peaky blinders boats

Jrtm

Featured Posts

I know I'm miles behind as only just hurd of the program.

anyways its set in 1919, now im really confused! do people for these programs not do reasurch?

I'm mean the boats you can see and not see.

kildare - build 1913 in correct black and white. covered up except for her back name why cover her up? I get she may not ment to be at that sort of area but at the same time it's perfectly in time keeping.

President - I get she wasn't build by 1919 but again a steamer is still in time keeping.

Stour - they covered her cabin but it's a clayton motor he's a tad young to be shown given there wasn't even a motor oil boat then.

Peacock - again same as kildare in correct colours, be the hold isn't covered but If put by the dock its semi reasonable that work could have been in the process of being done again in Birmingham and in black and white fmc.

joes yes perfectly acceptable they would be about that and Tugs.

I realise they can't hide every boat but surly some reasurch efforts should have been done given the boats were there????

Not a series I have watched or interested in if it's the same Peaky Blinders that is on Netflix, that one starts just after WW1. But I've seen similar errors with 'props' on period films. London Buses not of the period, and Routemaster indicators on RT's for films twenty years before Routemasters were built. The problem for film companies is in getting hold of suitable correct period vehicles and in this case boats. Most buses are all privately owned and restored, and in many cases owners update lighting to better meet modern road conditions. Then the choice is further limited by whether an owner wants their cherished vehicle suffer possible damage during film work. You would certainly never see a fleet of London buses in a depot, or even working Oxford Street as they once did with as many as twentyseven buses in one still shot. Between the Devil and the Deep.

7 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Not a series I have watched or interested in if it's the same Peaky Blinders that is on Netflix, that one starts just after WW1. But I've seen similar errors with 'props' on period films. London Buses not of the period, and Routemaster indicators on RT's for films twenty years before Routemasters were built. The problem for film companies is in getting hold of suitable correct period vehicles and in this case boats. Most buses are all privately owned and restored, and in many cases owners update lighting to better meet modern road conditions. Then the choice is further limited by whether an owner wants their cherished vehicle suffer possible damage during film work. You would certainly never see a fleet of London buses in a depot, or even working Oxford Street as they once did with as many as twentyseven buses in one still shot. Between the Devil and the Deep.

i understand it can be hard but when the boats of correct period are right in front of them but covered up to hide them thats what I couldn't understand,

and yes i realise it's not about the canals its about the gang.

it would be like filming at say Didcot and filming a bit using her lines (story area is based on her lines) then using an lms loco with her stock.

Bulbourne Works on the GU was used as a rather unconvincing stand in for Limehouse Basin on an episode of "Call the Midwife".  Apart from all boats used being in an FMC livery that didn't match the intended period, in long shots through Bulbourne bridge you could clearly see a modern CRT push tug!

Generally though the canal inaccuracies do not come close to how many million miles they are adrift on railway matters.  I've lost count of the number of things I have watched that are supposed to be World War 2, (or even World War 1!), where both the locomotives are British Railways standard types, and the carriages the ubiquitous BR "Mark 1" carriages both dating from around the 1950s.

The thing is  it has a viewing figure in many millions but only a couple of dozen perhaps would know the historical accuracy. So the hysterical viewers blood pressure is mere minor collateral damage.

Edited by mark99

16 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Generally though the canal inaccuracies do not come close to how many million miles they are adrift on railway matters.  I've lost count of the number of things I have watched that are supposed to be World War 2, (or even World War 1!), where both the locomotives are British Railways standard types, and the carriages the ubiquitous BR "Mark 1" carriages both dating from around the 1950s.

Absolutely - and I long since lost count of the the number of times that Horsted Keynes station on what used to be our local steam line, the Bluebell, masqueraded as stations in all parts of the U.K. - though at least the Bloob could usually muster a suitably ancient, if not geographically appropriate, loco to play the part. I seem to recall seeing what is now our nearest steam line, the Nene Valley, pretending to be a French and a German railway too. This wasn't a bad choice as they had a stud of continental engines, which i don't think they have any longer.

18 hours ago, zenataomm said:

It's a programme about a criminal family in Birmingham, it's not about boats.

I am from Birmingham where Peaky Blinders is set, and some say I know a bit a bout boats - but I enjoyed this programme for what it is and that is light entertainment. I thought it odd that they covered over some boat cabins because it didn't really matter as it is not claiming to be historically accurate.

Set in Birmingham, filmed all over the place including Dudley, Ellesmere Port and Liverpool.

I had more of a problem when I was invited to take BADSEY to the Black Country Museum for their 'working boat do' in September 1989 (it was by invitation back then). All attending boaters were asked to simulate 1920's appearance to make it more realistic, even though about half of the boats attending were not built by the 1920's and dated from the mid to late 1930's - and I have never dressed up to go boating. Anyway a good weekend was had by all, but the Black Country Museum organisers should have known a bit better because of the environment in which they work :captain: