Washing machine and gennie

RichardtheGardener

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

Trying to get a washing machine sorted for the boat. Know little to nothing of electrics, so am looking for some advice from those of you in the know. 

Will a KIPOR IG2600 SINEMASTER gennie power a 1.02 Kwh washing machine? 

Cheers, 

54 minutes ago, RichardtheGardener said:

Hi all, 

Trying to get a washing machine sorted for the boat. Know little to nothing of electrics, so am looking for some advice from those of you in the know. 

Cheers, 

Just make sure that is not the AVERAGE power consumption as when the heating element is in use it will (would normally) be much higher.

Quote the make and model and maybe someone will know of it, alternatively look at the data-plate for the heater wattage.

I would very much doubt any auto-washer is 1.02 Kw max.

Consider the maximum CONTINUOUS rating of the generator - not the 'PEAK' rating - it may well be around 2kw (My Kipor 2kw is rated 1.6Kw continuous)

If your proposed washing machine is 2.01 kw (with the heater element running) and your generator 2.0 Kw it will not be a marriage made in heaven.

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

No problem, even a smaller 2kw one would manage it. 

But whether the generator will run it might depend on the sinewave requirement of the particular washing machine.

I run my Zanussi 1300ZWC (1600w) from a Honda EU30i generator but the machine is sometimes hesitant to start and I have to wait half an hour before it accepts the generator. Once it starts it's fine.

1 hour ago, RichardtheGardener said:

Thanks both. Its this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whirlpool-1000TR-Washing-Machine-Standalone/dp/B00IPHOTMK

Someone is selling one locally for £75 ;) 

So its is 1kw PER WASH (so If a wash should take (say) 30 minutes it can be drawing in excess of 2kw when the heater is on).

Not enough information provided.

14 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

I read this somewhere that today with machines using less water only have 600w heaters unlike the olden days of yore when mega wattage was involved.

Phil 

If you really have a washing machine that can pull a megawatt, then you will need a generator like this to power it ?

mtu-1000-1100-1250kva-png.png

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I use to drive two of these

Image result for ruston gas turbine generator set 1mw

Interesting, what is its output? 

I put many of diesel engines standby generators with outputs between 100kVA and 3MVA in over my career.

Also at one point I was responsible for policy for BT's circa 6500 standby generators (plus dc power plant, UPSs, and critical cooling plant).

Edited by cuthound
Clarity

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Interesting, what is its output? 

I put many of diesel engines standby generators with outputs between 100kVA and 3MVA in over my career.

Also at one point I was responsible for policy for BT's circa 6500 standby generators (plus dc power plant, UPSs, and critical cooling plant).

Ruston from Lincolnshire , I think they were a Meg each but its a few years ago now. Would run very happily in parallel, more so than the Caterpillar piston jobbies

On 29/08/2018 at 15:30, RichardtheGardener said:

Hi all, 

Cheers, 

Note the 1.02Kwh is a measure of energy, not a measure of power. Most full size washing machines have a 2kw heater and obviously need additional power to run the drum motor. So you Kipor (2.3kVA max) is probably going to struggle or fail. The other thing to bear in mind is that modern washers are fussy about waveform and some won’t work on anything other than perfect sine wave. Our Zanussi doesn’t start when we are using the Travelpower (which is in effect a sine wave genny.). Fortunately it does start on our Mastervolt sine wave inverter, so I start it on that and then once it’s  filling, switch over to the Travelpower.

Edit: checked the manual for the 6761 and it says it needs a 2300w connection so in theory within the limits of the Kipor, but it will be close and I wouldn’t be surprised if the motor start up load is significantly more than that.

Of course this high power demand is only whilst the water is being heated during the wash cycle. If you can fill the washing machine with already-hot water for the wash, the heater won’t need to cut in and the power consumption will be much much less.

Edited by nicknorman

21 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Note the 1.02Kwh is a measure of energy, not a measure of power. Most full size washing machines have a 2kw heater and obviously need additional power to run the drum motor. So you Kipor (2.3kVA max) is probably going to struggle or fail. The other thing to bear in mind is that modern washers are fussy about waveform and some won’t work on anything other than perfect sine wave. Our Zanussi doesn’t start when we are using the Travelpower (which is in effect a sine wave genny.). Fortunately it does start on our Mastervolt sine wave inverter, so I start it on that and then once it’s  filling, switch over to the Travelpower.

Edit: checked the manual for the 6761 and it says it needs a 2300w connection so in theory within the limits of the Kipor, but it will be close and I wouldn’t be surprised if the motor start up load is significantly more than that.

Of course this high power demand is only whilst the water is being heated during the wash cycle. If you can fill the washing machine with already-hot water for the wash, the heater won’t need to cut in and the power consumption will be much much less.

Thanks for this. 

We've now purchased the gennie and the washing machine. Will plumb in next week and test :)

My washing machine uses 2000w at max when the heater is on.  My old genny was 2200w peak, 2000w continuous.  Running the washing machine killed the genny ?

I bought a Kipor the same as yours.  It's 2600w peak and 2300w continuous.  It works fine.

I've found it's best not to max out a genny.  Have a bit in reserve.  Also bear in mind that if you are maxing it out with a washing machine, don't have anything else on.  Don't be charging batteries or watch tv.  It will tip it over the edge.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sirweste said:

I have a EU20i genny, it cannot run me washer on a heat cycle. 

Simple fix is to set the washer to cold and pour a kettle of hot water in during the beginning of the wash cycle.

Simples

That is what we do with ours, saves hours of generator/engine/battery charging time. One point though; from other reading,  It appears that some of the newer machines chuck their teddy into the corner if you do this. 

Edited by Guest

53 minutes ago, catweasel said:

It appears that some of the newer machines chuck their teddy into the corner if you do this. 

If mine did, I would just do cold washes rather than nailing the domestic bank, bit of warm water in the wash ain't worth the faff getting charge back in the batteries

1 hour ago, sirweste said:

If mine did, I would just do cold washes rather than nailing the domestic bank, bit of warm water in the wash ain't worth the faff getting charge back in the batteries

Me too.