It’s Been a while - have things changed THAT much?

Circe

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

Don't understand all the fuss about setting up satellite dishes, we used to spend a minute aligning and once locked on any backward and forward movement or rocking didn't make any difference. I suspect grumpy types just balance their dishes with a combination of string and iffy g clamps and the like. 

No they just can't be assed to move, especially for a hire boat

42 minutes ago, Circe said:

Someone's found him on Facebook for us...  

I do FB, what group?

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No they just can't be assed to move, especially for a hire boat

I do FB, what group?

It’s his personal account rather than a group. I’ve sent him a very polite direct message! We’re past last night now and if it even helps him to reflect a little about the impact he could have on others in the future then I’m good with that.

13 minutes ago, Circe said:

It’s his personal account rather than a group. I’ve sent him a very polite direct message! We’re past last night now and if it even helps him to reflect a little about the impact he could have on others in the future then I’m good with that.

I very much doubt it will. 

22 minutes ago, Circe said:

If you came through Bancroft basin this morning we may well have watched you come through the lock as we saw a Kate Boat could be through. We are moored above Wilmcote and used the train to come in to Stratford.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If you came through Bancroft basin this morning we may well have watched you come through the lock as we saw a Kate Boat could be through. We are moored above Wilmcote and used the train to come in to Stratford.

We did! Almost certainly was us (although unusually not me at the helm!) We’re moored at Valley Cruisers now - going to have a potter around town once we’ve got our car back... and a stiff drink or three.

11 hours ago, Circe said:

Left before you were round and about this morning so couldn’t say hello! We did wave though.

Enjoy the onward journey :)

Sorry to have missed you, we're in no rush so had a bit of a lie in this morning.

Hope it all works out for you getting home.

Steve

On 30/08/2018 at 19:52, Circe said:

Hoping there might be a couple of old timers on here who might just remember me. We had a very loved narrowboat, which we sold a couple of years back when my hubby became ill and then changed jobs.

We’re finally back on the water (in a hire boat) and smiling so hard you can probably see it from where you are! Or we were.

Our middle boy is severely autistic so we generally look for quiet moorings and he likes following what we’re doing on the map, flapping and bouncing all the way. We’re on the Avon today, heading towards Stratford, so it made sense to avoid Bidford and use the moorings above the lock at Bidford Grange (also known as Pilgrim Lock) - from past experience, those are generally not used much at all.

Today, there was a single 60ft boat right in the middle of the mooring. We went to chat to the chap who point blank refused to move either up or down the mooring as he’d “just tuned his satellite dish and didn’t want to move (in a straight line) to let us moor up.

Meanwhile, our son is becoming hysterical because he doesn’t understand what’s going on (he can see there is space but hasn’t quite got the hang of how long the boat is!) Bloke on mooring is still refusing either to let us moor alongside or shift his boat.

Have the waterways really changed that much? We always loved the cameraderie, acceptance and genuine kindness we found when we were afloat.

Sorry for the rant. I so feel like naming and shaming. Grrrrrr!

As I hope is becoming clear, most people on the cut are really very pleasant and you have been unfortunate in tangling with a total dick who, one can only hope, will get his 'Karma' sometime soon. We have just travelled along the section of river you are on and the co-operation between boaters has been brilliant. At Craycombe Turn the 24 hour mooring is 150 feet long and on that, at one time, we managed to fit 4 x 60 foot narrow boats and 3 cruisers!! (that's about 320 feet total length) granted the cruisers were all in a group but we shuffled ourselves around to fit everyone in. I don't know how far you are going, we are currently patiently waiting in Stratford basin for CRT to fix the locks on the Wilmcote flight so will be here until at least Tuesday (fingers crossed):unsure:

13 hours ago, sharpness said:

Sorry to have missed you, we're in no rush so had a bit of a lie in this morning.

Hope it all works out for you getting home.

Steve

Don't blame you at all! Given half a chance we'd have been doing the same!

We're already planning more boat time, so we'll make sure we say hello properly next time we see you :)

Edited by Circe

11 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

As I hope is becoming clear, most people on the cut are really very pleasant and you have been unfortunate in tangling with a total dick who, one can only hope, will get his 'Karma' sometime soon. We have just travelled along the section of river you are on and the co-operation between boaters has been brilliant. At Craycombe Turn the 24 hour mooring is 150 feet long and on that, at one time, we managed to fit 4 x 60 foot narrow boats and 3 cruisers!! (that's about 320 feet total length) granted the cruisers were all in a group but we shuffled ourselves around to fit everyone in. I don't know how far you are going, we are currently patiently waiting in Stratford basin for CRT to fix the locks on the Wilmcote flight so will be here until at least Tuesday (fingers crossed):unsure:

Must have passed you too yesterday on our way up to Valley Cruisers to drop the boat off! Hope the flight opens again soon, but Bancroft Basin is a lovely place to be stranded at least.

Good to hear boating as we know it happens in other places - there's no other way of doing it really. Plus you meet great people along the way. What's not to love?

Before we know it we're going to be looking for another boat :)

I guess the apparent change in attitudes from way back is due to the "law of sod" the greater the # of what evers involved the more likelihood the more "plonkers" will be present also the attitude in general is leaning more to intolerance /lack of consideration

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2018 at 13:09, X Alan W said:

I guess the apparent change in attitudes from way back is due to the "law of sod" the greater the # of what evers involved the more likelihood the more "plonkers" will be present also the attitude in general is leaning more to intolerance /lack of consideration

There's a lot more occasional boaters about than there were back in the year dot, staying mostly in their marinas and using the boat as a kind of holiday cottage, and there's nothing wrong with that.  They just never really, on their rare forays out, pick up on the usual friendliness and co-operation - they're the ones who stand by their boats at locks and never walk up to help boats through (or just chat with those who don't want helping). It's mostly ignorance, occasionally combined with arrogance, especially if they've spent a lot of dosh on their tub.

But they're a very, very small minority - it's still a giant community, really, with a sort of spread out village mentality. With, as is traditional, the odd village idiot. I know I'll miss it when I have to pack it all in.

59 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There's a lot more occasional boaters about than there were back in the year dot, staying mostly in their marinas and using the boat as a kind of holiday cottage, and there's nothing wrong with that.  They just never really, on their rare forays out, pick up on the usual friendliness and co-operation - they're the ones who stand by their boats at locks and never walk up to help boats through (or just chat with those who don't want helping). It's mostly ignorance, occasionally combined with arrogance, especially if they've spent a lot of dosh on their tub.

But they're a very, very small minority - it's still a giant community, really, with a sort of spread out village mentality. With, as is traditional, the odd village idiot. I know I'll miss it when I have to pack it all in.

I would have to agree that the idiots are in a very small minority. Perhaps I've been lucky but I haven't managed to meet any of them this year in the last 1000 miles (tempting fate perhaps:rolleyes:). I don't force myself on anyone and if they want to be left alone that is fine by me, but generally I have found most people to be a lot more sociable than you would necessarily find on a shore-bound lifestyle, because we all have at least one thing in common, an interest in boats and boating. I'm not even sure that the criticism of those who have spent a lot on their boats is entirely valid, the most number who have 'blanked' me over the years have have been the 'alternatives' who possibly started out as a new age traveller in a converted bus and have now moved onto the waterways. If someone is working on their boat, either painting,cleaning or polishing as I go past I will always put out a greeting, it is only the latter who have totally ignored me. I'm not bothered, just reporting my experiences.

In general I agree with you, it is a giant community but when you meet old friends, it has a village mentality.