K&A closed at Great Bedwyn

MtB

Featured Posts

There is a sunken boat at Great Bedwyn so CRT have closed the canal. Not sure why as it is not in a lock, just tied the the bank and not causing any obstruction. Might post a photo later.

Update from CRT promised at 1.00pm but no-one here is holding their breath.

9 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

I hope it's not one of the Bruce Branch boats - we've just had a wonderful week away on Rachel.

Nope. Its a narrow boat probably about 25 years old, decent condition, looks like a liveaboard. Light green colour. No name on it, just a CRT number. No obvious reason for it going down, a very sad sight.

CRT have put a rather pointless sausage dam around it. The canal is 40ft wide and it is tight into the bank so why the canal is closed is a mystery to us all. A similar boat stayed similarly sunk here last year for months on end with no hint of closing the canal. Weird. 

Mine was there, above the lock, in the 90s, railway line side. Surprisingly noisy at night, especially the night the brush cutting train made its slow way down towards us. My partner and I lay in bed wondering what on earth the noise was. Then it was outside, and bits of undergrowth and branches started hitting the side of the boat.