Beta 43 Wiring Harness Connector

Featured Posts

My Beta 43 has a wierd connector between the wiring harness and the instrument panel. I'd like to get another one to simplify adding wiring to the panel.  Does anybody know if the connector is proprietary to Beta, or, where I can get one (both M & F parts)?  I have a vague idea that I've asked Beta in the past and not got a useful response.  I don't know how to describe it for an internet search.

Just now, Eeyore said:

This one? http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/613/multi-connectors-6-3mm

The one shown is only 6 way, the 11 way is the one you want.

You can get 14-way jobs too -- a quick Ebay search unearthed dozens of them.

8 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I don't know how to describe it for an internet search.

Try "multi pin 12v connector"

2 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Not on a beta, but one of my connectors worked a bit loose last week. That meant that when I put the headlight on the oil pressure buzzed (intermittently). Took me a while to track that one down ...

A bit like Fords flashing the whole rear cluster when the indicator is on. 

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You can get 14-way jobs too -- a quick Ebay search unearthed dozens of them.

Try "multi pin 12v connector"

“Want” was the wrong word to use in my first post. The eleven way connector is of course a like for like replacement. Keeping things “standard” makes future fault finding a bit more straghtfoward; if you really don’t like the multiways you can simpley cut them off and reconnect with inline crimps.

ASAP have the proper connector(s) and only 6 quid is complete.

It's a truly horrible device, but it is quite solid and virtually impossible to connect incorrectly.

The trick is to waggle both sides around a bit.

Male 11 Pin Socket for Panel TerminationFemale 11 Pin Plug for Loom Termination

It is a frequent source of problems. If you ever find that you can't stop the Beta engine from the panel button, the connector is the first place to look. Lots of weird other faults possible. Most people tape, or cable tie the two halves together. I use Contralube electrical contact gease inside as well to keep the connections corrosion free. Useful stuff on other boat electrics too.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/mobile/product/827/category/154

Jen

I think the use of such connectors is a sorry reflection on what the engine marinisers think of the competence of boat fitters' engineers. I can see no reason the harness can not be supplied in one piece with the engine end just tagged to assist connection. I never found disconnecting and reconnecting the few engine cables a particularly time consuming task.