Petronella?

Mike J Lewis

Featured Posts

Seeing the photo's of "Petronella" brought to mind the guy who built several boats (Modded half hulls ) in his garden opposite Gallows Inn lock on the Erewash  in the 60's he had cut in half hull which could  have been a single ended BCN boat or a double ended "Joey I thought he would make the sharp end the bow & fit a counter stern but he cut out the stern post? & cut & fashioned the plates to make a swim & counter with what appeared 2ft draft the stern was very similar to "Petronella" but a larger radius on the curve of the counter  he then got appox 12 ft of what appeared to be a a single ended BCN day boat which was fitted to the cut off end to form the fore end It was quite a time before I was next in the area so never knew what was done or what the outcome was & never saw a name

Can't imagine many of those floating homes are still floating but that film clip is so evocative, ah, that wooden boat smell of damp and mould, that's proper boatbuilding that is, none of this namby pamby shiny boat stuff, just make a plywood shed, nail roofing felt on it and move in.

46 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

A Pathé NEWS clip from the sixties. I believe this was the company known as 'Floating Homes'.

Two comments, and worth reading.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-barges-for-old/query/floating+homes

Fantastic video, great to see it getting another outing I haven’t watched it for several years. Thanks!

i note they studiously avoid mentioning how the toilet works, which is the first thing on anyone’s mind when house boats are mentioned. Even if they don’t say so! 

I notice he also says these wooden boats are 25 years old, and have a life expectancy of another 25 years. Ha!

• 3 weeks later...

That National is not in the standard GU format, with a Brunton gearbox, looks like the gearbox is on the flywheel end, possibly ex road roller or gen set, the set of the boat , the counter and patches look typical Harris Bros, and Hingley's were only a bridge or so past Bumble hole, I often wonder what happened to the railway boat I fetched out of Netherton basin and got Harris to put a counter on, I asked for a round counter, but they put on a more or less square one with a slight curve, I sold this without any further work, it was collected from the old "hospital" length at the Grove, cannot remember to whom I  sold it, never knew Joan the second had a National, I think she had a Fordson petrol parafin for a while, but may have ended up with a 3 cyl. Bolinder, incidentally, I did know the lady who she was named after

• 3 years later...

I am going to add to this thread...I am Peter's daughter. When I was 12 years old the boat was pulled out of the canal in New Haw....having watched the previous owner refuse to leave the boat when it was sinking....it rotted and dad was given permission to retrieve it and keep it. He shortened the length of boat so it would fit through the locks. He bought the engine and basically built it from nothing. The week before my dad passed away we took him to visit Petronella knowing it would be for the last time. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1