Coventry Canal, Coventry Arm

Nick D

Featured Posts

I need to go away for a few days. Leaving the boat plus wife and dogs onboard. Is the basin an idea to be avoided or good choice. Being a city, travel is in hand. With the hire base being there I guess it's a safer place to be than before. Dog walking could be an issue. We have been to the basin in the past,but at that time weren't grave enough to overnight there. Possibly 8 or more years ago.

Another idea is  pop onto the Ashby and moor near Hinckley.

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I need to go away for a few days. Leaving the boat plus wife and dogs onboard. Is the basin an idea to be avoided or good choice. Being a city, travel is in hand. With the hire base being there I guess it's a safer place to be than before. Dog walking could be an issue. We have been to the basin in the past,but at that time weren't grave enough to overnight there. Possibly 8 or more years ago.

Interested in the answer! We bottled out of going into the basin last month.

I quess a lot depends on whether the wife likes city centres. Fall back could be Sutton stop...with buses into the centre ...but not many food shops near (just the one convenience store we have found)..but we stopped in Atherstone last month before the top lock. Nice town.

We tried to moor overnight there last week but it was full - others also failed at the same time. There is only room for about six boats. However, there is a little more space just outside. We found it OK to moor there overnight and to go into the city for the morning. The nearby benches did seem in the evening to be doing as stand-in for the local youth club, which no doubt has closed as long with all the others. That said, there is no security in the basin, it is also a public space.

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Just a pleasant stroll away into town, have a look at google maps. 

I know the basin. Just didn't have the nerve to stay overnight. Spent about six hours there and ventured into the museum and beyond. Just concerned about safety and noise and dog walking and.........

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have over nighted in the basin a few time , only once since the hire base has been there and never had a problem. I can't remember what the tow path out of there is like for dog walking but we use to have 2 dogs so must have been OK

Thanks for the comment about walking to dogs. Strangely didn't think of the tow path. der!

The exit/entry to Coventry Basin does not involve a towpath.

The bridge used to be barred at night to stop boats after dark.

This was done to prevent Bonny Prince Charlie from taking it over if they hadn't managed to stop him at Derby.  Of course nowadays you only have to walk over the bridge itself in order to access the towpath on the other side.

I might have got a bit excited then and exaggerated a bit …. p'raps!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I know the basin. Just didn't have the nerve to stay overnight. Spent about six hours there and ventured into the museum and beyond. Just concerned about safety and noise and dog walking and.........

Thanks for the comment about walking to dogs. Strangely didn't think of the tow path. der!

I would go for Atherstone, top of the locks, quick walk down to lock four and you are at the train station, dog walking better, shops if you need them close by and no polish fishing next your boat all night like the basin, or sitting on the bench drinking...

6 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I would go for Atherstone, top of the locks, quick walk down to lock four and you are at the train station, dog walking better, shops if you need them close by and no polish fishing next your boat all night like the basin, or sitting on the bench drinking...

Is that Mr Sheen still doing that?

Two years ago we mistakenly moored on the hire base side - no spaces being on the public side. We got a slight ticking off from the hire base staff, but he very kindly juggled boats around so that he could attend to his customers while creating a space for us.

If you're leaving the boat there for a day or so, perhaps a word with them and they might keep an eye on your boat? 

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

The exit/entry to Coventry Basin does not involve a towpath.

The bridge used to be barred at night to stop boats after dark.

This was done to prevent Bonny Prince Charlie from taking it over if they hadn't managed to stop him at Derby.  Of course nowadays you only have to walk over the bridge itself in order to access the towpath on the other side.

I might have got a bit excited then and exaggerated a bit …. p'raps!

Nice try, but the Scots' retreat from Derby was in 1745 and we have it from Ray T that the canal at Coventry was completed 24 years later in 1769. I think the river Trent would have been a more credible line of defence.

They weren't exactly stopped by the English anyway, after taking Derby they retreated because they thought there was a strong English army in the area about to attack them, but some think this fear was not well founded and they might have taken London if they'd pressed on as Bonnie Prince Charlie wanted.

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

Nice try, but the Scots' retreat from Derby was in 1745 and we have it from Ray T that the canal at Coventry was completed 24 years later in 1769. I think the river Trent would have been a more credible line of defence.

They weren't exactly stopped by the English anyway, after taking Derby they retreated because they thought there was a strong English army in the area about to attack them, but some think this fear was not well founded and they might have taken London if they'd pressed on as Bonnie Prince Charlie wanted.

Yes I know, I was there 1745, but had to be home for my tea by 1800.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We moored there last Friday for one night. We had no issues and it was great for a short stop.  If you can get into the basin that feels safer than mooring outside, though the fishing tackle shop alongside the moorings was boarded up and a notice said it had closed down because of repeated burglaries. Also, although fairly quiet last week, I can imagine it getting a bit rowdier once the students return as there are some student flats just along from the basin.  Not sure I'd feel comfortable about leaving my wife and dogs there for a few nights though. I think the earlier suggestion about Atherstone is a better idea imo.

10 hours ago, Nick D said:

We moored there last Friday for one night. We had no issues and it was great for a short stop.  If you can get into the basin that feels safer than mooring outside, though the fishing tackle shop alongside the moorings was boarded up and a notice said it had closed down because of repeated burglaries. Also, although fairly quiet last week, I can imagine it getting a bit rowdier once the students return as there are some student flats just along from the basin.  Not sure I'd feel comfortable about leaving my wife and dogs there for a few nights though. I think the earlier suggestion about Atherstone is a better idea imo.

Thank you Nick. We have done away with the Basin idea now. Shame, as wifey would have enjoyed all the shops, especially the charity shops. There'll be others!

41 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thank you Nick. We have done away with the Basin idea now. Shame, as wifey would have enjoyed all the shops, especially the charity shops. There'll be others!

Wait for the Daventry arm to be built or go by bus from Braunston she will be very happy in the high street. Hard to find a non charity shop.

Daventry has been done to death over the years. As a foot not, have you tried recently to get a bus from Braunston to Daventry or Rugby. The route has been changed and they no longer go past the Boathouse or Marina. (A45). You have to walk up to the Village Green at the far end. Hey ho!

Edited by Nightwatch

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2018 at 18:19, Richard T said:

Coconuts are part of the Hindu burial rites. Many peoples ashes are scattered in canals and rivers along with garlands and coconuts. There are lot in our area because of the large local Hindu communities.

I happened to moor at Osney island about 10 days ago and was just heading out for dinner when this kicked off. A number of people were gathered on the bridge in curiosity. I recalled this thread and was happy to be able to relate to people something I'd read online concerning coconuts, a proxy Ganges, and Hindu ceremonies. 

Thought others might find this interesting. Captured here on video for the first time is the ceremonial smashing of the coconut on the Thames mooring. 

On 06/09/2018 at 11:12, Nightwatch said:

Daventry has been done to death over the years. As a foot not, have you tried recently to get a bus from Braunston to Daventry or Rugby. The route has been changed and they no longer go past the Boathouse or Marina. (A45). You have to walk up to the Village Green at the far end. Hey ho!

there's a footpath that goes straight there from bottom lock (the bus stop on the green that is)

Edited by Jess--

17 minutes ago, AftApeth said:

I happened to moor at Osney island about 10 days ago and was just heading out for dinner when this kicked off. A number of people were gathered on the bridge in curiosity. I recalled this thread and was happy to be able to relate to people something I'd read online concerning coconuts, a proxy Ganges, and Hindu ceremonies. 

Thought others might find this interesting. Captured here on video for the first time is the ceremonial smashing of the coconut on the Thames mooring. 

IMG_1192.MOV

I was hoping the video would embed. Here's a screenshot to give you an idea. It was far from a sombre affair. There was lots of chanting and jangling of tambourines, and the overall effect was rather jolly.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 15.26.48.png