Time for which you can edit a post.

Featured Posts

This has got mentioned in other threads recently.

The time period for which I am now allowed to edit a post seems to be only about an hour.  (I have not done tests to find the exact number, but it is certainly no more than 2 hours).

Others have claimed they can still edit them for a much longer period than this, (which I can't think of any sensible reason for, if actually true).

Could the admin staff please confirm the exact situation, and explain why the time limit for many of us got so heavily reduced at some time a few months back.

Could I please ask that consideration is given to making the period longer, for all members.

I am regularly spotting typos in things I posted less than a couple of hours ago, but very annoyingly am not now allowed to correct them, other than by creating an unnecessary additional post.

35 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

This has got mentioned in other threads recently.

The time period for which I am now allowed to edit a post seems to be only about an hour.  (I have not done tests to find the exact number, but it is certainly no more than 2 hours).

Others have claimed they can still edit them for a much longer period than this, (which I can't think of any sensible reason for, if actually true).

Could the admin staff please confirm the exact situation, and explain why the time limit for many of us got so heavily reduced at some time a few months back.

Could I please ask that consideration is given to making the period longer, for all members.

I am regularly spotting typos in things I posted less than a couple of hours ago, but very annoyingly am not now allowed to correct them, other than by creating an unnecessary additional post.

I agree with you. A longer window for correcting all your minor errors would be very useful ? 

But more seriously, I am am one of those with a 24 hour edit window and I also find find it useful for adding or improving the way I’ve expressed a point an hour or four later. I don’t really see why limit is necessary at all however. Have there been problems in the past with a longer edit period? If a poster feels s/he wishes to tinker with a post why let them do it an hour later but not a day later? 

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I agree with you. A longer window for correcting all your minor errors would be very useful ? 

But more seriously, I am am one of those with a 24 hour edit window and I also find find it useful for adding or improving the way I’ve expressed a point an hour or four later. I don’t really see why limit is necessary at all however. Have there been problems in the past with a longer edit period? If a poster feels s/he wishes to tinker with a post why let them do it an hour later but not a day later? 

I agree longer would be better. I thought the restriction was to prevent the poster from rewriting history rather than ‘fessing up to a mistake or excessive grumpiness.

1 minute ago, BruceinSanity said:

I agree longer would be better. I thought the restriction was to prevent the poster from rewriting history rather than ‘fessing up to a mistake or excessive grumpiness.

Potentially contentious posts can be ‘locked’ for posterity to view simply by quoting them.  

Mind you, that can be abused too. 

3 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

MTB is an idiot

How dare you, Sir!! 

??

Twitter doesn't allow any editing though you can delete your tweet and start again - I think that's good practice, though it is annoying at times.

Reason why I think this is good, is because more often than not I go to the last posting/s of a forum thread, and practically never go back to reread previous posts, which could result in missing some valuable information. Saying that, I am an avid 'edit' button pusher. Even though I reread my typing before I press the 'submit' button, practically always a typo pops up ?

Edited to correct a typo.... I rest my case your honour!

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

In which case, something based around "number of views" or "number of subsequent posts" would be sensible - if no one has viewed it then it doesn't really matter how long ago you posted it!

I agree with Alan, one of the useful aspects of a longer editing period is the ablity to correct a posting mistake after it has been pointed out my another member. A few weeks ago one of the moderators asked me to amend a post, because he felt the statement I had made could be misinterpreted, I was more than happy to do so. but from recollection, the period between the original post and my ammendment was considerably longer than the current two hours permitted. If my recollection is correct it would suggest that the administrators are able to adjust the settings to enable a longer editing period.

Edited by David Schweizer

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Of course if I click the arrow on the quote bar, it takes me back to the original comment so there is only so far you could push this game.

If I click the arrow on the quote bar it gives a 'snotty'. !

I believe that by nefarious means you are just trying to increase your 'greenie-count'.

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If I click the arrow on the quote bar it gives a 'snotty'. !

I believe that by nefarious means you are just trying to increase your 'greenie-count'.

The curvy arrow on the far right hand side of the grey bar that says "xx minutes/hours/days ago Username said:"

But feel free to greenie away if you want :D

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Has the original question been answered? Was I sleeping?

Not that I’ve seen. 

Its an odd one in that this question has been asked in passing several times in other threads and no conclusion ever reached. Now Alan has asked it properly, still no answer is forthcoming. 

Maybe Rich doesnt know or can’t find out, or more likely, spent the weekend boating!!