Does anyone paint their boat with a matt finish?

Featured Posts

I've just painted a coat of grey Hemple undercoat/primer. I'll put another coat on before applying the topcoats, but I quite like the undercoat's matt finish because it looks flat and hides my uneven prep. I know as soon as I apply the gloss topcoats it will show up every flaw. I'm not a big fan of shiny boats so I was just wondering if anyone has painted their cabin sides with a matt paint and why more people don't do it?

I painted Innisfree with 50/50 mix Nato Brunswick? Matt and Rylard Yacht Green gloss. Applied thin coats to avoid runs with short hair gloss roller and went back over with dry roller to accentuate the semi matt finish. Really flattens out the bumps and lumps on cabin sides. Very quick and easy to do. 

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've just painted a coat of grey Hemple undercoat/primer. I'll put another coat on before applying the topcoats, but I quite like the undercoat's matt finish because it looks flat and hides my uneven prep. I know as soon as I apply the gloss topcoats it will show up every flaw. I'm not a big fan of shiny boats so I was just wondering if anyone has painted their cabin sides with a matt paint and why more people don't do it?

We got the local bodyshop supplier to mix us up sample pots of gloss, semi-gloss and matt in our chosen colours.

The matt looked so much better on our battered cabinsides that we went for it.  I suspect most people don't know you can get it in any colour you like, just by adding a matting agent and getting it properly mixed.

My boat was probably gloss 27 years ago when new but now it is matt, and I much prefer the absence of shine.

international do a matting agent for addition to gloss paint to change it to matt but huge proportions are necessary according to the instructions. They say paint with the normal gloss to get the colour density, then a final coat of 25% gloss and 75% matting agent turns it Matt. 

My own experience with using it for touching in is with 75% gloss and 25% matting agent and this is still quite shiny. 

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We got the local bodyshop supplier to mix us up sample pots of gloss, semi-gloss and matt in our chosen colours.

But don’t car body shops sell cellulose paint for spraying rather than oil based paint for brushing/rollering?

and do they really colour match? My experience of colour matching services is they are nothing of the sort. They just choose you the nearest colour to yours from the RAL chart. 

Matting agent. That's a new one on me. I could just leave the undercoat as my topcoat!

By the way, I've already applied 2 coats of primer so how many coats of undercoat do I need? The instructions say 2 but it's a primer/undercoat, so the instructions are talking about painting it to bare steel. I'm just using the undercoat as a tie layer between the primer and topcoats.

IMG_20180901_100959_533.jpg

Might have to start another thread on this question...

Edited by blackrose

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But don’t car body shops sell cellulose paint for spraying rather than oil based paint for brushing/rollering?

and do they really colour match? My experience of colour matching services is they are nothing of the sort. They just choose you the nearest colour to yours from the RAL chart. 

Depends on the supplier, but I'm quite a fan of Masons paints.

Shirley choosing the nearest colour (to an actual sample) from a RAL chart *is* colour matching - I don't argue with Mrs Biscuit on this topic as she used to do that sort of thing professionally.  I just say "Yes dear" a lot.

In our case it didn't matter, as we were switching from a vaguely Midnight Blue to British Standard Crimson matt - which looks like nicely finished red oxide to me :D

I like Navy painting - chipping hammer in one hand, brush in the other and cover the metal.  SWMBO has much higher standards and uses filler and sanders and all that messing about.

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Shirley choosing the nearest colour (to an actual sample) from a RAL chart *is* colour matching -

No, that is picking the nearest colour in the RAL chart to the sample you produced, not colour matching.

Not so important if you are  choosing a colour to paint something from scratch, but if you are touching in or adding to some existing paint then exactly matching the colour is important and colours that are only 'pretty damned close', look awful and stand out like the proverbial. Don't ask me how much I have spent finding this out. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
speeling

3 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I regularly buy paint from my local supplier to the car repair trade. They are pretty much able to supply all types of oil based paint in most colours, including Tekaloid, Masons and Craftmaster ranges.

Is that Grove Group Dave?  They are the ones we use, and I have seen some of our local full-time boat painters in there buying stuff.

23 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I like Navy painting - chipping hammer in one hand, brush in the other and cover the metal.  SWMBO has much higher standards and uses filler and sanders and all that messing about.

Not only chipping hammer and paint. Queens silver Jubilee it was absolutely banging down with rain and we steamed full tilt to get there and had a cloth in one hand to wipe rain off, then painted with brush in other hand. It looked fine to her as she went past on Brittania.

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

How do you find keeping the surface clean? Does dirt tend to stick to a matt finish? 

Haven't noticed it as being a problem but then I do give it a rub down with eukanuba (spelling) wax which I did  with my gloss finish, make a it easier to shift duck crap 

Phil 

2 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Haven't noticed it as being a problem but then I do give it a rub down with eukanuba (spelling) wax which I did  with my gloss finish, make a it easier to shift duck crap 

Phil 

Makes a right dog's dinner that stuff :D

Did you mean Carnuba wax?