Fishing rules opposite moored boats

bigcol

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

This afternoon I spotted a stainless steel match peg marker fixed on the lock landing. Lock 33 Rochdale canal. So some poor maggot downer draws that number and gets grumbled at. Came through a match in Mirfield, every lock landing had an occupied peg. Chaos! 

When this happened at Napton I complained to BW as they were then in the Stop House, the pegs were never fished.

I have managed to avoid being abused by anglers for a while, the last occasion was in May,  and even received a ''thank you'' on Saturday evening when I passed slowly and as far over as possible. The thanks was a first ! 

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Who here remembers the Close Season? mid March to mid June it was wonderful no fishists on the waterways. Shame it was abandoned for still waters, still applies on rivers.

Also applies in the Fens, The banksides are clear of the crap left behind by fisherman as well.

22 hours ago, bigcol said:

but no, they doing battle not only against each other

But boaters

walkers

runners

cyclists

and dogs

They need to buy a boat

But I am a cyclist who has got a boat. 

And I have a dog who lives on board - I'm not sure how she can buy a boat of her own to satisfy you though...!

On 03/09/2018 at 20:20, Jim Riley said:

This afternoon I spotted a stainless steel match peg marker fixed on the lock landing. Lock 33 Rochdale canal. So some poor maggot downer draws that number and gets grumbled at. Came through a match in Mirfield, every lock landing had an occupied peg. Chaos! 

I thought it was against the rules to fish within x metres of a lock.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which rule is that then?

Can I fish at a water point?

Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers. Fishing is not allowed within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or within 25 metres of a swing or lifting bridge. During peak boating season it is advisable to leave additional space at these locations as there may be boats queuing.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/angling-strategies/fishing-faqs

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Can I fish at a water point?

Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers. Fishing is not allowed within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or within 25 metres of a swing or lifting bridge. During peak boating season it is advisable to leave additional space at these locations as there may be boats queuing.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/angling-strategies/fishing-faqs

Thanks.

So it is a CRT rule then. What sanctions are available to miscreants? Limiting the rod licence to 3 months? 

Oh that prompts an idea. Rod licneces should be priced according to length!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks.

So it is a CRT rule then. What sanctions are available to miscreants? Limiting the rod licence to 3 months? 

Oh that prompts an idea. Rod licneces should be priced according to length!!!!

Perhaps they could section 8 their rods ?

My understanding (and I no doubt could find chapter and verse if I looked long enough) was that the angling clubs that lease waters from CaRT sign up to these rules as part of the lease and agree to enforce them with their members. Enforcement is then via a contractual means which could lead to the club's lease being terminated which would not be popular with their members. Should such an extreme event occur then the club would, be liable to its members for an reimbursement of membership fees, not CaRT.

28 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

I'm a keen angler as well as a live aboard boater. In 5 years I've never had any altercations with anglers.

Perhaps if you start with a negative attitude towards a group of people, that attitude will be returned to you, once you've displayed it.

Considering the surly response you get from a fair number of anglers for a cheery "Morning" as you go by, having slowed down and stuck carefully to the middle channel,  I think you're right.  Trouble is, the negativity seems mostly to come from them.  I maintain a cheery greeting just to annoy them, except at competitions when I accept they're concentrating, though on what I'm not sure as I can't work out why concentration should help much in outwitting fish.

I've only really had two snarling matches in thirty years, one who got his rod caught in my windowframe and the other from someone fishing on a lock mooring, so it's mostly a live and let live situation. Anyway, I like them - they're part of the infrastructure, like moored boats and dog poo.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Twice around here hooks and line dangling from tree branches have nearly had my eye out, only just spotted in time.

That'll be the fishermen ensuring you keep an eye out. An evil plan foiled by the superior intelligence of a boater. 

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So it is a CRT rule then. What sanctions are available to miscreants? 

None.

But they cant complain if they lose their tackle or some other fate worse than death

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

My understanding (and I no doubt could find chapter and verse if I looked long enough) was that the angling clubs that lease waters from CaRT sign up to these rules as part of the lease and agree to enforce them with their members. Enforcement is then via a contractual means which could lead to the club's lease being terminated which would not be popular with their members. Should such an extreme event occur then the club would, be liable to its members for an reimbursement of membership fees, not CaRT.

If everyone reported every angler  they see on a lock landing CaRT would pass it on to the clubs and they would enforce the rule. No reports, no problem. I once encountered a stretch "closed" for a fishing match. I phoned then BW and the closure signs came down PDQ. Anglers push the envelope to see what they can get away with, of course they do, so do boaters.

12 hours ago, bizzard said:

Twice around here hooks and line dangling from tree branches have nearly had my eye out, only just spotted in time.

My son got a hook, which was hanging in foliage, in the side of his neck while steering a boat through trees. Luckily he was going dead slow, and was able to stop and remove it before serious injury was caused.

4 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

My son got a hook, which was hanging in foliage, in the side of his neck while steering a boat through trees. Luckily he was going dead slow, and was able to stop and remove it before serious injury was caused.

This is it, if your not expecting them, they're difficult to see.

21 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Considering the surly response you get from a fair number of anglers for a cheery "Morning" as you go by, having slowed down and stuck carefully to the middle channel,  I think you're right.  Trouble is, the negativity seems mostly to come from them.  I maintain a cheery greeting just to annoy them, except at competitions when I accept they're concentrating, though on what I'm not sure as I can't work out why concentration should help much in outwitting fish.

I've only really had two snarling matches in thirty years, one who got his rod caught in my windowframe and the other from someone fishing on a lock mooring, so it's mostly a live and let live situation. Anyway, I like them - they're part of the infrastructure, like moored boats and dog poo.

I have observed this over a number of years, hence my jokes about anglers taking misery pills.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space.