solar install

johnbullsbum

Featured Posts

hi all. i have recently changed leisure batteries to the 6v trojan t105s. now in the process of installing 1kw of solar, the controllers  and breakers are in place and wired into the batteries but the panels arent due untill friday. would there be an issue of turning on the controllers before the panels are in place and wired up..

thanks all

3 minutes ago, johnbullsbum said:

hi all. i have recently changed leisure batteries to the 6v trojan t105s. now in the process of installing 1kw of solar, the controllers  and breakers are in place and wired into the batteries but the panels arent due untill friday. would there be an issue of turning on the controllers before the panels are in place and wired up..

thanks all

Probably not.  Most controller instructions state you should connect the batteries before you connect the panels - what do yours say?

Your controller will just think it is dark outside until you add the panels and you will be able to set up the voltages for bulk/float/equalise in advance.

1 minute ago, Jess-- said:

no issue that I can think of

if it was the other way around (panels but no batteries) you could do damage.

Recommended to put an isolator switch on the panel side so you easily switch off the panels if you need to .

Edited by Robbo

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Probably not.  Most controller instructions state you should connect the batteries before you connect the panels - what do yours say?

Your controller will just think it is dark outside until you add the panels and you will be able to set up the voltages for bulk/float/equalise in advance.

instructions say to connect batteries first so i may just switch it on and see what happens

9 hours ago, johnbullsbum said:

thanks all

Why the rush? Turning on the controllers is done by connecting the battery wires, then connecting the panel wires. Why not get it all set up for connecting, fit the panels, including some kind of panel isolation switch, then connect it all up.

• 1 month later...

Needing help with my electrics and solar pannels.

Recently brought a project boat, 43ft dutch barge, the elctrics are completley buggered, it does have 3 solar pannels, but I'm looking for some help in installing the rest.

I'm looking to live aboard so anyone withing the Hillingdon borough would be great.

Many Thanks 

1 hour ago, Anna-Claire said:

Needing help with my electrics and solar pannels.

Recently brought a project boat, 43ft dutch barge, the elctrics are completley buggered, it does have 3 solar pannels, but I'm looking for some help in installing the rest.

I'm looking to live aboard so anyone withing the Hillingdon borough would be great.

Many Thanks 

You might want to create another thread.