Edwardian Bedding Company & others.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hiya.

On the hunt to replace present mattress. Spoken to Edwardian Bedding. Awaiting quote.

Spoken to Hotel Contract Mattresses. Awaiting quotation.

We want two mattresses. 1. 3'10" x 6'6". 2. 8" x 6'6" as an insert under gunnels.

Edwardian not cheap but I hear good words said of them. Can do any size. They manufacture in their own factory. Make and deliver by 24th September. £650.

Hotel thingymajig seem pleasant enough but can't do exact measurements we want. Ie. We want main mattress to be 3'10" wide. Can only do 3'9" as Pocket springs come in 3" strips apparently. Seems they buy in pocket springs. Don't know for certain. Said they like a challenge. Can't do the 8" insert piece. Suggested 8" wide memory foam.

We have considered and discounted memory foam options. We think they will be too hot.

Would be interested in others' opinions regarding the above and recconmendations for other suppliers. Quality trumps cost in this instance.

I recently replaced our cross bed mattresses and we chose The Custom Made Mattress Company who are based in Farnworth Lancs.  I have no one else to compare them with but I was very happy with the customer service and the subsequent products.  Mine are sprung  and when I mentioned memory foam they stated they could make a sprung mattress with a memory foam layer though they suggested a good mattress topper rather than memory foam.  I gave them the measurements and they quoted for different levels of mattress there and then.  Took my order on the phone and they delivered a few days later to our marina berth.

It would appear that they can make whatever you want.

https://www.custommademattress.co.uk/

All I can add is that we went to Edwardian bedding at Mexboro and they were first class. Showed me were they make and we picked their best quality one which they made to my exact measurements and delivered in a week. 800 quid with 100 quid discount for my good looks or whatever so 700 quid. Two years ago now and still superb. Nearly a foot deep and lots of pocket thingies not some foam rubbish.

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

I recently replaced our cross bed mattresses and we chose The Custom Made Mattress Company who are based in Farnworth Lancs.  I have no one else to compare them with but I was very happy with the customer service and the subsequent products.  Mine are sprung  and when I mentioned memory foam they stated they could make a sprung mattress with a memory foam layer though they suggested a good mattress topper rather than memory foam.  I gave them the measurements and they quoted for different levels of mattress there and then.  Took my order on the phone and they delivered a few days later to our marina berth.

It would appear that they can make whatever you want.

https://www.custommademattress.co.uk/

I'll give them a go. Thanks.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

All I can add is that we went to Edwardian bedding at Mexboro and they were first class. Showed me were they make and we picked their best quality one which they made to my exact measurements and delivered in a week. 800 quid with 100 quid discount for my good looks or whatever so 700 quid. Two years ago now and still superb. Nearly a foot deep and lots of pocket thingies not some foam rubbish.

We are very tempted by Edward and Ian. I requested summut in writing, email, but nowt forthcoming. They will deliver to a bridge nearby if I have a postcode. I have thought of hiring a van to collect as their history is interesting. I'll like to have a shufty round.

Edited by Nightwatch
To ask if your post was written with a jockenese accent?

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

We are very tempted by Edward and Ian. I requested summut in writing, email, but nowt forthcoming. They will deliver to a bridge nearby if I have a postcode. I have thought of hiring a van to collect as their history is interesting. I'll like to have a shufty round.

They only charged me thirty quid delivery straight to the boat at precisely the time quoted. They probably don't bother with email much as it is Yorkshire that nos. straight John Bull to deal with. I will nip u up to see them int car if you want just pm me if that suits you ?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

They only charged me thirty quid delivery straight to the boat at precisely the time quoted. They probably don't bother with email much as it is Yorkshire that nos. straight John Bull to deal with. I will nip u up to see them int car if you want just pm me if that suits you ?

That'll be a nice jolly. I'm planning another jolly, on a train trip into Birmingham soon, to meet this guy I'm sharing a room with at the end of the month. As I mentioned we haven't met since 1975-6. 

Just now, Nightwatch said:

That'll be a nice jolly. I'm planning another jolly, on a train trip into Birmingham soon, to meet this guy I'm sharing a room with at the end of the month. As I mentioned we haven't met since 1975-6. 

Yeah I remember ?

• 1 month later...

After some prompting Edawardian has just back to me. They have confirmed the verbal price.

All these spring-sprung pocket things are confusing. The quoted mattress has 1500 of them. I gather the more stringy things the firmer the comfort. I would prefer a firmer ride than a soft one! They have said it would be an Apollo mattress. Not showing on their website.

Seriously thinking of a hire car trip up to Mexborough, thanks for the offer of a trip Tim, but we'll  make a day trip out of it. That way we can prod and poke to our hearts content. Tim, did you have to arrange the visit. I'll send an email.

Martyn.

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

After some prompting Edawardian has just back to me. They have confirmed the verbal price.

All these spring-sprung pocket things are confusing. The quoted mattress has 1500 of them. I gather the more stringy things the firmer the comfort. I would prefer a firmer ride than a soft one! They have said it would be an Apollo mattress. Not showing on their website.

Seriously thinking of a hire car trip up to Mexborough, thanks for the offer of a trip Tim, but we'll  make a day trip out of it. That way we can prod and poke to our hearts content. Tim, did you have to arrange the visit. I'll send an email.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

No we were more or less passing on the m thingy off to see my ancient mum so we just rocked up. We laid on several mattresses and had more or less decided on one at about 4 or 5oo notes that was very comfy and the chap said great but dont lay on this one then unless you want to spend more money, with a grin. So of course we laid on it at 800 squid and its sublime at best part of a foot thick and several million pocket springs. Then showed how they make em and made ours to the easy but precise size we wanted which was 6ft 6inches by 4ft 4inches, and its exactly that. Delivered it precisely as arranged the following week. Cant reccomend them highly enough as I have previously stated.

On 04/09/2018 at 12:50, Nightwatch said:

Hiya.

On the hunt to replace present mattress. Spoken to Edwardian Bedding. Awaiting quote.

Spoken to Hotel Contract Mattresses. Awaiting quotation.

We want two mattresses. 1. 3'10" x 6'6". 2. 8" x 6'6" as an insert under gunnels.

Edwardian not cheap but I hear good words said of them. Can do any size. They manufacture in their own factory. Make and deliver by 24th September. £650.

Hotel thingymajig seem pleasant enough but can't do exact measurements we want. Ie. We want main mattress to be 3'10" wide. Can only do 3'9" as Pocket springs come in 3" strips apparently. Seems they buy in pocket springs. Don't know for certain. Said they like a challenge. Can't do the 8" insert piece. Suggested 8" wide memory foam.

We have considered and discounted memory foam options. We think they will be too hot.

Would be interested in others' opinions regarding the above and recconmendations for other suppliers. Quality trumps cost in this instance.

You could try here :-  https://shipshapebedding.co.uk/