Hudson stern bearing and prop shaft

Davenm

Featured Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely not a cutless bearing, standard stainless shaft and brass bearing. It was mentioned on our survey 18 months ago that there was play, but it wasn't made out to be a big deal. I did feel the play when the boat was out of the water this time, and it is considerable. The engine has 7800 hours on, so it's not unexpected to be worn. I met a lovely couple on a Hudson when they passed my mooring a few weeks ago, they recommend a Hudson owners group which I couldn't find, that must be the same one. I'll definitely have to join up and will give Sarah at Norton Canes a call.

43 minutes ago, Davenm said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely not a cutless bearing, standard stainless shaft and brass bearing. It was mentioned on our survey 18 months ago that there was play, but it wasn't made out to be a big deal. I did feel the play when the boat was out of the water this time, and it is considerable. The engine has 7800 hours on, so it's not unexpected to be worn. I met a lovely couple on a Hudson when they passed my mooring a few weeks ago, they recommend a Hudson owners group which I couldn't find, that must be the same one. I'll definitely have to join up and will give Sarah at Norton Canes a call.

Paste this in your browser

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/steve_hudson_owners_club/info

I read universal joint and thought of my mates which destroyed a propshaft and tube in a couple of years! the propshaft wasnt supported at the universal joint and it must have been whipping around the upshot was its now supported and the the worn bits replaced and all is well

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Surely that should be directed to the staff....I can’t believe Hudson owners operate the internet themselves....

Not sure I understand your point. Hudson owners (or one of them, at least) has formed a Yahoo Group for likeminded owners to discuss ‘stuff’. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think its probably the butlers job

What a load of nonsence. I have read hundreds f stupid comments on this forum which dispay cmplete ignorance.about seve's boas which were always fantastic vale.   I know it was just immature and ignorant people amusing themselves so never bothered to post.

In 1998 I sold my house and spent the moneywith SMH.   I ordered a 70 ft top of the range oat with all possivble extras to live on for a while.   I visited the Braunston show and ordered it after looking at the one on display.   Martin said I should vsit the yard but I was going to France by motorhime so I paid my 500 pound deposit and the boat was at the final Braunston boat show in 1999.   I paid 90000 pounds for it and sold it nearly 5years later ffoor 85000.   We loved that boat., if we met a hire boat on the wrong side we let it bounce off into the bank and felt nothing.   It never knew it was windy and followed the channel on it's own.

At about the same time a friend who lived in America had a boat built by Fernwood.   Very fancy with jacuzzi and huge generator, the usual bought in shell ans 4 layers of spray paint instead of 13 hand painted by Kevin Wortgingtonand R  and c bzautifully done by Jan Deuchar;, lt cost 150000 pounds;
They sold it a few years later and lost half their money.   ABNB cojldn't sell it so told tihem to take it away.

Steve Hudson made the best value boats ever and all some here can do is make silly ignorant comments.

Try giving it a rest

RIP my friend Steve.

Edited by JamesFrance
Not finifhed and thought podt dfaled

12 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

What a load of nonsence. I have read hundreds f stupid comments on this forum which dispay cmplete ignorance.about seve's boas which were always fantastic vale.   I know it was just immature and ignorant people amusing themselves so never bothered to post.

In 1998 I sold my house and spent the moneywith SMH.   I ordered a 70 ft top of the range oat with all possivble extras to live on for a while.   I visited the Braunston show and ordered it after looking at the one on display.   Martin said I should vsit the yard but I was going to France by motorhime so I paid my 500 pound deposit and the boat was at the final Braunston boat show in 1999.   I paid 90000 pounds for it and sold it nearly 5years later ffoor 85000.   We loved that boat., if we met a hire boat on the wrong side we let it bounce off into the bank and felt nothing.   It never knew it was windy and followed the channel on it's own.

At about the same time a friend who lived in America had a boat built by Fernwood.   Very fancy with jacuzzi and huge generator
They sold it a few years later and lost half their money.   ABNB COULDN4T SELL IT SO TOLG THEM TO T

Did Hudson not offer a sense of humour as an optional extra?? I must admit if it was offered few owners seem to pay for it.....

Edited by frangar

2 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

What a load of nonsence. I have read hundreds f stupid comments on this forum which dispay cmplete ignorance.about seve's boas which were always fantastic vale.

I see the sense of humour bypass operation was a complete success then. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Indeed His boats were the Ford Cortina/Sierra/Mondeo of narrowboats

Hardly,

cortina ghia, sierra Glx, and mondeo vignal if you dont mind.

on a serious note i met a very upset hudson owner in about 2004 who told me then his boat was literaly rusting away. I suspect in the days before galvanic wotsits. He was looking at a big bill, and bemoaning the boat being built out of recycled polish steel.

( he said)

get it blasted and two packed soon. We waited after being advised to do it and ended up with a new bottom on the boat, and a bill of 20% of the boats value.

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

I see the sense of humour bypass operation was a complete success then. 

Sorry if my post upset anyone.   Usually I am careful not to post anything to annoy anyone on any forum, I amaforum moderator myself and know perfectly well how to behave myself.   I am now suffering from over a week of hardly any sleep, I am 80 years old and had a severe reaction to an antibiotic which caused anaphylactic shock  which is life threatening and led to not being able to sleep.   I never had an allergy like that before.

When I saw the joke about butlers for Hudsons which has appeared on this forum for years and is presumably all to wind up another forum member, I posted what I really thought.

I would compare his boats more to a vintage Bentley I once old, solid, reliable , sensible and durable.   My old Hudson is now 20 years old and I  am in regular contact with the present owner who has owned her for over 10 years.   He is finally having her repainted for the first time ever after keeping the colour scheme I  designed  and only the rear cabin sides were changed before.  he has sent me many photos of boats in different colours for an opinion.

The only problem I had when the boat was new was a small water leak which developed after a few months.   Steve was extremely upset and swore he sacked the welder .   We went all over with her during her time with us.

Tower Bridge.jpg

The final Braunston Boat Show in 1999. Steve Hudson and Martin Webster on the bow of one boat, Steve's wife Diana on mine.   Steve would not let me join the delivery trip!   Probably going to thrash it!

He did that himself after installing the plumbing on one night then a short trip non stop overnight.   He had (Hazardous) Kevin Worthington along who won his master boat painter and signwriter with my boat.   Steve did find time to run me there in his BMW and announced he would teach me how to handle her after the show.   As we went out through the Braunston Entrance he stepped off and said see you back at Tamworth.

Braunston Show.jpg

I went to the Braunston show in 1999 and remember looking at the Hudson show and was interested in one at the time, but in September 1999 I bought a proper boat and now don't like the look of Hudson boats. Its not so much the fronts but the rear end that looks wrong. The hulls all seem to do a weird thing about where the engine room doors are on a pure traditional. Hard to explain. 

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

I went to the Braunston show in 1999 and remember looking at the Hudson show and was interested in one at the time, but in September 1999 I bought a proper boat and now don't like the look of Hudson boats. Its not so much the fronts but the rear end that looks wrong. The hulls all seem to do a weird thing about where the engine room doors are on a pure traditional. Hard to explain. 

It’s all a matter of personal taste. I have to say I don’t like the look of your boat at all, but since I don’t own it that isn’t a problem.

On 02/09/2018 at 17:55, Davenm said:

Hi everyone,

.....%$£@&s or people in the know help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we only have a maximum of 2 days in the dry dock to sort it out.

To get the thread even more back on line, try these guys.

they do stuff that midland Chandlers only dream about.

https://www.sillette.co.uk/

Propeller Shafts IMPERIAL SHAFTS: Based on 3ft/ 914 mm overall length 'L', includes Key, BSF, Nut & Split Pin: SHAFT Dimensions in inches dia 'd' hi k 3/4" 1 3/4" 1" .188 7/8" 1 7/8" 1" .188 1" 2 1/8" 1 1/4" .250 1 1/8" 2 3/8" 1 1/4" .250 1 1/4" 3" 1 1/4" .313 1 1/2" 3 1/8" 1 3/8" .375 1 3/4" 4 1/4" 1 7/8" .438 2" 4 7/8" 2 3/4" .500 2 1/4" 5 1/4" 2 3/8" .625 2 1/2" 5 3/4" 2 3/4" .625 2 3/4" 6 3/4" 2 3/4" .750 3" 7 3/4" 2 3/4" .750

On 07/09/2018 at 16:41, dave moore said:

Just to bring the thread on to the intended purpose......Sarah at Glascote does not have any spare shafts or stern tubes, I spoke earlier this week.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll see if I can source one from the original miiler.