License for Grand Union

Cruiser_Boy

Featured Posts

Hi ,

I’m new to boating and hope to have a new boat by the end of September. Offer in place awaiting survey.

It’s currently on the Trent and Mersey canal and I want to move it onto the Grand Union for mooring - Crick preferably.

I intend to buy a gold license in January but until then I will buy a license for the GU only.

Will this cover all arms of the GU or just some of it?

The Leicester arm of the GU seems to swap between GU and the river Soar. Does the license cover the river as well?

Also what’s the cheapest way to be licensed for the short trip down  the T and M to get onto the GU?

Hi and good luck with the boat. You don't buy a licence for individual canals - one Canal and River Trust licence covers all the canals and rivers. Best read their website for full details and to find what suits your needs.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat

12 minutes ago, starman said:

Hi and good luck with the boat. You don't buy a licence for individual canals - one Canal and River Trust licence covers all the canals and rivers. Best read their website for full details and to find what suits your needs.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat

That's not quite right, but it covers all the areas asked about by the OP.

CRT licences cover the canals and rivers that CRT are the navigation authority for - which is most of them.

Other navigation authorities exist -  for example the EA, if you want to go on the Thames or the East Anglian rivers/navigations.  Other specific areas have different requirements - the River Avon, the Bridgewater Canal, the Basingstoke Canal etc.

Edited by TheBiscuits

Whether you'll need a gold licence (which is for a calendar year) depends on where you plan to go in 2019, as follows:

A CRT only annual licence runs for a year, can start in any month, and will cover you for all CRT waters, among which are all those you need to get you from the T&M to Crick. You might go via the Coventry canal, the North Oxford to Braunston, then the GU to Crick. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the alternative route via the Trent and Soar is also all CRT waters?

If you plan to go on EA waters briefly during 2019, e.g. to just spend the odd week on the Thames, your best way may be to have a normal CRT licence and just buy a one week licence from EA. If you want to use their waters rather longer, then a gold licence would be the way to go. I'm not sure what other navigation authorities the gold licence covers.

1 hour ago, Cruiser_Boy said:

Hi ,

I’m new to boating and hope to have a new boat by the end of September. Offer in place awaiting survey.

It’s currently on the Trent and Mersey canal and I want to move it onto the Grand Union for mooring - Crick preferably.

I intend to buy a gold license in January but until then I will buy a license for the GU only.

The Leicester arm of the GU seems to swap between GU and the river Soar. Does the license cover the river as well?

Also what’s the cheapest way to be licensed for the short trip down  the T and M to get onto the GU?

To buy a boat without taking the time to research what that entails , is a bit reckless, there is a lot to be learned.

8 hours ago, Timx said:

To buy a boat without taking the time to research what that entails , is a bit reckless, there is a lot to be learned.

Be fair, at least he’s getting a survey, unlike the poor sod on the Boatshed thread. Sorting out which licence you need is not of the same order of risk and you could say he’s doing the research, he’s asked on here ?.

15 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Be fair, at least he’s getting a survey, unlike the poor sod on the Boatshed thread. Sorting out which licence you need is not of the same order of risk and you could say he’s doing the research, he’s asked on here ?.

Always leave your research til afterwards: there's far fewer technicalities to get in the way of your plan then - and if it all goes wrong you can probably find someone else to blame. :D

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Cruiser_Boy said:

Hi ,

When you say Crick, do you mean Crick Marina?  Have you spoken with them about availability of moorings already?  If not, you might want to talk to the office sooner rather than later.  It is likely to be full over the winter months.

14 hours ago, Timx said:

He may not be as strapped for cash as others. When I was working, I just accepted the small financial challenges that came along, otherwise you have to spend night and day tweaking your spreadsheets., life is for living..

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Cruiser_Boy said:

Starman, TheBiscuits and Peter X. Thank you for the constructive and helpful replies. I misunderstood the wording on the CRT website where they talked about if you need a license for 'any one of our canals'.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Take note of contacting your hoped for moorings. A lot of people move into marinas for the winter now as its better value than a CRT winter mooring in a lot of cases