Caught in a queue of baby hire-boaters for the staircase at Stourport.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

Still green, newly hatched, inexperienced.

Came through Droitwich again at the weekend. Looks like you're on your hols.

MP.

It can take a while to get through there at any time. Doesn't take many boats to cause a jam.

Vulpes left home last Friday and may not be back until Xmas. It's currently in a safe haven as I am on my hols but in a strange foreign land rather than on the boat.

JP

"baby hire boaters" The OP's, and his ilk,  extremely childish and idiotic way to refer to people new on the cut. Like as if they never ever made mistakes and wasn't new themselves once. 

• Greenie 4

12 minutes ago, reg said:

It's that time of year to meet and chat to many new faces whilst waiting at locks. 

Even that is becoming a novelty.  It seems to becoming the norm that boaters remain in splendid isolation with their boats in the queue until you have finished with the lock, then they will walk up to take over as you depart! ?

George

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

"baby hire boaters" The OP's, and his ilk,  extremely childish and idiotic way to refer to people new on the cut. Like as if they never ever made mistakes and wasn't new themselves once. 

I thought it was quite a nice metaphor. Doesn't imply disapproval (who doesn't like babies?) and quite apt. I'm not  saying that newbies should be banned, and I followed them up without complaint, choosing to express my mild frustration here and not to them direct.

I find that the last skill learned is thinking about more than one lock at a time. We've all see boats that go perfectly through a lock, close the exit gate (despite a boat coming the other way) 'cause they were told to, get everyone on board then go round the corner and repeat the whole thing at the next lock. Such tactics make two two-lock staircases, with limited space for passing in-between, very slow.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

Absolutely moomin act your age, I've already bought my crusty cardigan and practiced weeing my self, planning ahead you see it's the sensible thing to do.

I didn't know you had a pet, what is an ilk? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Absolutely moomin act your age, I've already bought my crusty cardigan and practiced weeing my self, planning ahead you see it's the sensible thing to do.

I didn't know you had a pet, what is an ilk? 

Is that in preparation for the big 50?

An ilk is similar to an elk! 

Edited by rusty69

27 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Even that is becoming a novelty.  It seems to becoming the norm that boaters remain in splendid isolation with their boats in the queue until you have finished with the lock, then they will walk up to take over as you depart! ?

George

With all of the posts on here promoting cold shouldering volunteer lock keepers and those who don't apply in writing x triplicate before joining in at a lock ….. is it any wonder?

• Greenie 1