Fishing rules opposite moored boats

bigcol

Featured Posts

Hi here we are, another lovely Sunday morning.

and opposite another fishing match begins

we have fishing matches a lot opposite us at Willowbridge.

just heard the guys lending each other catapults.

is there a law about fishing guys using catapults opposite moored boats please?

normally they use long poles with scoops

col 

We’ve had it before, all over the boat, wife and me got excited with them they stopped.

Getting the crap of your boat is hard work lol

best was to clean off, and piss the fisherman of is straight away start jet washing the boat down.

i really haven’t got a problem with fishinman, we get them all the time, some we have a laugh with, 

we enjoy the way their using and enjoying the canals.

but thought their was a bylaw about using catapults right opposite boats

col

I suppose the logical thing to do if they catapult crap all over your boat is to start your engine, run the prop, wash the boat down with detergent and pump the bilge out.  If they don't muck up the boat there isn't a problem, they'll all go away again in a few hours.

Or the final solution is just to go for a cruise... and if they have REALLY annoyed you, cruise up and down past the competition and moor up again as inefficiently as possible.

• Happy 1

Run your engine in gear for a few minutes, that will upset them. I did it a few years ago, escalated and ended up with the police armed response  squad in attendance after I threatened to shoot the B'stard for using his catapult to fire stones at me.

No fishing matches opposite since;)

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

Plenty of loud base music inside the boat, go for a walk. The fish will be miles away, so will the miserable pests that stick pins in fishes' faces.

The problem now is that there is so much money in match fishing, its a competitive business  now, no longer a sport or pastime but a money earner.

Edited by Boater Sam

C&RT sites just says "... make sure you take special care when fishing opposite craft. The critical thing is to prevent getting tackle and bait on boats and not making excessive noise ...".  There is supposed to be a video explaining more, but I couldn't find it!

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

C&RT sites just says "... make sure you take special care when fishing opposite craft. The critical thing is to prevent getting tackle and bait on boats and not making excessive noise ...".  There is supposed to be a video explaining more, but I couldn't find it!

I can't imagine the anglers studying the CRT site much. What do the angling sites say about all the bloody boats in the way??

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can't imagine the anglers studying the CRT site much. What do the angling sites say about all the bloody boats in the way??

At least one angling club (near Goldstone, Shroppie) displays signs saying bait must be introduced by cup adjacent to boats.  Use of a catapult will result in expulsion from the club.  So some, at least, do try.

George

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The MKAA site says, in relation to the GU: "Take particular care not to disturb residents of boats on far bank at The Boatyard.  Don't hit boats with ground-bait, loose feed or tackle."  MKAA do occasionally kick out members who don't obey their rules.

I heard a rumour and I am saying no more than that , that the fishing at a certain length near London was systematically ruined by the daily introduction of the crystals that are used to prevent men's urinals from smelling. Having moored in that area in the height of angler issues in the 1980s, I don't blame the people who it's said resolved the issue.

most anglers now are pleasant, it used to be full on hassle. I once put one in the canal who was sitting on the bow of the motor , breasted on the outside of the butty, on our permenant mooring. His response to ' what the f are you doing .' Was ' there is no law of trespass on a  f..ing boat' my response aged 24 was smack.. Into the cut, fishing kit followed. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I heard a rumour and I am saying no more than that , that the fishing at a certain length near London was systematically ruined by the daily introduction of the crystals that are used to prevent men's urinals from smelling. Having moored in that area in the height of angler issues in the 1980s, I don't blame the people who it's said resolved the issue.

most anglers now are pleasant, it used to be full on hassle. I once put one in the canal who was sitting on the bow of the motor , breasted on the outside of the butty, on our permenant mooring. His response to ' what the f are you doing .' Was ' there is no law of trespass on a  f..ing boat' my response aged 24 was smack.. Into the cut, fishing kit followed. 

But he was in breach of Merchant Shipping Act 1995 Part 4 Section 104 Subsection A

So, we are moored on the towpath side but its sort of grassy and natural, whilst the offside is a lovely stone built wharf with a couple of continuous moorers, so this bit of canal is sort of back to front. But still the fishermen sit on this side and use long poles to fish on the offside even though that is the built up side with deep open water. I can only assume that its nothing about shading and water depth, but that the fish actually spot the fishermen and lurk on the opposite side.

...............Dave

Boaters and Anglers are the 2 groups who care most about our canals; in the main, most others just take advantage of the towpath.  I'd have thought the CRT would be working very closely with the National Federation of Anglers (or similar bodies) to ensure that Anglers and Boaters can "share the space" in harmony.  I find it odd that there's nothing in the Boater's Handbook about interfacing with anglers and nothing on the CRT website. It's a bit obscure, but so I'd be surprised if many Boaters have read it, but there is a link from the CRT Boating pages to Willow Wren's "Considerate Boater", from where there's a link to this:

Anglers

Anglers deserve their own mention in the role of the Considerate Boater.Angler

As one of the more prolific users of the inland waterway system, boaters regularly meet and occasionally come into conflict with people enjoying this very popular activity.

The answer when coming across anglers, especially a fishing competition on the bank, is to treat them with the same respect as any other waterway user that has a legitimate right to be there.

The occasional angler might feel that boaters are the intruders and the only way to change their view, (albeit with time), is to be as considerate as possible when meeting them.

Masterclass

Slow down to engine tick over, as you would when passing a moored boat, and stick to the middle of the waterway, unless the anglers indicate otherwise. Don't increase your engine revs until you are at least a boat length beyond the angler.

When you have done this, have a look over your shoulder and you will almost certainly see the last angler giving you acknowledgement of your consideration.

If the angler is landing a big fish as you approach then stop! He/she will be grateful and it will be interesting to watch.

Avoid

If you are about to moor up on a Friday or Saturday night and you can see fishing club markers on the towing path, you might be well advised to moor somewhere else. If there is a fishing competition the following day then you might get an early alarm call as they set up their equipment and also find your boat surrounded by anglers.

I wonder how much exposure the Anglers get to the needs of Boaters?  Some individual angling clubs have obviously made an effort, but I think it encubent upon CRT to liaise with Angling Authorities and provide them with definitive guidance regarding boats for them too. 

For example, boaters think there should be no fishing on lock landings, which certainly makes sense to us, but clearly it's a favourite spot for many anglers.  How are they to know they shouldn't be there?  There are no "No Fishing" signs at any lock landings I can remember.  Perhaps they should realise because of the white rings or bollards, but where would they read that?  Many Boaters either don't know the significance of those or choose to ignore them.  There are countless other situations where Anglers and Boaters interface and frequently both think they know best - who's fault is that?

The CRT could help by placing signs where appropriate, but far more could be done if they put more effort into ensuring that their 2 main user groups understood each other better and had a shared set of rules or guidance.

Edited by Sea Dog
Missing words.
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I find it odd that there's nothing in the Boater's Handbook about interfacing with anglers ...

You mean apart from:

p9:  "Go slowly past boats, anglers and other waterway users."

p13: "Don't moor: …. In stretches marked out for an angling match"

p52: "Slow down approaching bridges, locks, bends or junctions, and when passing boats or anglers."

p55:  "Respect other waterways users: …

…..  Waterways tend to be quiet, peaceful places. And they’re for everyone to enjoy – boaters, walkers, anglers, cyclists and others

…… Keep to the centre of the channel when passing anglers – unless they ask otherwise. Reduce your wash, but keep a steady pace"

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You mean apart from:

p9:  "Go slowly past boats, anglers and other waterway users."

p13: "Don't moor: …. In stretches marked out for an angling match"

p52: "Slow down approaching bridges, locks, bends or junctions, and when passing boats or anglers."

p55:  "Respect other waterways users: …

…..  Waterways tend to be quiet, peaceful places. And they’re for everyone to enjoy – boaters, walkers, anglers, cyclists and others

…… Keep to the centre of the channel when passing anglers – unless they ask otherwise. Reduce your wash, but keep a steady pace"

Ok, point taken, there is sporadic mention, but there's nothing in the contents list to steer us towards. There's no section we can turn to in order to read the Anglers side of the issue or look something specific up, and there's lots of stuff not there which ought to be easily shared by both anglers and Boaters.  There's clearly an issue, surely?  Even if you think what's in the Boater's Handbook is sufficient (I don't) how are the Anglers supposed to know how to interface with boats and boaters?

22 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Plenty of loud base music inside the boat, go for a walk. The fish will be miles away, so will the miserable pests that stick pins in fishes' faces.

The problem now is that there is so much money in match fishing, its a competitive business  now, no longer a sport or pastime but a money earner.

I was walking past an angling match with the dogs the other day and one of the competitors had his roach pole straddled across the towpath.  It's ok I said the dogs can jump over it, no way he said, one of the guys had his pole broken by a dog that was £5,000 up the swanee.  As you say it's a big money industry now.

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

how are the Anglers supposed to know how to interface with boats and boaters?

As far as lock landings go, after the first boat has come in to tie up to wait for the lock, or to tie up to go back and shut the gate, they'll have learnt. The fact that they obviously don't implies that they've either exchanged their brain cells with the fish or they simply want to be awkward.

Rather the same goes for the long poles - you end up sometimes with fishermen on both sides of the canal, both with long poles fishing on the opposite side.  All very odd.  But then I never quite understood why sticking a hook through the roof of a living animal's  mouth was supposed to be fun, anyway, so I just try to keep out of their way, as I do from anyone whose sanity I feel is slightly in question.