Any opinion on Diesel Heaters please

Bread

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm looking at installing the following diesel heater on my narrowboat (link below) and wondered if someone could answer a few questions for me.

Has anyone used one of these and are they reliable? I don't it breaking down mid Winter. For the price it's pretty good. 

Secondly, it's 5000w. Does that mean that it constantly draws 5k from the battery while it's on? If so, I imaging I'd need a pretty big bank. Or does it mean 5K from initial start up?

Secondly it says constant temperature controlled. Does that means I can install a timer on it? And I can't control the temp?

Sorry if this all sounds amateur in terms of questioning, but I'd rather get some advice before spending any money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5000W-LCD-Monitor-Air-diesel-Fuel-Heater-PLANAR-for-trucks-boats-bus-Car-NEW/202160706811?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49130%26meid%3D2a5715a0064546cbb52cdcd77e45f406%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D391955367629&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&autorefresh=true#rwid

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 18.27.25.png

The Planar heaters get some quite good reviews on lumpy water forums. But make sure It is a genuine Planar unit and not a cheap Chinese copy.

The 5kw is the heat output.

The Planar unit is a bit more crude than the other manufacturers similar units. It is louder and uses more power fromthe batteries.

2 minutes ago, Bread said:

For the price it's pretty good. 

For the price its insanely and stupidly cheap. You realise it is a far eastern rip off of the genuine Planar heater which costs £500 don't you? And the real Planar is a Russian copy of the Webasto which costs £1k? How good are you expecting it to be?

Having said all that I bought one last week out of curiosity :giggles: 

I've fully dismantled it and the base unit is really rather well made. The control pad is horribly cheap and nasty as is the installation kit. No skin fittings either, which are going to cost 10% of the price of the whole unit! 

Oh and the manual is an A4 single sheet photocopy of Chinglish prattling. Very sketchy and not much help. Gonna be a LOT of guesswork getting mine up and running!

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Gonna be a LOT of guesswork getting mine up and running!

If you do Faceache then I suggest you join the ‘Chinese Vehicle Heaters’ group for loads of info. According to the members there they’re really quite good. 

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

make sure It is a genuine Planar unit and not a cheap Chinese copy.

Nothing wrong with the cheap Chinese copies as far as I can tell. 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

If you do Faceache then I suggest you join the ‘Chinese Vehicle Heaters’ group for loads of info. According to the members there they’re really quite good. 

I’m a member of that group but I’m currently banned from fb !

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes I hate the place and am secretly quite pleased some arse complained about my profile and got me suspended!

If this link works for you it could be helpful:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Autoterm-Planar-Air-Heater-Installation-Instructions_PF_Jones_PFJ-0035-min.pdf

1 minute ago, Bread said:

Thanks for all the information guys, from what I can gather it's worth a punt then. Currently the Alde boiler that heats the radiators just drinks gas if you leave it on all night. 

I suspect a genuine Planar would be a better solution for you as it won’t be straightforward to fit the timer you mention on the cheapo copy. The wiring is a pre-assembled ‘plug and pray’ arrangement and cutting/modifying it won’t be easy with no meaningful documentation. The FB group might help you but the Planar is fully supported by an interested bod who imports them and will give personal advice. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Thanks, but that bears no relation to rhe design of my cheapo planar copy. Wiring on mine is far simpler and the electronics are obviously simpler and different. 

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks, but that bears no relation to rhe design of my cheapo planar copy. Wiring on mine is far simpler and the electronics are obviously simpler and different. 

Ahh, okay... how about this one?

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Operational Instruction of Air Heaters 2.2kw-4kw(1).pdf

If you're living on your boat in winter, you really need a solid fuel stove.  With the Alde or a diesel heater as back up.  Having said that, the Alde heaters aren't as thirsty as some people think but you need to learn how to best use them.  My Alde has a heat setting on the unit going from 1-7 and a seperate thermostat, further down the boat.  I've found that setting the dial on the unit to 4 or 5 will still keep my boat pretty warm unless it's super cold outside, but the gas use is far, far less.  If i set the dial to 7, it truly guzzles gas.  Also, think about other ways to improve the heating in your boat.  Make sure your doors and windows fit snugly, use those foam strips to seal up draughts.  (Don't cover the actual vents though - you need them).  Also put some of that heat-shrink plastic film over your windows/portholes.  It makes a huge different to how warm and cosy your boat will be and less condensation too.

I'd recommend managing as best you can with the Alde for now and save up for a proper stove.  You won't regret it.  Relying on a cheap diesel heater through winter is asking for a breakdown when it gets really cold.

• Greenie 2

Doratheexolorer...thanks for that advice. A solid fuel stove is the one I agree but I find it really gets to my asthma so trying something different. 

Will make sure all doors and draughts are sealed though. 

I will fit the diesel hearer and switch between Alde and heater I think. Thanks again for the advice on Alde settings, will try that for sure. 

WotEver....

that manual is the one!!! I’ll have a good read of that before it arrives... cheers bud 

2 hours ago, Bread said:

Doratheexolorer...thanks for that advice. A solid fuel stove is the one I agree but I find it really gets to my asthma so trying something different. 

Will make sure all doors and draughts are sealed though. 

I will fit the diesel hearer and switch between Alde and heater I think. Thanks again for the advice on Alde settings, will try that for sure. 

WotEver....

that manual is the one!!! I’ll have a good read of that before it arrives... cheers bud 

Ah, asthma changes things a little.  If I were in your situation I'd be looking at saving for a diesel stove then, like a refleks or kabola, with a back boiler. 

• Greenie 2