Webasto\Eberspacher 4 or 5 KW?

Motters79

Featured Posts

I know you wanted clarification of the way I did the tank to filter pipe connection. I had a look and I did it all in one bit - just slipped the tank connector nut on before bending too much. I was able to bend the dip pipe length then feed it through the tank connector, screw the nut up on that then "adjust" the bends to the fuel filter.

Good luck - winter draws on :)

DSC04850.JPG

Cheers Johnny! Looks good. I discovered today that I have a spare 1/4 inch bsp outlet at the top of the tank, that has an Allen key plug in it. It should suffice if I can thread the pipe through it. It is a welded on noggin sticking out about an inch from the tank wall. Just hoping I can get the 90 deg bend through it.

Further to my previous post about the straddling the cable run, here is a pic of the proposed positioning :

20180930_164903.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well, it's taken me since my last post in September, but I've finally got the Webasto fully installed on Sunday ?? System is full of water (no antifreeze yet) wanna make sure it all works with no leaks before I add it.

So, tomorrow is the big day I connect it to the power and attempt to fire it up. Any advise? I've been told it can take quite a few attempts to start and may lock out and need the fuse taking out to reset it. Also to pre fill the filter with diesel. 

Is it ok to just wire it direct to the batteries?

9 hours ago, Motters79 said:

Is it ok to just wire it direct to the batteries?

If it's the same as the Eberspacher, it's a requirement (through its own fuse) to avoid switches and connections which may incur voltage drop as they're very picky about low voltage.  If you have a battery monitor with a shunt the negative will have to be connected on the non battery side of that or you'll not be including the heater in your monitoring, so check up on that before just clagging it on. That's just a heads up to help your thought process - someone with specific Webasto guidance will be along shortly.

Thanks. Well I've connected it and it fired up on the 4th attempt. Great! Only trouble is, despite the unit getting hot, no heat left the the flow port and I can't hear the water pump trying to push water, so I'm concerned the water pump is duff. It was a recon unit from mp&h who have a good rep. I've messaged him but will have to wait for a reply. EBay says seller is away. Highly frustrating! The pump seems to kick in momentarily as the unit is shutting down weirdly so that indicates that the pump might be ok and there is some other issue. 

Any ideas/suggestions?

Edited by Motters79

Likely just an air lock in the pump. Its not a displacement pump like a Gulper, its just a circulator and will not move air.

Loosen the outlet pipe, fire it up and carefully let any air escape at the joint. Tighten up and you should be away. If not do the inlet pipe without the pump running then the outlet again.

Edited by Boater Sam