Gas pipes - Grommets/Sleeves required?

Laurence and Isobel

Featured Posts

On 24/09/2018 at 18:56, Laurence and Isobel said:

We haven't put in the pipes yet, what thickness are you supposed to use? thanks

I think asking this many questions about a gas installation shouts to me that you should be getting a professional in to do the gas work. 

There isn't much on a boat that I wouldn't touch but gas is a no- no to me, most I ever did was fit a supplied pipe to a location for a Morco whilst rebuilding an interior and left it for the owner or gas fitter to sort the ends out.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

I think asking this many questions about a gas installation shouts to me that you should be getting a professional in to do the gas work.

I'm not sure that is a valid comment on the face of it. Asking questions about what is required is fair enough. The more worrying thing is that the OP seems not to know that there are standards governing gas installations it is best to comply with. I think a reading of PD54823:2016 would help the OP enormously, and fill in most of the gaps in his or her knowledge. I believe it can be perused on line free of charge by joining Manchester Library.

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Hmmmm, are you sure? BS EN ISO 10239:2017 requires pipes up to 12mm to have a wall thickness of 0.6mm. I think it used to be 0.8mm in the old and now obsolete version of the ISO.

edit: 10mm copper pipe sold by ASAP has a wall thickness of 1mm.

The problem is (or used to be), that most copper pipe on the market from plumbers merchants is sold for use in microbore heating systems and has a thinner wall thickness, yet looks exactly the same. And trade counter staff don't know the difference so will happily flog the cheap and thin walled heating microbore tube to people asking for 10mm tube for gas on a boat. 

You might right about the 2017 version of ISO 10239, I don't have a copy of it. It might even have been reduced specifically because most microbore in plumbers merchants is 0.6mm wall thickness and the difference doesn't matter a hoot. I don't know, not being an installer these days. I'm getting out of date on this stuff that doesn't concern me professionally these days. 

On 31/08/2018 at 20:12, Laurence and Isobel said:

Hello! The idea is that the pipe runs along under the gunwale then drops down through a hole so it can access back of cooker. What makes you think its vulnerable and where else could it go? Open to suggestions here, but figured having pipe clipped under the gunwale keeps it all visible...

Run the pipework underneath the worktop, through the back of the units. 

Edited by BWM

9 hours ago, BWM said:

Run the pipework underneath the worktop, through the back of the units. 

My kitchen worktops are at gunwale height so the gas pipe simply runs under the gunwale and then under the worktop. The worktop height happens to be right for me at that level but different boats will have different floor to gunwale heights. 

But I have had to cut holes in the worktop to allow water and gas pipes to come from underneath to connect to an instant water heater. 

DSC_5953.JPG

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

My kitchen worktops are at gunwale height so the gas pipe simply runs under the gunwale and then under the worktop. The worktop height happens to be right for me at that level but different boats will have different floor to gunwale heights. 

But I have had to cut holes in the worktop to allow water and gas pipes to come from underneath to connect to an instant water heater. 

DSC_5953.JPG

That makes sense and leaves a tidy end result with your set up, and popping a short tail up and into a water heater is logical - I have the same, but I don't think what is being suggested by the op would give the best outcome. It would be tidier to run it through the units and this would have the added benefit of allowing an accessible isolation valve to be fitted in the unit beside the cooker, the picture above would suggest that any valve fitted would be behind the cooker which is unacceptable. 

On 31/08/2018 at 20:03, Murflynn said:

no they don't.   gunnel is just fine.  :P

It appears so. According to three different dictionaries online, the terms are interchangeable, "gunnel" being a variant of "gunwale." A gunnel is also a fish it would seem. Every day is a school day.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/gunnel

Edited by Guest