Newage gearbox seal

seasurveys

Featured Posts

Engine BMC 2.2 coupled to Newage manual FNR gearbox.

the front seal in the gearbox is leaking. This is the seal that is fitted in the intermediate plate between the engine and gearbox. The plate is the front cover for the gearbox and retains the gearbox oil. Standard design oil seal but obviously a specific size so most likely imperial.

John 

Edited by seasurveys
Spelling

42 minutes ago, seasurveys said:

Engine BMC 2.2 coupled to Newage manual FNR gearbox.

the front seal in the gearbox is leaking. This is the seal that is fitted in the interdeiate plate between the engine and gearbox. The plate is the front cover for the gearbox and retains the gearbox oil. Standard design oil seal but obviously a specific size no most likely imperial.

John 

Not sure what the question is but it is almost certainly a B type gearbox and very heavy being cast iron. Also I agree it will be imperial. I would suggest taking them seal out, measuring the OD, ID of the shaft and thickness and trying Brummers, Bearing Boys  or your local engineering supplier. If you are deal lucky Richard of Primrose Engineering may have a seal or do the measuring for you.

Pity you usually have to lift the back of the engine so the gearbox feet clear their studs.

Ah, yes, meant to ask if anyone knew of a location that might have the seal. Can get the gearbox off without too much trouble although it is quite heavy.Thanks for the suggestions. Have checked the  sizes a while ago when the box was last off but all available common imperial sizes did not match. Have not tried Primrose Engineering, will do as soon as I have the seal in my hand. 

Edited by seasurveys

I seem to remember the intermediate p;ate has the seal located in a bit of a boss so if all else fails that could be turned out to the closest mm OD and then maybe the closes mm ID that is smaller than the shaft will fit & seal. Just a thought, its years since I had one of those off. Verry happy when we had changed them all to PRM or hydraulic drives and sold the last boat with one.