent it. Someone could have made some money back for one which they may have only needed once.

Im leaving because it souds like people taking the piss and changing my original thred.

You included. You dont know what i have to offer either.

Im a boat engineer with my own company and a member of The Watermans Hall.

Probably know a lot more than you about boats . Prick.

You said you were leaving. Clearly we can’t believe a word you say. You are not a boat engineer. You are a boat technician with no relevant qualifications. Yes I’m sure you’ve poked about with boats a bit and being in London, I’m sure there are plenty of folk willing to pay you to change their gas bottles etc. Keep up the good work!

34 minutes ago, Finestboat said:

Thank you. Great answer. Much appreciated. My son could probably make one knowing this. Ordered one now, should be here today. If anyone needs it after the weekend let me know

Ordered one what? A TTL to 232 converter for Mastervolt, or a 485 to 232 for Victron - always presuming the latter is the correct type of interface.

i think 485 to USB would be better because most computers these days don’t have a serial port. Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-RS485-Converter-Adapter-for-Win7-XP-Vista-Linux-Mac-485-UK-Stock/111068595216?epid=1131676522&hash=item19dc344410:g:6-YAAMXQHxVRiAAg

But I am only going by what others said about the interface type. You will still need to work out which pins of the RJ connector to wire it to, difficult without an oscilloscope. If you are going to have a look at the signals on the pins with a scope, you will be able to work out the interface type. So that would be a better first step.

55 minutes ago, Finestboat said:

I never said they are rare just expensive to use only once which is why i offered to rent it. Someone could have made some money back for one which they may have only needed once.

Im leaving because it souds like people taking the piss and changing my original thred.

You included. You dont know what i have to offer either.

Im a boat engineer with my own company and a member of The Watermans Hall.

Probably know a lot more than you about boats . Prick.

I can see absolutely no evidence that people are taking the piss. I can see typical thread drift where your question caused a discussion of a related subject and that seems normal for this Forum.

In my view the above response shows you in a poor light. Throwing toys out of pram comes to mind just because no one has or if they have the device are willing to lend or hire it out.

Personally I do not see being a member of the Worshipful Company of Watermen says anything about your technical qualifications re engine and electrical work and in my view tend to reinforce the poor vibes your post causes.

No one knows everything and if you stay and contribute you will find this form an invaluable resource and it will get you out of a hole at some time.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Ordered one what? A TTL to 232 converter for Mastervolt, or a 485 to 232 for Victron - always presuming the latter is the correct type of interface.

i think 485 to USB would be better because most computers these days don’t have a serial port. Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-RS485-Converter-Adapter-for-Win7-XP-Vista-Linux-Mac-485-UK-Stock/111068595216?epid=1131676522&hash=item19dc344410:g:6-YAAMXQHxVRiAAg

But I am only going by what others said about the interface type. You will still need to work out which pins of the RJ connector to wire it to, difficult without an oscilloscope. If you are going to have a look at the signals on the pins with a scope, you will be able to work out the interface type. So that would be a better first step.

Ordered one of these https://www.cclcomponents.com/victron-energy-interface-mk3-usb-ve-bus-to-usb?gclid=CjwKCAjwoMPcBRAWEiwAiAqZh6CC_wTCPwkPJI9gN4kOXtPekWeymwi-gGhXq19g_Zp-qsqcl7103BoC6XwQAvD_BwE

11 minutes ago, Finestboat said:

Ok fine, but at a price! When you get it, can you reverse engineer it and tell us what signal is at the VE.bus end?

1 hour ago, Finestboat said:

Ok, I am getting confused. What is the difference between

https://www.cclcomponents.com/victron-energy-ve-direct-cable-1-8m?gclid=CjwKCAjwoMPcBRAWEiwAiAqZh3Jtp_BrhH1vMQ1SjiaeN27friBX1TOJsfPo8VJeqW-mT9p9wTtEaBoCalMQAvD_BwE

ie the VE direct cable and the one that Finestboat posted. I need to read up a bit on the Victron site.

By the way, in response to the OP complaining about changing the original thread. That was me. No one was answering your original post - obvioulsy 'cause no one has one. If you use this site, you need to get used to 'thread drift' as  this is a very dynamic forum. If you post a new thread then it is important for you to come back often to answer queries otherwise someone will come along and ask something not quite what you asked. In this case, I did BUT did give you the opportunity to come back......and if I hadnt responded the thread likely would have died. Whilst your thread has not helped you, it has helped me so thankyou for posting it.

11 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

https://www.cclcomponents.com/victron-energy-ve-direct-cable-1-8m?gclid=CjwKCAjwoMPcBRAWEiwAiAqZh3Jtp_BrhH1vMQ1SjiaeN27friBX1TOJsfPo8VJeqW-mT9p9wTtEaBoCalMQAvD_BwE

ie the VE direct cable and the one that Finestboat posted. I need to read up a bit on the Victron site.

The vedirect port is on the cheaper Victron products, the MK2/3 is for the VE.Bus which is on the more expensive products.  It’s mainly due to production costs on the which is used. It’s in that protocol pdf file I posted a link to in the other thread.

Edited by Robbo

17 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

By the way, in response to the OP complaining about changing the original thread. That was me. No one was answering your original post - obvioulsy 'cause no one has one. If you use this site, you need to get used to 'thread drift' as  this is a very dynamic forum. If you post a new thread then it is important for you to come back often to answer queries otherwise someone will come along and ask something not quite what you asked. In this case, I did BUT did give you the opportunity to come back......and if I hadnt responded the thread likely would have died. Whilst your thread has not helped you, it has helped me so thankyou for posting it.

Thanks for the advice

9 minutes ago, Robbo said:

The vedirect port is on the cheaper Victron products, the MK2/3 is for the VE.Bus which is on the more expensive products.  It’s mainly due to production costs on the which is used. It’s in that protocol pdf file I posted a link to in the other thread.

So the ve direct will work with the mppt controller and the BMV 712 and I dont need the more expensive ones?

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

So the ve direct will work with the mppt controller and the BMV 712 and I dont need the more expensive ones?

That’s correct, although they have Bluetooth as well which may be just vedirect as well - I’ve not had a chance to google and the victron site isn’t updated on that protocol.    What are you looking to achieve with attaching them to your Pi?   Are you just after using Victron Connect from your Mac or looking at using some third party toy?

Edited by Robbo

25 minutes ago, Robbo said:

That’s correct, although they have Bluetooth as well which may be just vedirect as well - I’ve not had a chance to google and the victron site isn’t updated on that protocol.    What are you looking to achieve with attaching them to your Pi?   Are you just after using Victron Connect from your Mac or looking at using some third party toy?

Robbo, let me answer on the home automation thread as you previously suggested.

11 hours ago, Finestboat said:

Thank you. Great answer. Much appreciated. My son could probably make one knowing this. Ordered one now, should be here today. If anyone needs it after the weekend let me know

Mine was the post Nick replied to with that answer. I don't know if you saw it, but I hope it was helpful - I found the RS485 and RS232 info from answers after ages trawling through Victron's on line help discussions.  I'd be most interested to hear how you get on if your son does try to build one as I'd quite like to do that myself... for exactly the reasons you first posted! :)

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Mine was the post Nick replied to with that answer. I don't know if you saw it, but I hope it was helpful - I found the RS485 and RS232 info from answers after ages trawling through Victron's on line help discussions.  I'd be most interested to hear how you get on if your son does try to build one as I'd quite like to do that myself... for exactly the reasons you first posted! :)

Hi Seadog

Was very helpful, thank you.

Will let you know how he does it.

But if you want to borrow mine, your welcome, it arrived yesterday. Nothing special. Should be easy for him to copy.

10 hours ago, Finestboat said:

Hi Seadog

Was very helpful, thank you.

Will let you know how he does it.

But if you want to borrow mine, your welcome, it arrived yesterday. Nothing special. Should be easy for him to copy.

Appreciated,  thanks!  Welcome to the forum by the way - I'm sure you'll find it much more friendly and helpful than your first impression.  ;)

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Appreciated,  thanks!  Welcome to the forum by the way - I'm sure you'll find it much more friendly and helpful than your first impression.  ;)

Thanks, and sorry if i made a bad impression.

I build and re strake wooden boats  ( i have a 70ft wooden narrowboat).

I rebuild deisel engines for fun. Specialing in Perkins. Got 4 or 5 4.108s in my garage now.

I also have a William Osborne "Kingswift"

Twin screw with perkins .

I have plated and overplatef many narrowboats (Spingers the worst)

Built houseboats from concrete pontoons.

Fitted out about 20 odd boats ranging from narrowboats to trawlers.

Take boats across the channel or North sea as an engineer not a technician.

And many other things.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Finestboat said:

Thanks, and sorry if i made a bad impression.

I build and re strake wooden boats  ( i have a 70ft wooden narrowboat).

I rebuild deisel engines for fun. Specialing in Perkins. Got 4 or 5 4.108s in my garage now.

I also have a William Osborne "Kingswift"

Twin screw with perkins .

I have plated and overplatef many narrowboats (Spingers the worst)

Built houseboats from concrete pontoons.

Fitted out about 20 odd boats ranging from narrowboats to trawlers.

Take boats across the channel or North sea as an engineer not a technician.

And many other things.

No need to apologise to me: it's the internet - misunderstandings and misinterpretations abound! :D

Good list... with the possible exception of the concrete pontoon houseboats. ;)