Charging for towpath mooring

Mike55

Featured Posts

We went past Bosworth Marina, on the Ashby, today for the first time for over a year. Just outside the marina signs have appeared stating visitor mooring £5. Bearing in mind that this is the towpath side, can they do this? Unsurprisingly the boats that were moored were just beyond this area. We weren't intending to moor there today, but were considering it on our return to visit Market Bosworth. I'll be damned if I'll pay £5 to moor on the towpath though. Has anyone else come across similar elsewhere?

46 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

We went past Bosworth Marina, on the Ashby, today for the first time for over a year. Just outside the marina signs have appeared stating visitor mooring £5. Bearing in mind that this is the towpath side, can they do this? Unsurprisingly the boats that were moored were just beyond this area. We weren't intending to moor there today, but were considering it on our return to visit Market Bosworth. I'll be damned if I'll pay £5 to moor on the towpath though. Has anyone else come across similar elsewhere?

Loads of places that are part of marina or boatyard usualy opposite.

At llangollen it's sort of acceptable, as CRT have provided power and water at every towpath mooring.  On the Ashby, if I recall, there's no indication that the towpath has anything to do with the Marina opposite, just these signs that have appeared recently. There's a similar confusion (well, it confuses me) at the mere just before the marina on the upper Macc - it seems to be permanently occupied by longstaying and permanently moored boats, but there's nothing to say that it's private - it certainly didn't used to be.

Surely, the assumption should be that unless it is clearly signposted as such by CRT (not just by someone who fancies sticking up a notice) the towpath is available to us?

I think if you look at the shape of the marina and the new bridge they bought a chunk of from  crt ,built the new bridge and then ended up owning the redundant bit of bank. Mrs S was incandescent when she saw it. I told her to calm down because the daily change of boat caused by the charge, stops those cheapskate permenant moorers ruining the view for our tenants. I didn't pay either, we don't get enough rent.

Chunk of land...

Well it raises an interesting point. £5 a day is £1,825 a year which is quite a bargain for a permanent mooring these days for a 70ft boat. Would CRT be within their rights to start sending the 'continue with your journey' emails they use as the first step in hassling CMers, if the moorings are being paid for? 

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well it raises an interesting point. £5 a day is £1,825 a year which is quite a bargain for a permanent mooring these days for a 70ft boat. Would CRT be within their rights to start sending the 'continue with your journey' emails they use as the first step in hassling CMers, if the moorings are being paid for? 

Can't see how they could, if it's now private land.  They'd send a bill for the EOG mooring permit though.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Can't see how they could, if it's now private land.  They'd send a bill for the EOG mooring permit though.

Good point. I wonder how many days a mooring can be let for before triggering the EOG charge.

In fact I wonder if CRT should demand the EOG charge anyway.

45 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think all this was covered in the other thread that discussed this a moment nth or two ago.  The marina are within their rights to charge, which gives you access to the marina facilities as well.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

At llangollen it's sort of acceptable, as CRT have provided power and water at every towpath mooring.  On the Ashby, if I recall, there's no indication that the towpath has anything to do with the Marina opposite, just these signs that have appeared recently. There's a similar confusion (well, it confuses me) at the mere just before the marina on the upper Macc - it seems to be permanently occupied by longstaying and permanently moored boats, but there's nothing to say that it's private - it certainly didn't used to be.

Surely, the assumption should be that unless it is clearly signposted as such by CRT (not just by someone who fancies sticking up a notice) the towpath is available to us?

I assume that you mean the wide bit just before Higher Poynton? That isn't private, but there is seldom a gap, as it is a favourite spot for the Continuously Cruising not-very-far contingent.

The other side of the bridge (15-14) is CRT Long Term moorings.

8 hours ago, mayalld said:

I assume that you mean the wide bit just before Higher Poynton? That isn't private, but there is seldom a gap, as it is a favourite spot for the Continuously Cruising not-very-far contingent.

That’s the bit ironically called The Deeps. There is a fair bit of churn there, but you have to get there early in the day to get a space. Back in the day, BW tried to make it time limited, IIRC, but all the signs disappeared.

11 hours ago, mayalld said:

That's the bit.  I thought, as per someone else's post, I remembered seeing 48 hour limit signs there.  haven't been able to get a space there for years though.

I think they have a permenant already just before the marina where the tap used to be , again in the line of the new towpath, judging by the bikes in the hedge and the carp...that's what it looked like. If it's there next time  I have to go and fix a fuse I'll know for sure. ( bloody management company wanting 50 to change a circuit breaker).

A similar question came to my mind a few days ago when passing here. However, the signs only apply to a very short distance north of the marina entrance after which conventional CaRT signage applies. I did wonder whether it was a covert attempt to stop boats mooring too close to the entrance.

What did annoy me even more was that, as far as I can see, the entrance is where a milepost used to be and no attempt has been made tor replace kit. But then I have a fetish for mile markers!

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Llangollen - there is a charge for mooring on the Tow-path

Nottingham - outside of Castle marina  there is a charge for mooring on the tow-path

There are numerous examples but these are the 1st two to spring to mind

+ Winter moorings and Long Term moorings? I mean, they are also usually on the towpath side. 

Where will it end? 

47 minutes ago, rowland al said:

+ Winter moorings and Long Term moorings? I mean, they are also usually on the towpath side. 

Where will it end? 

CRT's original idea was to get rid of online long term moorings by encouraging marinas.  That policy seems to have been dumped, partly, I suspect, because the new marinas all immediately rented out their canal frontage for moorings, so rather demolishing the intended consequence of fewer boats mooring online.

20 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's the bit.  I thought, as per someone else's post, I remembered seeing 48 hour limit signs there.  haven't been able to get a space there for years though.

You can get in there at the moment.

The isolation has resulted in less boats (most leisure boaters aren't bothering), and we managed to moor there twice in the past fortnight.