Featured Posts

May I introduce a brand new website called Inland Moorings to you all.

The site has just started up in Aug this year and the idea of the site is to collect, categorise, and provide as much information on the UK canal & river moorings as possible.

A big big task I hear you say, well that's where I hope you come in, I'm asking if I can tap into your vast knowledge and experience to upload on the site your favourite (and not so favourite) mooring sites, for this to work we need input, I will be touring the network but that will take some time and places may be missed, so your knowledge is what the site needs.

There are categories, from general moorings, pub side moorings, to rural mooring sites, the good spots to go and the bad no-go areas not to moor categories.

If we can invest just a little time every now and then, then the site will soon grow and become a useful asset to all users of the waterways.

If you would like to pop over and see whats what the link is https://inlandmoorings.com there are NO fees involved totally free to use even for commercial enterprises (there is a roving trader section)

Feedback would also be great I will be here if you have any questions
My name is Martin editor of Inland Moorings
thanks for your time......

FB-jpeg.jpg.f9ef76a66ac286b8d8aa9780f7bd30b5.jpg

Thx for your reply

Permanent moorings can be advertised under moorings for rent, but I have put the private option in the general moorings now and made it searchable if you wish to promote a privately owned business mooring you can now, and hope you do.

There was already a subcategory for visitors moorings.

Thank you for your feedback much appreciated

Martin

27 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Your site doesn't seem to clearly distinguish between permanent moorings and visitor moorings.

It doesn't appear to cater for permanent moorings as the search criteria are either 48 hour or 14 days only.

Search options should be widened to include all options from 1 hour (typically outside supermarkets) upwards.

Hi Alan

All these will be and are available as the option is selected in the listing, other words it will show up in the search criteria when a listing has the option selected same as all the waterways are shown as they are used.

Thx

Martin

Edited by InlandMoorings
addon

I think you need an opening choice - Permanent mooring or visitor mooring.  Then the rest of the site will make sense.

Having said that, my favourite visitor moorings are a secret.  I don't want everyone blocking them all up!

And why is Nuneaton a bad spot?  If it gets labelled as such, then more boaters will stay away and the prophecy will fulfill itself.

• Greenie 1

Nice idea, overall a sleek website design at least on a desktop browser. That said the logo isn't quite on a par with the rest of the site and lets it down a tad.

I see it's running on Apache server software. You can potentially improve page load times significantly if you use Apache + nginx reverse proxy in hybrid. -- This is something we recently did and the results speak for themselves.

Useful page performance tester at a glance: 
https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/cVX64o/https://inlandmoorings.com/

7.2MB page size is somewhat on the high side especially given many of your prospective users will be using mobile 3G/4G connections. Image compression should help drop this down somewhat.

With the # of boats on the cut & the practice of some to hog/overstay I would question if folk would gladly give info to a nationwide web disclosing their favorite moorings Maybe I'm being a bit selfish& cynical but a guy created a similar web for camping cars in Europe & the nice quiet spots became overrun some of the villages got fed up & the sites were closed /lost realize this is not going happen re closure ? but perhaps folk will steer clear Good luck with your project

8 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

With the # of boats on the cut & the practice of some to hog/overstay I would question if folk would gladly give info to a nationwide web disclosing their favorite moorings Maybe I'm being a bit selfish& cynical but a guy created a similar web for camping cars in Europe & the nice quiet spots became overrun some of the villages got fed up & the sites were closed /lost realize this is not going happen re closure ? but perhaps folk will steer clear Good luck with your project

If you were selfish and cynical you would recommend sites that you didn't like :D 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If you were selfish and cynical you would recommend sites that you didn't like :D 

If I were cynical, I would wonder whats in it for the site owner?  A feeling of wellbeing, or an intent to monetise the site?  I don't really have a problem with earning money from if, if they are upfront about that, but asking boaters to contribute, like a wiki seems a bit unfair...

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If I were cynical, I would wonder whats in it for the site owner?  A feeling of wellbeing, or an intent to monetise the site?  I don't really have a problem with earning money from if, if they are upfront about that, but asking boaters to contribute, like a wiki seems a bit unfair...

Canalplan has a user contribution as well and you could ask the same questions.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I think this site could be good for permanent moorings and official visitor moorings with info about what the moorings are actually like and what's nearby.  But good remote moorings should be harder to find and could be ruined by a site like this.

Agree i think that sounds a good idea.    We all have our favourite "out in the sticks" moorings that we dont necessarry wont the whole world knowing about, however being split into Perminate moorings, Live Aboard Moorings and also offcial Visitor Moorings would go down well and people would be more than happy to contribute.       Another suggesiton would be to add where good to stop for the shops etc, as on last summer crusie we did find some by accident however would have ben nice to know in advance to "moor by Br 239 for easy access to the Tesco Express (otehr shops are available)" as an example.

1 hour ago, RichM said:

Nice idea, overall a sleek website design at least on a desktop browser. That said the logo isn't quite on a par with the rest of the site and lets it down a tad.

I see it's running on Apache server software. You can potentially improve page load times significantly if you use Apache + nginx reverse proxy in hybrid. -- This is something we recently did and the results speak for themselves.

7.2MB page size is somewhat on the high side especially given many of your prospective users will be using mobile 3G/4G connections. Image compression should help drop this down somewhat.

This ^^^^^, to me the design is too sleek especially when you scroll down on the home page.   Plus 7.2Mb is really high for any site.

3 hours ago, DHARL2 said:

Agree i think that sounds a good idea.    We all have our favourite "out in the sticks" moorings that we dont necessarry wont the whole world knowing about, however being split into Perminate moorings, Live Aboard Moorings and also offcial Visitor Moorings would go down well and people would be more than happy to contribute.       Another suggesiton would be to add where good to stop for the shops etc, as on last summer crusie we did find some by accident however would have ben nice to know in advance to "moor by Br 239 for easy access to the Tesco Express (otehr shops are available)" as an example.

But our favourite out in the sticks moorings are already known about by everyone else. We only have a couple of thousand miles of waterways and for instance the Oxford is, the Oxford etc etc so people can see the good quiet bits to stopover wether noted on a website or not. As for shops mr Google gives you their locations in seconds these days and I use this forum when somewhere I haven't been for ages and the forumites come straight back with shops etc.

Edited by mrsmelly

7 hours ago, Robbo said:

This ^^^^^, to me the design is too sleek especially when you scroll down on the home page.   Plus 7.2Mb is really high for any site.

Just tested my site www.bobbaker.tv

https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/cVX64o/https://bobbaker.tv/

Edited by Laurie.Booth

On 30/08/2018 at 13:53, RichM said:

Pingdom doesn't properly understand http/2 so its tuning advice is misleading as it tells you to do things that are no longer relevant.

On 30/08/2018 at 15:38, Robbo said:

Canalplan has a user contribution as well and you could ask the same questions.

In Canalplan the idea of rating moorings is to allow the route planning to make better suggestions for overnight stops.

As to why we keep Canalplan running and are working on it for no real financial gain... well... because we can

Edited by StephenA

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

BTW - if you're using Google Maps and you become popular expect a large bill from Google at the end of the month.  Anything over 28000 map loads in a month is going to cost you money - that's what hurt Canalplan.

Is it possible to use open street maps?