Any opinion on Diesel Heaters please

Bread

Featured Posts

Hi ya

if your not happy with the Chinese copy sell it on the Chinese heaters face book page.

i would like to know if you have a eberspacher

out of two choices

1)heating oil/kerosine 

2) or red diesel??

What will be best for eberspacher webasto heaters

col

I am on my 2nd Eberspacher D5 servicing a 55ft nb. (60 litre calorifer, 1x full size radiator, 1x towel rail and 2x fin rads.) I never run it for less than an hour and always on full power. Despite that they have proven to be very unreliable and needs taking apart at least twice a year. If I were to get another I'd probably get a D4 to work it harder to prevent it coking up as mentioned in this topic. Truth is the Eber is fantastic when it works but the reliability problems are a real inconvenience, not to mention expense! What's the next best solution?

1 hour ago, RichM said:

What's the next best solution?

Do you have space to fit a second one in parallel with the first? Then when one packs up, open and close a couple of valves ands switch over. Then repair the defunct one at your leisure then re-install it ready for when the other one fails. 

Or even fit it in series, and forget the valves!

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do you have space to fit a second one in parallel with the first? Then when one packs up, open and close a couple of valves ands switch over. Then repair the defunct one at your leisure then re-install it ready for when the other one fails. 

Or even fit it in series, and forget the valves!

Edited by cereal tiller

Hi guys,

The heater arrived but I'm tempted not to fit it as I've heard a couple of people say they are prone to catching on fire. Needless to say that's put me on edge so I'm thinking of just forking out for the proper Planar 4kw Model. It's an extra £400 but I guess it's a small price to pay for a piece of mind.

Anyone wanna buy the cheap one ? ha 

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, bigcol said:

I haven’t seen anything that the heaters catch fire?

if you look at their forum on Facebook, I haven’t seen a catching fire problem

Cause all the owners are in burns unit at the infirmary. ?

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

Ha,,,brilliant !!

I've just joined that Chinese facebook group and I'll delve a little further Jambo. I'd rang a couple of heating engineers who refused to install it and injected project fear and advised me to buy a Planar. But if I find that's not the case I'll fit it myself and become nocturnal from fear of sleeping.

3 hours ago, Bread said:

Ha,,,brilliant !!

I've just joined that Chinese facebook group and I'll delve a little further Jambo. I'd rang a couple of heating engineers who refused to install it and injected project fear and advised me to buy a Planar. But if I find that's not the case I'll fit it myself and become nocturnal from fear of sleeping.

Lol. I bought one, but yes decided to not to install it, as didn’t think insurance would be happy with it.

Sold it for more money than I paid for it.

i also got a part refund, due to be advertised as a planer, but obviously wasn’t.

buying through eBay your covered

yes i bought one, quite impressed on what I got in the box, what I got in the box

not a good video but shows you the packaging.

3 hours ago, Bread said:

Ha,,,brilliant !!

Is the Planar Heater actually made in Russia ,or is it Chinese built and Exported to Russia?

4 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Planer is built in Russia not sold on eBay 

chineese are copies built in China, sold on eBay

My Father wanted to buy a Russian Car sometime on the 1970's .His Belief was that the harsh conditions of the Russian Climate would mean that their Cars would be Fundamentally sturdy and reliable.I just managed to stop him buying a Moskvitch!

18 hours ago, bigcol said:

I haven’t seen anything that the heaters catch fire?

if you look at their forum on Facebook, I haven’t seen a catching fire problem

I took mine to pieces to see how well it was designed and made and I saw no particular fire risk in its construction. I’d say if the rumours are true the cause will be electrical rather than them being diesel fires. 

One thing that concerns me is the absence of a ‘magic eye’ for flame supervision. Here the risk is the opposite. If combustion fails or the thing fails to light, it will continue pumping diesel into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust pipe. 

The unit does have a heat sensor on the heat exchanger though which looks like a thermistor. This probably causes the pulse pump to vary in speed to control temperature so if they have been smart it could also be used for crude flame supervision. If the temp does not rise rapidly and/or change in response to changes in the pulse pump rate, the software could surmise combustion has failed and shut the unit down for a restart. 

On 09/09/2018 at 17:03, RichM said:

I am on my 2nd Eberspacher D5 servicing a 55ft nb. (60 litre calorifer, 1x full size radiator, 1x towel rail and 2x fin rads.) I never run it for less than an hour and always on full power. Despite that they have proven to be very unreliable and needs taking apart at least twice a year. If I were to get another I'd probably get a D4 to work it harder to prevent it coking up as mentioned in this topic. Truth is the Eber is fantastic when it works but the reliability problems are a real inconvenience, not to mention expense! What's the next best solution?

I don't understand. You never run it less than an hour. Is that not the reason it is coking up? You only have a few rads so it will be auto switching to low before the hours up. We have 4 rads and I try not to run mine for more than an hour at a time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2018 at 09:45, WotEver said:

Today I can no longer access tis PDF. 

Clicking the link takes me to the facebook log-in page (even though I'm already logged in). On entering my log-in details again it gives me a facebook error page declaring "something went wrong".

Any suggestions, anyone? 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Me neither. I wonder if it has anything to do with the recent data breach?

Ah that's a possibility. Maybe the hackers stole it! I get the same problem with the other links too. 

How did you find the file in the first place? I've goggled the filename which returns no results.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah that's a possibility. Maybe the hackers stole it! I get the same problem with the other links too. 

How did you find the file in the first place? I've goggled the filename which returns no results.

Go to the Facebook group the file was in and see if it’s still there.