It’s Been a while - have things changed THAT much?

Circe

Featured Posts

Hoping there might be a couple of old timers on here who might just remember me. We had a very loved narrowboat, which we sold a couple of years back when my hubby became ill and then changed jobs.

We’re finally back on the water (in a hire boat) and smiling so hard you can probably see it from where you are! Or we were.

Our middle boy is severely autistic so we generally look for quiet moorings and he likes following what we’re doing on the map, flapping and bouncing all the way. We’re on the Avon today, heading towards Stratford, so it made sense to avoid Bidford and use the moorings above the lock at Bidford Grange (also known as Pilgrim Lock) - from past experience, those are generally not used much at all.

Today, there was a single 60ft boat right in the middle of the mooring. We went to chat to the chap who point blank refused to move either up or down the mooring as he’d “just tuned his satellite dish and didn’t want to move (in a straight line) to let us moor up.

Meanwhile, our son is becoming hysterical because he doesn’t understand what’s going on (he can see there is space but hasn’t quite got the hang of how long the boat is!) Bloke on mooring is still refusing either to let us moor alongside or shift his boat.

Have the waterways really changed that much? We always loved the cameraderie, acceptance and genuine kindness we found when we were afloat.

Sorry for the rant. I so feel like naming and shaming. Grrrrrr!

3 minutes ago, Circe said:

Hoping there might be a couple of old timers on here who might just remember me. We had a very loved narrowboat, which we sold a couple of years back when my hubby became ill and then changed jobs.

We’re finally back on the water (in a hire boat) and smiling so hard you can probably see it from where you are! Or we were.

Our middle boy is severely autistic so we generally look for quiet moorings and he likes following what we’re doing on the map, flapping and bouncing all the way. We’re on the Avon today, heading towards Stratford, so it made sense to avoid Bidford and use the moorings above the lock at Bidford Grange (also known as Pilgrim Lock) - from past experience, those are generally not used much at all.

Today, there was a single 60ft boat right in the middle of the mooring. We went to chat to the chap who point blank refused to move either up or down the mooring as he’d “just tuned his satellite dish and didn’t want to move (in a straight line) to let us moor up.

Meanwhile, our son is becoming hysterical because he doesn’t understand what’s going on (he can see there is space but hasn’t quite got the hang of how long the boat is!) Bloke on mooring is still refusing either to let us moor alongside or shift his boat.

Have the waterways really changed that much? We always loved the cameraderie, acceptance and genuine kindness we found when we were afloat.

Keep poking the rotters sat dish out of alignment with a stick and run away. Like Knock down Ginger.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Circe said:

The blokes an idiot, there are certainly more about year on year but in the bigger picture thankfully it's still only a minority that act like that at moorings. I owned a boat called Circe once.

• Greenie 1

Had similar at Brownsover last year. We were trying to get a 45ft boat into a 44ft gap. The boat in front had at least 10ft behind it. Even lifting the fenders our boat wouldn't fit. I asked the man (refuse to call him a gentleman) quite politely if he could move his boat a foot backwards. Got the reply, "No I've just set my satellite dish up." Me "I suppose that's important then." Him "Yes" and he scuttled into his boat and refused to come out.

Unfortunately what I call "motorway manners" are creeping onto the cut. 

• Greenie 1

There are sadly a number of boaters, almost always male, who become very anti-social if they can not sort out TV reception. One even asked us to move because we were in the best TV reception spot, I think I made an excuse as I was quite pleased to be in the best TV spot without owning a TV. I dream that maybe he got a book out and read it, or went to the pub and indulged in conversation, or otherwise had a life enhancing experience, but I suspect he just stayed in and watched a poor quality picture ?

................Dave

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

Had similar at Brownsover last year. We were trying to get a 45ft boat into a 44ft gap. The boat in front had at least 10ft behind it. Even lifting the fenders our boat wouldn't fit. I asked the man (refuse to call him a gentleman) quite politely if he could move his boat a foot backwards. Got the reply, "No I've just set my satellite dish up." Me "I suppose that's important then." Him "Yes" and he scuttled into his boat and refused to come out.

Unfortunately what I call "motorway manners" are creeping onto the cut. 

Why don't these dicks just use a tv aerial? Tv aerials are far less fussy about direction, my ten quid aerial works in 99 percent of locations and anyway it's only poxy tv just get a life innitt.

• Greenie 2

The boat has gone now but in a marina not a 1000 miles away. Man and partner arrived at different times.

Man: Hello dear, I've forgotten the television.

Woman: god what do you mean you've forgotten the television.

Man: What I said I've forgotten the TV.

Woman: How am I going to survive two weeks without a TV?

At this juncture I was splitting my sides and decided it was better to go below and leave them to their domestic.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Keep poking the rotters sat dish out of alignment with a stick and run away. Like Knock down Ginger.

Love that! I was tempted to use part of the moorings, rope the rest of the boat up in some undergrowth and then light a barbecue by his drying washing.

Hubby is far more grown up than me though ?

Yes we were (and are) up north. Always a narrow beam though!

1 minute ago, Meanderingviking said:

Crikey Eastenders must be good these days ................... really though! ?

Never mind about that tame TV rubbish, Transvestite policemen, Lama theft, and class A drug dealing are rife in the Archers.

...............Dave

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Never mind about that tame TV rubbish, Transvestite policemen, Lama theft, and class A drug dealing are rife in the Archers.

...............Dave

Not Linda's Lamas and didn't Young Grundy get heavily into drugs some years back

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

...............Dave

I know where will it all end and don't I trust daddy Fairbrother as far as Elizabeth could throw him ......

How are you bud are we going to see you on the GU? 

We must be lucky as twice recently we have asked others if they could move up so we can fit in a space and both times they have happily obliged. At Fradley one chap about three boats along came out and offered to move all the boats up for us.

If somebody used their satellite dish as an excuse I'm afraid I would have to give it a shove as I went past.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Tucking on the end at Gt Haywood and the chap ahead popped out to see if he needed to move back a foot.

See, that’s how we remember it. Please tell me things haven’t changed! We always shuffled up or let people moor abreast. Have some gorgeous friends still from our boating days and have been thinking about getting another boat...

• Greenie 1

Hello Circe, yes I remember you we once met at Thorne ISTR.

Can't comment on manners on the cut but there does seem to be a lessening of common courtesy in all aspects of life so it wouldn't surprise me.

We had something stolen from our caravan awning last week while in France and what was annoying was that it must have been another caravanner that nicked it. And a Brit too. Never had that in 30 years of caravanning.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Hello Circe, yes I remember you we once met at Thorne ISTR.

Can't comment on manners on the cut but there does seem to be a lessening of common courtesy in all aspects of life so it wouldn't surprise me.

We had something stolen from our caravan awning last week while in France and what was annoying was that it must have been another caravanner that nicked it. And a Brit too. Never had that in 30 years of caravanning.

Hello you! Lovely to ‘see’ you. How are you both doing? Last time we spoke you were planning on Europe on land. Hope all is going well x

Just now, Circe said:

Hello you! Lovely to ‘see’ you. How are you both doing? Last time we spoke you were planning on Europe on land. Hope all is going well x

We are regularly in Europe but not permanently due to grandparent responsibilities so we content ourselves with regular jaunts across the Channel, off to Spain with the 'van next year as we haven't yet done that far.

Sounds really good. We’re getting out and about now a bit more but missing the cut like mad. We’re not quite at the boat hunting stage but once our middle son moves into adult residential, I think we might take the plunge again. Although doing Europe does sound incredibly appealing. Any regrets about giving up the water?

1 hour ago, Circe said:

We’re on the Avon today, heading towards Stratford, so it made sense to avoid Bidford and use the moorings above the lock at Bidford Grange (also known as Pilgrim Lock) - from past experience, those are generally not used much at all.

We were at Pilgrim lock last week, blowing gale it was. We're heading south now & moored at Welford lock, 2 up from you. Shame its dark, there's room here for you and very peaceful. You do know about the Wilmcote locks on the south Stratford being closed till 5th Sept?

Give us a wave if you go by tomorrow. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Circe said:

Sounds really good. We’re getting out and about now a bit more but missing the cut like mad. We’re not quite at the boat hunting stage but once our middle son moves into adult residential, I think we might take the plunge again. Although doing Europe does sound incredibly appealing. Any regrets about giving up the water?

I miss boating but definitely do not miss owning a boat and the expense of running owning and fixing one. We often still seek out waterways both in Europe and the UK when we are away in the "van and enjoy walking the tow path sometimes offering to help boaters with locks and stuff if the opportunity presents.

1 hour ago, Circe said:

Hey, I've been around here for a while and I remember you.  My forum id was "pistonbroke" back then, tho.  You didn't have that avatar as I remember? What is that, a pint with a lot of froth?

Anyway, good to see you back and don't let one moaner put you off, push a pin through his coax, lol, take a week to find it....

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sharpness said:

We were at Pilgrim lock last week, blowing gale it was. We're heading south now & moored at Welford lock, 2 up from you. Shame its dark, there's room here for you and very peaceful. You do know about the Wilmcote locks on the south Stratford being closed till 5th Sept?

Give us a wave if you go by tomorrow. 

We’re at Welford lock now - are you the boat at the end furthest from the lock? If so, we’re by the lock and relieved to be moored up.

Will definitely wave when we see you tomorrow. We’re in one of the Kate Boats fleet.

We knew about the Wilmcote flight (thanks for the heads-up though) - we’ve only got to get as far as Valley Cruisers in Stratford and The lovely people at Kate Boats will rescue us from there.