It’s Been a while - have things changed THAT much?

Circe

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I would have to agree that the idiots are in a very small minority. Perhaps I've been lucky but I haven't managed to meet any of them this year in the last 1000 miles (tempting fate perhaps:rolleyes:). I don't force myself on anyone and if they want to be left alone that is fine by me, but generally I have found most people to be a lot more sociable than you would necessarily find on a shore-bound lifestyle, because we all have at least one thing in common, an interest in boats and boating. I'm not even sure that the criticism of those who have spent a lot on their boats is entirely valid, the most number who have 'blanked' me over the years have have been the 'alternatives' who possibly started out as a new age traveller in a converted bus and have now moved onto the waterways. If someone is working on their boat, either painting,cleaning or polishing as I go past I will always put out a greeting, it is only the latter who have totally ignored me. I'm not bothered, just reporting my experiences.

In general I agree with you, it is a giant community but when you meet old friends, it has a village mentality.

My observations are the same. Not sure why they don't pick up and join in with the camaraderie.

There have been 75 here supporting the OP and I agree it was very bad form for the guy to park a 60ft boat in the middle of a limited mooring and refuse to move because of a sattelite issue. I would however like to make a case for those of us who do use sattelite for TV. I use it as one option for TV. I am not camping. A normal antenna is my other option. OK. There's a Liverpool match on Sky at 5.30pm. I am a mad Liverpool fan and will not miss their games. I set off that day at 9am and do 2 or 3 hours arriving at a mooring (in the middle of nowhere) before lunch. I find a spot to moor where I can get a signal. The key issue is trees and getting the boat in exactly the right spot to get a gap in the trees. Ever tried this on the south stratford!? Often its ok and you can move the boat forward or back 10 yards but there are times when it is impossible to keep the signal due to the trees. Its not about re-tuning. Its about having a gap in the trees. Get there early. I tie up. Not another boat in sight. The mooring then starts filling up. By 6pm with the match in full swing, a hire boater turns up and asks me to move. I got there early as I wanted to choose where I could park. I would ask him to breast up. We always did this on lumpywater boats. Why NBs dont do the same thing I dont know.

We are usually very accomodating and would always let someone breast up, but if there is a match on and I am stuck in a specific spot due to trees, I wont be happy to move if I got there very early and the new guy has just 'expected' to get a mooring of his choice very late in the day. Also we rarely get asked to move as we usually park at the ends of a stretch of armco so there is nowhere to move. Yes, it is very inconsiderate to moor in the middle of a short stretch so stopping anyone else getting in so we dont do that. Also I am saying here we are parking in the middle of knowhere and not next to a pub which is bound to be busy.

Before you criticise a satellite user, just have a quick think about what they want. Yes the guy in the OP's post may be a plonker but in other circumstances it may be a different story.

It does raise the issue of mooring in general ........and our way of handling it is to do our boating early rather than later. We are usually out in the morning and moored up by 1-2pm. That way we rarely have problems mooring. Turning up at 7pm, you risk finding a place where you want to park (not saying the OP did that.....she did not post a time).

Stand by to recieve a flaming.

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

My observations are the same. Not sure why they don't pick up and join in with the camaraderie.

With the "alternatives" who have set up camp on the ditch it is because they have an overly heightened sense of their own self importance and somehow think that the waterways are there for their own personal use. Anybody else daring to own a boat who doesn't sign up to their "alternative" lifestyle is just an annoyance to them :angry:

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

There have been 75 here supporting the OP and I agree it was very bad form for the guy to park a 60ft boat in the middle of a limited mooring and refuse to move because of a sattelite issue. I would however like to make a case for those of us who do use sattelite for TV. I use it as one option for TV. I am not camping. A normal antenna is my other option. OK. There's a Liverpool match on Sky at 5.30pm. I am a mad Liverpool fan and will not miss their games. I set off that day at 9am and do 2 or 3 hours arriving at a mooring (in the middle of nowhere) before lunch. I find a spot to moor where I can get a signal. The key issue is trees and getting the boat in exactly the right spot to get a gap in the trees. Ever tried this on the south stratford!? Often its ok and you can move the boat forward or back 10 yards but there are times when it is impossible to keep the signal due to the trees. Its not about re-tuning. Its about having a gap in the trees. Get there early. I tie up. Not another boat in sight. The mooring then starts filling up. By 6pm with the match in full swing, a hire boater turns up and asks me to move. I got there early as I wanted to choose where I could park. I would ask him to breast up. We always did this on lumpywater boats. Why NBs dont do the same thing I dont know.

We are usually very accomodating and would always let someone breast up, but if there is a match on and I am stuck in a specific spot due to trees, I wont be happy to move if I got there very early and the new guy has just 'expected' to get a mooring of his choice very late in the day. Also we rarely get asked to move as we usually park at the ends of a stretch of armco so there is nowhere to move. Yes, it is very inconsiderate to moor in the middle of a short stretch so stopping anyone else getting in so we dont do that. Also I am saying here we are parking in the middle of knowhere and not next to a pub which is bound to be busy.

Before you criticise a satellite user, just have a quick think about what they want. Yes the guy in the OP's post may be a plonker but in other circumstances it may be a different story.

It does raise the issue of mooring in general ........and our way of handling it is to do our boating early rather than later. We are usually out in the morning and moored up by 1-2pm. That way we rarely have problems mooring. Turning up at 7pm, you risk finding a place where you want to park (not saying the OP did that.....she did not post a time).

Agreed. We have found ourselves in those shoes a couple of times this year already. Latterly over the bank holiday weekend when we have intended to stop at Washingborough on Friday evening only to find it full. No problem we will carry onto Fiskerton Fen. Low and behold that is also "full" (I say "full" as we could have squeezed on had people moored sensibly and not left twat gaps between boats!). By now it is getting late so we push on to Bardney where we do eventually find a mooring but it is gone 10pm and we have travelled a good couple of hours further than anticipated!

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We were much earlier than that and mooring alongside would have been absolutely fine with us if he had let us. Chap was fishing when we talked to him, so no imminent telly. Maybe we caught him in a bad mood on a bad day?

If our boy could have seen no space, he would have got that. There was space though - just not enough at either end of the mooring to fit on. Ah well. Still planning on another hire in the near future ;)

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Bob. Life is way too short to watch a load of daft blokes kicking a ball about. Get a life mate there realy is much more than poxy football out there innitt ?

• Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

We moored in Fradley on very popular moorings, we arrived early afternoon and moored in a space sharing a ring with the next boat. Not long after us arriving the boat sharing the ring moved off leaving us in the middle of a much larger space so I went out and moved up closing the gap and leaving one big space. After another short time the boat we had moved up to set off so again leaving us with a space in front, at this point I couldn't be bothered to go and move the boat again. 

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I'm not buying it Dr Bob. If you were that much of a fan you would be at the game. :P

JP

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Circe said:

We were much earlier than that and mooring alongside would have been absolutely fine with us if he had let us. Chap was fishing when we talked to him, so no imminent telly. Maybe we caught him in a bad mood on a bad day?

If our boy could have seen no space, he would have got that. There was space though - just not enough at either end of the mooring to fit on. Ah well. Still planning on another hire in the near future ;)

I'm still a bit puzzled by all this. Why not just moor with one end of the boat on whatever VM armco was available and let the stern(or the bow) hang off the end? I do this constantly, in fact finding 6ft of armco available to get my bow onto seems like pure luxury sometimes. Would doing this have troubled your son perhaps?

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm still a bit puzzled by all this. Why not just moor with one end of the boat on whatever VM armco was available and let the stern(or the bow) hang off the end? I do this constantly, in fact finding 6ft of armco available to get my bow onto seems like pure luxury sometimes. Would doing this have troubled your son perhaps?

I don't think that would have bothered him particularly (he never gets off the boat and actually managed to do a full 6 week summer holiday on board once!). If I put a pic of the mooring up, you'd see why it was a problem - but the moored boat is then identifiable. Does the aerial view help? There was slightly more space to the right of the picture than the left, but the bank curves in and I remember more bushes there than in the pic. Plus yon bloke was fishing there... 

lock.jpg

Edited by Circe

19 minutes ago, Circe said:

I don't think that would have bothered him particularly (he never actually gets off the boat and actually managed to do a full 6 week summer holiday on board once!). If I put a pic of the mooring up, you'd see why it was a problem - but the moored boat is then identifiable. Does the aerial view help? There was slightly more space to the right of the picture than the left, but the bank curves in and I remember more bushes there than in the pic. Plus yon bloke was fishing there... 

lock.jpg

image.png.50e8468ce26dc1def0e59c29b1d61516.png

image.png.09cc8eafa51c082270850368ad036452.png

I don't know if this helps, but the top picture shows what is would look like with a 60' boat in the centre of the mooring and the bottom picture shows the full length ot mooring to be 44.18metres (should have been easily enough space for two 60' (18 metre) boats with neither have to overhang anything).

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

It's  not just NBs that won't move  In the river Lark at Prickwillow is a mooring which starts at the foot of a bridge on a 90deg bend and is long enough for 3 x 60 footers. 

We rocked up to find 25ft GRPs occupying the whole mooring while fishing despite the No Fishing signs.

I began my approach and could see one boater eyeballing me as I came In, I had to tell "Rods In which causes him to face up to the fact I WAS going to moor up. 

I had to leave my stern buried in the reeds and walk along the gunwale with my centre line 

The very unhappy angler asked why I couldn't "spin round and stick all of my boat in the reeds 

He claimed he never saw me and didn't understand that even if I wanted to "spin round " the river was too narrow for a 60ft boat to turn  .

He couldn't grasp the fact that 2 little boats were hogging a BIG mooring  

So there are knobs wherever you go 

Phil 

9 hours ago, Jess-- said:

it also looks to be a lock landing rather than a mooring space

You’ve not done the Avon?

The lock landing is on the opposite bank. That is a designated mooring spot (with signs indicating this). Many of the Avon locks work like this, but not all.

2 hours ago, Circe said:

You’ve not done the Avon?

The lock landing is on the opposite bank. That is a designated mooring spot (with signs indicating this). Many of the Avon locks work like this, but not all.

Not done the Avon yet, so I was just going by how it appears from the above pictures and how I am used to canal / thames locks working.

39 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

Not done the Avon yet, so I was just going by how it appears from the above pictures and how I am used to canal / thames locks working.

I would definitely recommend it if you ever get the chance. Lovely river - one of our favourites :)

18 hours ago, Circe said:

C&RT have informed Anglers that they must 'share the space' but do point out that the use of the bank is 'first come first served'

Fishing at visitor moorings

At some visitor mooring sites, you will find signage that restricts angling activity. Naturally, the wording of official signage should be adhered to, not least because it could be a byelaw offence to ignore the instructions on Trust signage. In the absence of signage, the use of the towpath is on a first-come-first -served basis. Angling club agreements state ‘Licensees or permitted users should not actively obstruct or impede the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

Are you aware of C&RTs instruction to boaters to leave 5 metres between moored boat to allow for anglers (after all - anglers do pay for a licence)

At the moment this applies to Winter Moorings but they are reviewing if it should apply to all moorings :

Winter moorings

The needs of angling customers are incorporated into the terms and conditions of the issue of these permits. A five-metre gap must be kept between one boat and the next for the purposes of permitting angling from the towpath. We are exploring whether this ought to apply more generally between moored boats. Do take special care when fishing within close proximity of boats. It would not be acceptable to lean your equipment up against the boat hull, for example.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 13/09/2018 at 23:27, TheBiscuits said:

Oi!  That's in Accrington not Burnley.  We don't mind sly digs in Lancashire, but at least get the towns right :D

Both wrong, it's in Baxenden. My Dad always said, when driving through, "You never see any dogs on the street in Baxenden". We always looked and never saw one. I still look, reiterate the saying to grandspawn. Still not seen a dog in Baxenden. Holland's Pies are supposedly tasty though. 

Edited by Jim Riley