Help identify this part?

Nick D

Featured Posts

I found this item in my engine bay this morning but despite all my endeavours can’t seem to find where it’s from. It looks like it only has to be hand tight so I imagine it’s a cover for something?  Bit of a long shot, I know but any ideas? I have a Canal Line 42 engine and whilst I check daily, it’s possible I didn’t notice it before.

DBB33EB2-3050-45DE-A28F-AFB69B0C325E.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Nick D said:

I found this item in my engine bay this morning but despite all my endeavours can’t seem to find where it’s from. It looks like it only has to be hand tight so I imagine it’s a cover for something?  Bit of a long shot, I know but any ideas? I have a Canal Line 42 engine and whilst I check daily, it’s possible I didn’t notice it before.

DBB33EB2-3050-45DE-A28F-AFB69B0C325E.jpeg

Well a photo of each end would help enormously!

Is there a hole right through it or is it blocked off?

Is it a plain hole or threaded? How deep? Is it clean inside or oily? How big is it? Is that Hexagrip in the background? If so, the component must about half an inch long I guess...

Oh, and does the blue paint on it match the engine paint? Or anything else in the boat?

10 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Yes, thanks all. It’s off the end of the tap to the sump pump! Would have loaded more photos but don’t know how to reduce the image size of a photo taken with an iPhone. Any ideas?

It was good enough for us to identify it for you - how many more do you need? :D 

16 minutes ago, Nick D said:

don’t know how to reduce the image size of a photo taken with an iPhone. Any ideas?

I usually crop them. There’s probably an app for it but I’ve never looked as it’s only this site where it matters. 

8 hours ago, dmr said:

If you'd searched the forum you would have found somebody else asking a very similar question about a year ago ?

................Dave

You mean someone has actually been able to find something using the search function?  I just usually get about ten pages of irrelevant posts.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You mean someone has actually been able to find something using the search function?  I just usually get about ten pages of irrelevant posts.

Try it again.  That was the case a few months ago, but you will be pleasantly surprised when you try it next time.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Now the search engine actually works, the main skill in searching lies in crafting an appropriate search term.

17 hours ago, dmr said:

If you'd searched the forum you would have found somebody else asking a very similar question about a year ago ?

................Dave

I’ve tried searching as I’m also interested how to post reduced file size photos via my iPad - no success.

Has anyone found it please or have any advice?

I’m fine when emailing, but I’m stumped when posting to the forum.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Now the search engine actually works, the main skill in searching lies in crafting an appropriate search term.

Wise words Mike! ?

3 hours ago, gbclive said:

I’ve tried searching as I’m also interested how to post reduced file size photos via my iPad - no success.

Has anyone found it please or have any advice?

I’m fine when emailing, but I’m stumped when posting to the forum.

Wise words Mike! ?

Although I use a Samsung phone, I searched for a free photo size reducing app and downloaded "Litphoto". It works well.

I suggest you search for a similar iPhone compatible app.

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

I suggest you search for a similar iPhone compatible app.

Okeydoke - just wondered if there was a direct way when posting that was less of a palava ?

I’ll give one a try.

The 2mb limit for uploading a photo is ridiculously and pathetically small given today’s standards for image size, data storage and transfer. Why is it so small? And when was it introduced? Is this a new limit? I’ve not encountered it until recently. 

Surely our (or any) image server is going to be hundreds of gigabytes if not terabytes so why the limit? A typical photo taken on even a phone is going to be typically 4mb so there are always going to be difficulties wit a 2mb limit. 

If our image server is so small it prevents even the smallest phone photos being uploaded without a load of fiddling with the file size first, what is the point of having an image server? We may as well revert to third party image hosting like before. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

7 minutes ago, gbclive said:

Personaly I want to reduce file sizes to avoid wasting my limited data allowance when posting from the boat.

Which you could still do, even if the size limit was much greater.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

You could, but should you open a post with a big picture, then you will download it and use up your data.

That's a slightly different issue though. I was responding to a post about sending data from a connection.

Edited by MJG