Fishing rules opposite moored boats

bigcol

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I have observed this over a number of years, hence my jokes about anglers taking misery pills.

I'd suggest they're absorbed with their hobby. Have a look at a snooker player playing a shot, or a tennis player maybe, they don't have a continual smile on their face.

1 minute ago, Gareth E said:

I'd suggest they're absorbed with their hobby. Have a look at a snooker player playing a shot, or a tennis player maybe, they don't have a continual smile on their face.

No I think they just don't like boaters.

I live adjacent to a canal and walk the dog on the towpath daily, and they are happy to return a cheery hello to walkers. One regular who now knows that I own a boat says hello when I boat past him. Until I started walking past him and saying hello regularly, he used to ignore me when I boated past him once a week.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

No I think they just don't like boaters.

I'm not sure its as personal as that. I think they don't like their angling interrupted by boats going by. Its easy to think as we pass the angler we are just the one interruption but on the Southern Oxford for example, at certain times a boat seems to go past every five minutes for hours on end, so to anglers the constantly passing boats are a right PITA.

The only mitigating factor for the match fishermen is the all the others in the match will have to suffer the disruption of you passing just like they did.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure its as personal as that. I think they don't like their angling interrupted by boats going by. Its easy to think as we pass the angler we are just the one interruption but on the Southern Oxford for example, at certain times a boat seems to go past every five minutes for hours on end, so to anglers the constantly passing boats are a right PITA.

The only mitigating factor for the match fishermen is the all the others in the match will have to suffer the disruption of you passing just like they did.

Isn't that what fishing lakes were invented for? ?

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space.

5 hours ago, Gareth E said:

What are they absorbed in? A snooker or tennis player has to figure out angles, speed, trajectories.  An angler isn't even trying to outthink a fish, essentially he dangles food in the water and then sits still.

May I refer you to Ogden Nash (although about a different aquatic creature)?

"The hunter crouches in his blind

'Neath camouflage of every kind

And conjures up a quacking noise

To lend allure to his decoys.

This grown man, with pluck and luck,

Is hoping to outwit a duck."

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How little you know about angling. 

True enough. Last time I went fishing was in the sea off the South coast as a teenager. I can accept fly fishing is complex, but not that sitting in a predetermined spot dangling bait attached to a short bit of string on the end of a long pole into water is. You don't even have to learn to cast. But I'm willing to be educated. 

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

True enough. Last time I went fishing was in the sea off the South coast as a teenager. I can accept fly fishing is complex, but not that sitting in a predetermined spot dangling bait attached to a short bit of string on the end of a long pole into water is. You don't even have to learn to cast. But I'm willing to be educated. 

I carry out most of the disciplines within fishing, including fly fishing. Fly fishing isn't particularly complicated, compared to other disciplines. The river version (particularly small intimate rivers) is possibly where the most skill is needed. Wily fish, ready to scatter at the slightest disturbance. High banks strewn with vegetation, overhanging branches making casts to fish without spooking them a highly skilled practice. The choice of fly possibly doesn't have the importance some of the purists put on it, but it's a factor.

You could dangle a bait in the water and hope a fish comes along but you'd soon get bored of that. So many things effect the location and feeding behaviour of fish, and each species is different. Time of the year, water temperature, water clarity, atmospheric pressure and whether it's rising or falling, predator activity, and others. It's not a science but over time you can learn much of this through experience but however often you fished, a lifetime even, you'd never know it all. This is the fascination of fishing.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

Well, I think its rather cruel, outdated as a "sport". It's not a sport.

We could call it a hobby or a pastime, if that makes things easier.

37 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

I carry out most of the disciplines within fishing, including fly fishing. Fly fishing isn't particularly complicated, compared to other disciplines. The river version (particularly small intimate rivers) is possibly where the most skill is needed. Wily fish, ready to scatter at the slightest disturbance. High banks strewn with vegetation, overhanging branches making casts to fish without spooking them a highly skilled practice. The choice of fly possibly doesn't have the importance some of the purists put on it, but it's a factor.

You could dangle a bait in the water and hope a fish comes along but you'd soon get bored of that. So many things effect the location and feeding behaviour of fish, and each species is different. Time of the year, water temperature, water clarity, atmospheric pressure and whether it's rising or falling, predator activity, and others. It's not a science but over time you can learn much of this through experience but however often you fished, a lifetime even, you'd never know it all. This is the fascination of fishing.

I assume the fish think its all cruel.

I can see the point of catching a wild brown trout for the pot, watching the waters of the Test or the Tweed etcetera, but going to a fishing lake to catch some poor coarse fish for the fifteen time .................

If the point is to test your skill against a fish, well its all a bit sad.

.................. and, if these fishermen are throwing organic matter in the water, I call it pollution.

Edited by LadyG

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A bit like wild life spotting on the roadside if you chose a motorway roadside.

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I assume the fish think its all cruel.

I can see the point of catching a wild brown trout for the pot, watching the waters of the Test or the Tweed etcetera, but going to a fishing lake to catch some poor coarse fish for the fifteen time .................

If the point is to test your skill against a fish, well its all a bit sad.

.................. and, if these fishermen are throwing organic matter in the water, I call it pollution.

I don't think fish reason in that way. Like most animals they rely on highly tuned instincts to survive, nothing else.

It's not so much skill, more about developing a window into their world. It's a form of hunting, an instinct as natural to many men, as having babies is to many women. 

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Gareth E said:

I accept all that, but a canal fisherman (or the ones near my mooring) don't do any of that, surely. They always sit in the same place and drop their hoook in the same area. So, apart maybe from choice of bait, how are they taking any of these things into account? 

2 hours ago, DandV said:

A bit like wild life spotting on the roadside if you chose a motorway roadside.

I thought all the motorway verges were classed as linear nature reserves or wildlife sanctuaries these days.  The birds and animals are used to the noise from vehicles, and people are banned from going on them except briefly in an emergency.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I accept all that, but a canal fisherman (or the ones near my mooring) don't do any of that, surely. They always sit in the same place and drop their hoook in the same area. So, apart maybe from choice of bait, how are they taking any of these things into account? 

I used to fish with an very keen ex match fisherman and occasionally used to try and copy his methods and techniques just to see what he was doing.

Funny thing is he used to out catch me 2 to 3 fish to 1, he was so focused on what he was doing it was almost a trance.

If he wasn't catching he was watching the water and reading what the fish were doing, which then meant a change of bait/presentation/swim/feeding pattern.

Me I gave up and enjoyed what I caught and the world around me

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I fish a lot on the canals, but only when the conditions suit. On the Macc, in the winter that means a south or south westerly wind, the stronger the better. A gale is just perfect, if a bit uncomfortable. The big perch will then come out to play, on natural baits. In calmer conditions, or bright sunshine catching them on baits is less likely but roving with artificial lures often turns a couple up. The above is a generalisation, you can never guarantee anything. That's one of the interesting aspects of fishing, nothing is ever guaranteed or totally predictable. If it was, it would become dull.