Hankook batteries

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

So found these as a first set of lets see if we do understand battery use etc as my replacement batts.

Anyone use these. They seem to have 5 stars accross most reviews....any thoughts

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/hankook-xv110.html

2 for £140 is bloody good if they do the job

Got to laugh at the 2nd review....5*.....for ....

Quick delivery, well packaged item. Fits easily into my caravan box area. Jobs a good one - thanks!

er.....I would have thought lifetime would have been more useful to review rather  than whether it fits....which you can work out looking at the specs and measuring your hole with a ruler.

We've got cheapo ones on board and they are still almost 100% capacity after 18 months but we only ever take them down to 80% SoC (by having a big bank) and not running to many big draw loads. You may get 1-5 years out of them dependent on how you manage them. They talk about 250 life cycles but cant see an reference to how they measure that or what it means...no graphs etc. If you only have 2 and use a fair bit of power, then perhaps they will not last that long.

This is an increasing and bizarre symptom of modern life. Once a company has sold something they send an email requesting instant feedback, so when purchasing batteries we get stuff like "delivered quickly and they look like they might last a long time".

Battery Megastore are a particularly strange example of this as (in my experience of three purchases) they always deliver between 1 and 5 days late, but they sell Trojans at a  good price and will deliver directly to the boat. I feel that the sales team promises optimistic delivery promises but once these are missed the people who you get to talk to are much more informative.

My recent purchase was ludicrously well packaged and disposing of this packaging is a pain in the a*se.

.................Dave

9 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

So found these as a first set of lets see if we do understand battery use etc as my replacement batts.

Anyone use these. They seem to have 5 stars accross most reviews....any thoughts

I have had two of these since June 2016 and  they seem fine. 

I paid £116.95  

Check out battery megastore on ebay - possibly cheaper than their own website 

10 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Their Tyres are good so maybe?

Cool okay well they are cheapo ill get ordering i guess. Remind me to come bk in 3 years with a review please or should i say 6 months lol. 

This may sound a dumb question but is there anything else involved other than housing and wiring if i wanted to extend my battery bank capavity from say 4 x 110 to 6 for example?

Excellent. Ill look into that. In theory the banks should last longer if i dont change the demand and never run them below 70%. Im wondering the cost offset and wether it would be financialy prudent to increase the bank. Charging needs to be considered tho.....as this will take longer wont it.....im not a big power user when i am on the boat...just tv, phone chargers, hoover charging etc etc. Edited as i forgot the fridge........

Edited by Matt&Jo

6 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Excellent. Ill look into that. In theory the banks should last longer if i dont change the demand and never run them below 70%. Im wondering the cost offset and wether it would be financialy prudent to increase the bank. Charging needs to be considered tho.....as this will take longer wont it.....im not a big power user when i am on the boat...just tv, phone chargers, hoover charging etc etc. Edited as i forgot the fridge........

The fridge is invariably the pachyderm in the cabin.... It's a power hungry beast when compared with some items. As folks have quite large tvs onboard perhaps their power consumption should be considered as well.

19 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

No charging will not take longer!!!!

If you assume you use the same power overnight, then you will charge them quicker if you have a bigger bank.

For example.

If you use 100Ahr overnight that needs replacing (and lets ignore the efficiency for now) you need to put 100Ahr back in.

With say 3 * 110Ahr, you will get down to say a 2% tail current in say 2-3 hours with a decent alternator. That tail current is 6A. This will then drop slowly to 3A, maybe another hour or more.

With say 6* 110Ahr, you will get down to a 2% tail current in a similar time but that tail current is now 12A ie twice as much. You are therefore putting in twice as much amps as in the smaller bank case at the end of the charge. A bigger bank accepts more power when limited by the batteries.

You may be in bulk for longer in the smaller bank case as the SoC will be lower at the start, but likely the power going in wont be that much different in the first few hours. It will be a balance. I've not noticed significantly more power going in in the first hour over the sort of  SoC looked at here. An advantage then of the bigger bank is that is captures more of the solar power coming in at the end of the charge.

OK, the efficiency of charging and Peukets stuff affects it but doesnt change the comparison.

The big advantage of the double size bank is that you can keep you SOC high. I rarely go below 80% which will double the life (and likely more) compared with say 60% SoC  and they will resist the big loads like nesspresso machines. Will double the bank size double the life? I think it will and my cheapos have lasted 18 months with no appreciable loss of capacity since new. I guess I could have trashed a set of cheapos half the size in that time with my power usage - 240v fridge, inverter on 24/7, TV/Video/Satellite/you view box/pi, chargers, nesspresso, hair curlers (for the duck) etc etc.

7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Tyres usually last 10,000 miles minimum. Don't think a set of batteries will go that far.

Interesting, I got 36000 miles from a set on Hankooks fitted to a Hyundai 1X35,  a set of Continentals fitted to a Tuscon managed 14000 miles..............