Stepping up from 12v to 19v

Featured Posts

Thinking of installing a couple of these to step up the 12v voltage for 2 laptops (mainly). Laptops are 18v which means the inverter has to be on, so if the 12v can step up, it'll save the batteries.

DC 12V to 19V 5A 95W Auto Supply Converter Power Inverter Step up Regulator

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EV59JZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3JOIFMN3ONQR9&psc=1

Main problem is: My 5 year old laptop's battery is almost shot, but I don't want another one, nor do I want to go to the expense (and trauma) of replacing the battery (so it has to run from the mains) - if I can get another couple of years out of it, then I'll be able to get a more advanced laptop. (I know my cock-eyed thinking wont gell with other's POV ?). 

Question is: Is this thinking sound? Do you have any advice? 

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Jennifer McM

Personally I would go for a laptop car charger that has adjustable output voltages and  selection of tips for plugging into the lap top. That way it should still power the new one as long as you don't get one that is known for not accepting third party chargers.

Crossed with Robbo while looking for an example.

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Thanks Robbo 

We don't have a cigar lighter plug where I use the laptop. John (my OH) has installed a 'normal' 12v plug socket, dedicated for the 19v plug. We're still waiting for the electrical bit above to arrive.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Personally I would go for a laptop car charger that has adjustable output voltages and  selection of tips for plugging into the lap top. That way it should still power the new one as long as you don't get one that is known for not accepting third party chargers.

Crossed with Robbo while looking for an example.

Ha ha.... crossed when answering Robbo.... 

Thank you both 

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thanks Robbo 

We don't have a cigar lighter plug where I use the laptop. John (my OH) has installed a 'normal' 12v plug socket, dedicated for the 19v plug. We're still waiting for the electrical bit above to arrive.

As the 12v socket standard tends to be the "cigar type" it would have been better to have installed that instead.   Lot more options then from USB adaptors and the like.

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

As the 12v socket standard tends to be the "cigar type" it would have been better to have installed that instead.   Lot more options then from USB adaptors and the like.

Thanks again Robbo, will have a rethink, the link you provided looks safer re 'universal' power.  

Again, thanks Robbo and Tony.

Our 12v plugs are as below, except one at the stern which is a cigar lighter type.  

We're thinking of getting this universal kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071SDW4QG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A9MPLHP3DSMPY&psc=1

and replacing the cigar lighter plug, with the one in the picture. Hoping we're on the right track now?

plug.jpg.57244d811a0a7a35b62f4daf41313875.jpg

If you don't want to cut the end off that you could have that plug and use a 12v socket to be a bit more adaptable on where you can use the charger (ie. in the car).

Like replace the plug on this cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Standard-Lighter-Socket-Adaptor-Motorcycle/dp/B0042EYTEI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535634124&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+din+socket

Edited by Robbo

Check your laptop will take a charge from universal chargers. Some (e.g. Dell) have a very small central pin inside the apparently normal socket that is used to detect if you are using a Dell charger.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, dor said:

Check your laptop will take a charge from universal chargers. Some (e.g. Dell) have a very small central pin inside the apparently normal socket that is used to detect if you are using a Dell charger.

I believe that might be exclusive to Dell. I’ve not heard of any other make that does the same thing. Certainly not Acer, HP, Sony or Samsung. 

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I believe that might be exclusive to Dell. I’ve not heard of any other make that does the same thing. Certainly not Acer, HP, Sony or Samsung. 

My HP laptop has the small central pin. 

_20180830_161350.JPG

Edited by stegra
Add pic
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

With dells they will run from a non-dell power supply but they will not charge the battery

I seem to remember they had a few problems where power supplies from older machines (which needed less power) were being used on more powerful machines and failing in the late 90s, so dell laptops that are newer than that have the extra pin and can read how much power the supply is rated to deliver and adjust their demands to suit.

of course it is purely accidental that it means that you have to buy a genuine dell charger to get full functionality

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, stegra said:

Yes, I've a HP Pavilion with exactly that plug. 

The kit I've now ordered says it works with HP. I did see on one of the units we were looking at that a Del cable was included.

33 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Probably wise to make sure it works before cutting the end of for the new plug...

Good point!

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Watch that 3 pin socket. Often when use for 12V they use the neutral and earth pins so please check.

John installed the socket, there's no earth wiring. Is that what you mean Tony?

47 minutes ago, dor said:

Indeed.  I had to send back the last 'universal' charger I bought because none of the tips fitted my Asus netbook (which I no longer use).  I don't see why you are all rubbishing the OP's idea, especially as it's half the price of the universal charger linked.

7 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Indeed.  I had to send back the last 'universal' charger I bought because none of the tips fitted my Asus netbook (which I no longer use).  I don't see why you are all rubbishing the OP's idea, especially as it's half the price of the universal charger linked.

for a start the OP states the laptops run on 18v so a 19v supply probably isn't a good idea

secondly they say that at least one laptop is due to be replaced (so we can't be sure what voltage will be needed for the new machine)

these two things combined make it more sensible to get a supply that has multiple output options (both in voltage and plug type)

I have laptops and other machines around here that need anything from 15v up to 23v (on the boat I have a supply that will output from 14v up to 24v in 2v steps)

Edited by Jess--
  • Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

John installed the socket, there's no earth wiring. Is that what you mean Tony?

No, these 3 amp sockets and plugs are designed for mains ac power use, not dc.

Tony meant that you use the earth pin as the negative and one (usually the right side one) as the positive, so that if some numpty plugs in some mains equipment to the now dc socket, it won't fry it (or vice versa by plugging in your adapter to a 3 amp mains socket).

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

HP does do this, at least on some of its laptops, I have one!

..................Dave

53 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

for a start the OP states the laptops run on 18v so a 19v supply probably isn't a good idea

secondly they say that at least one laptop is due to be replaced (so we can't be sure what voltage will be needed for the new machine)

these two things combined make it more sensible to get a supply that has multiple output options (both in voltage and plug type)

I have laptops and other machines around here that need anything from 15v up to 23v (on the boat I have a supply that will output from 14v up to 24v in 2v steps)

I am not sure that a volt makes much difference in most cases. Something to watch is the input voltage range as boats can run out 14.4, or 14.8, or even more in winter with temperature compensation, and some 12 volt device are not speced to go that high.

..................Dave

30 minutes ago, cuthound said:

No, these 3 amp sockets and plugs are designed for mains ac power use, not dc.

Tony meant that you use the earth pin as the negative and one (usually the right side one) as the positive, so that if some numpty plugs in some mains equipment to the now dc socket, it won't fry it (or vice versa by plugging in your adapter to a 3 amp mains socket).

Right! Clear now ? Thank you!

57 minutes ago, dmr said:

HP does do this, at least on some of its laptops, I have one!

Every HP laptop I’ve seen (I have three at present) all have a standard coaxial power socket. Are you saying yours uses a 3 pin plug?

2 hours ago, stegra said:

_20180830_161350.JPG

Yes, that’s positive and the ring is negative (or the other way around). What we’re referring to with regard to Dell is effectively a 3 pin plug.