Victron mk1, 2 or 3 usb Interface

Finestboat

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

May get more response if the moderators corrected the misspelt title?

I'm not so sure. Maybe intrrgaves are as common as interfaces? I've got lots of victron stuff on board but no interface. I've been asking a few people when out and about how to connect up my victron kit to a network or recording data and in 18 months only found one guy who had done it. Interfaces seem to be as common as hens teeth.

17 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I'm not so sure. Maybe intrrgaves are as common as interfaces? I've got lots of victron stuff on board but no interface. I've been asking a few people when out and about how to connect up my victron kit to a network or recording data and in 18 months only found one guy who had done it. Interfaces seem to be as common as hens teeth.

What Victron stuff do you have?  

11 minutes ago, Robbo said:

What Victron stuff do you have?  

I've got an old Phoenix multi 2k, a bluesmart IP22 30A charger, a BMV 712 smart and a 20A solar controller. The last 2 have Bluetooth. It would be nice to be able to network them together like I did on my lumpy water boat and all the raymarine kit but I never get past first base as it sounds to complex and the intrrgave too expensive. 

16 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I've got an old Phoenix multi 2k, a bluesmart IP22 30A charger, a BMV 712 smart and a 20A solar controller. The last 2 have Bluetooth. It would be nice to be able to network them together like I did on my lumpy water boat and all the raymarine kit but I never get past first base as it sounds to complex and the intrrgave too expensive. 

It depends on what you are after by networking them together I suppose?   Victron have a open source following so if you like playing (and quite technical) you may be interested (As you know I'm looking for central control/monitoring using a Pi).

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/open_source:start

The GX screen that Victron do is actually open source and you can implement on a Pi -https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki and some blogs regarding https://www.chronicle.me.uk/victronPi/https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2018/04/11/homemade-pi-open-source-raspberry-flavour/

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

It depends on what you are after by networking them together I suppose?   Victron have a open source following so if you like playing (and quite technical) you may be interested (As you know I'm looking for central control/monitoring using a Pi).

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/open_source:start

The GX screen that Victron do is actually open source and you can implement on a Pi -https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki and some blogs regarding https://www.chronicle.me.uk/victronPi/https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2018/04/11/homemade-pi-open-source-raspberry-flavour/

Robbo,

thanks for the response.......with a pause, to see if anyone jumps in to answer the OP's original questions.

Nothing heard! Yes it does look a bit technical...no, a lot technical. I think it would be good to be able to log data from the solar controller and data from the BMV 712 (both of which have bluetooth) onto a Pi. I have very limited experience on the Pi....just about managed to programme the one at home to send the IP address to No-IP so I can connect remotely to the home cctv with a dynamic IP broadand supplier, and runing Kodi on the Pi on the boat....but that is just plug and play. A first idiot question. How do you physically connect them together? I assume you can connect the pi to the 2 victron boxes by bluetooth? ....but is it better to hardwire it .....not sure what connectors are present on the victron boxes. Then, assuming I can get the Pi to record data, how to download the info from the Pi to the mac book? Macbook does not have a network connector. Pi (next to the BMV and solar controller) is at the opposite end of the boat to the router so out of wifi range and bluetooth only gets half way down the boat.

I will have a good dig into the links you gave above.

Apologies to the OP for taking over the thread, but at least it will be at the top of the VNC list and others will jump in.

Robbo, can I pm you?

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Apologies to the OP for taking over the thread, but at least it will be at the top of the VNC list and others will jump in.

Robbo, can I pm you?

Aye, or we can use the thread I created (https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/97926-home-automation) as it's more a relevant thread.    I've not connected any of the Victron stuff yet and I will be getting a Smart (Bluetooth) solar charger one day.

50 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Aye, or we can use the thread I created (https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/97926-home-automation) as it's more a relevant thread.    I've not connected any of the Victron stuff yet and I will be getting a Smart (Bluetooth) solar charger one day.

Bimble sell bluetooth or wifi adapters for the Tracer solar controllers if you only need to connect existing kit to your new automation system.

All i need is a VE mk1 2 or 3 usb adaptor or interface. I need to connect my charger inverter to my laptop to change 1 setting to allow my generator to work it.

Sorry for mispelling.

Ordered one now for £62 as i need it this weekend to make sure i have enough juice in my batteries for my dads breathing machine (240v through inverter with 550ah battery bank which is low)

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Robbo,

thanks for the response.......with a pause, to see if anyone jumps in to answer the OP's original questions.

Nothing heard! Yes it does look a bit technical...no, a lot technical. I think it would be good to be able to log data from the solar controller and data from the BMV 712 (both of which have bluetooth) onto a Pi. I have very limited experience on the Pi....just about managed to programme the one at home to send the IP address to No-IP so I can connect remotely to the home cctv with a dynamic IP broadand supplier, and runing Kodi on the Pi on the boat....but that is just plug and play. A first idiot question. How do you physically connect them together? I assume you can connect the pi to the 2 victron boxes by bluetooth? ....but is it better to hardwire it .....not sure what connectors are present on the victron boxes. Then, assuming I can get the Pi to record data, how to download the info from the Pi to the mac book? Macbook does not have a network connector. Pi (next to the BMV and solar controller) is at the opposite end of the boat to the router so out of wifi range and bluetooth only gets half way down the boat.

Robbo, can I pm you?

You can always get a repeater to send signal farther down the boat.

Robbo,

Robbo, can I pm you?

Just get a repeater.

Robbo,

Robbo, can I pm you?

Do you get all the tv channels with Kodi on the boat.?

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

The interfaces mk1 , 2 or 3 to usb are widely available, but because im only to use it once for 10 mins thought someone might have already bought one and want to get some money back by renting it. Afterall its only used to change internal settings.

And if its working its working, unfortunately mine will not work with my 2.8kva generator but will with my mates

cheap 700w one.

12 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

By the way intrrgaves are rarer than rocking horse sh** but it seems interfaces are too. Unless your prepaired to pay for one.

I hope noone on here needs to borrow mine.

Thanks for all your not help, leaving this site.

2 hours ago, Finestboat said:

By the way intrrgaves are rarer than rocking horse sh** but it seems interfaces are too. Unless your prepaired to pay for one.

I hope noone on here needs to borrow mine.

Thanks for all your not help, leaving this site.

I see. So you joined the site looking to borrow some equipment that someone else had to spend a 

lot of money on. But as it turned out, no-one on here had it - after all, it is as you say rare. So now you are sulking big time because nobody had one and are “leaving the site”. Well all I can say is I’m really glad I have a Mastervolt interface and not a Victron one - I might have made a big mistake and lent it to you. Bye bye, sulky scroungers with a strong sense of entitlement and nothing to offer won’t be missed.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

I've been considering the interface the OP was looking for as it facilitates the use of a laptop to change the settings of some of the Victron kit.  I don't think it allows you to do much more than you can do by Bluetooth on their newer Bluesmart kit, but it's the only way to do more than the very basic settings doable by dipswitch on some of the non-Bluetooth versions of their Inverters or Inverter/Chargers. 

It appears to be essentially an RS485 to RS232 converter, and there are cheaply available units which do that, though whether it's easy to build something that actually works with Victron kit I don't know.  It seems from this thread that the genuine interface isn't widely used in our application, so I'd be surprised if anyone has messed about replicating it, but can any if our resident electronic explorers shed further light?

15 hours ago, Finestboat said:

You can always get a repeater to send signal farther down the boat.

Just get a repeater.

This has been discussed before. Does a blu-ray repeater work for i/o or is it simply for extending an audio feed to a speaker? Nobody seemed sure the last time it was mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Or does the router have an Ethernet socket, that you can run directly to/from the Pi?

Yes it does, so that may be the way to do it, but it would involve running a wire down the full length of the boat. 

Robbo, I will reply to your posts on the other thread (likely later today). The links have been very informative.

Worth  though discussing just the interface wire here. Sea dogs comments are useful. I guess then, to use a Pi with the victron BMV and solar controller, I would need two of these wires so connecting the victron units to the USB ports of the Pi. All I then need is the software on th Pi. Is the hardware that simple.......I know the software won't be!

How then do I get info off the Pi into the MacBook? I could do the hard wire of the Pi to router via and then use wifi from mac to router.......done that before with the home setup, but can you plug the Pi directly in to the MacBook....no network port on mac! 

How much are these interface wires? ....or are there any cheaper versions? Support Sead Dogs request for somebody clever to advise. @rusty69 seems to be on a sabbatical so I doubt if he can help.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I've been considering the interface the OP was looking for as it facilitates the use of a laptop to change the settings of some of the Victron kit.  I don't think it allows you to do much more than you can do by Bluetooth on their newer Bluesmart kit, but it's the only way to do more than the very basic settings doable by dipswitch on some of the non-Bluetooth versions of their Inverters or Inverter/Chargers. 

It appears to be essentially an RS485 to RS232 converter, and there are cheaply available units which do that, though whether it's easy to build something that actually works with Victron kit I don't know.  It seems from this thread that the genuine interface isn't widely used in our application, so I'd be surprised if anyone has messed about replicating it, but can any if our resident electronic explorers shed further light?

I had a quick look but couldn’t immediately find out what sort of interface it is. If as you say it’s rs485 then as you say, pretty easy and cheap to make an interface. I bought the MV interface for our Combi before I realised it was just TTL level RS232. You can get a tiny TTL to 232 board from eBay for about £2, the rest is just wiring it up.

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I see. So you joined the site looking to borrow some equipment that someone else had to spend a 

lot of money on. But as it turned out, no-one on here had it - after all, it is as you say rare. So now you are sulking big time because nobody had one and are “leaving the site”. Well all I can say is I’m really glad I have a Mastervolt interface and not a Victron one - I might have made a big mistake and lent it to you. Bye bye, sulky scroungers with a strong sense of entitlement and nothing to offer won’t be missed.

I never said they are rare just expensive to use only once which is why i offered to rent it. Someone could have made some money back for one which they may have only needed once.

Im leaving because it souds like people taking the piss and changing my original thred.

You included. You dont know what i have to offer either.

Im a boat engineer with my own company and a member of The Watermans Hall.

Probably know a lot more than you about boats . Prick.

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I had a quick look but couldn’t immediately find out what sort of interface it is. If as you say it’s rs485 then as you say, pretty easy and cheap to make an interface. I bought the MV interface for our Combi before I realised it was just TTL level RS232. You can get a tiny TTL to 232 board from eBay for about £2, the rest is just wiring it up.

Thank you. Great answer. Much appreciated. My son could probably make one knowing this. Ordered one now, should be here today. If anyone needs it after the weekend let me know