Coventry Canal, Coventry Arm

Nick D

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, Ray T said:

The TESCO store is where the gas works were.

Boats used to load coal there.

Coventry Gas Works.JPG

Husband said he used to fish there about 60 years ago, he has a vague memory of those coal boats, he can remember them being so full the water used to lap close to the top.

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Husband said he used to fish there about 60 years ago, he has a vague memory of those coal boats, he can remember them being so full the water used to lap close to the top.

From A Canal People Longdon / Rolt.

CV Gas Works.jpg

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Mike55 said:

Currently moored in Coventry Basin. One half of the Y is taken up by the hire boat company, but the other (on right as you enter the basin) is 7 day mooring, as is one space across between the legs of the Y. Mooring prohibited (in theory) in front of shops on right. If space tight could moor between shops & Elsan block. Note, water point is outside basin.

Basin seems to be an oasis, walk into city centre over ring road isn't great, but it's fine. Don't miss Cash's Hundred Houses near bridge 2 on way in.

Canal is narrow & seems shallow too in places, with rubbish, including numerous coconuts. Goodness knows where they came from. It's worth the diversion from Hawkesbury Junction.

That no mooring space is not a mooring, it is in fact in the winding hole!

Dire things will happen if you moor there and a seventy footer want to turn around!

You have been warned!

Nipper

4 minutes ago, nipper said:

That no mooring space is not a mooring, it is in fact in the winding hole!

Dire things will happen if you moor there and a seventy footer want to turn around!

You have been warned!

Nipper

I'm not moored there, and wouldn't. Last night I asked a hire boat to move up so that they didn't have half a boat length between them & the next boat. This would have allowed me to moor without infringing that space, but also make best use of the available space. They refused. So I moored on the other side - no problem for me. Once the place had filled up later, the last boat to arrive moored to the 2 bollards in the winding hole. They shouldn't have, but I sympathise with their predicament, caused by other's inconsiderate mooring.

Tonight, the hire boat has moved up, & no one is moored in the winding hole.

Just a small point, it's not The Coventry Arm.

There is no Coventry Arm.

There are several pubs around the country called The Coventry Arms, but no Coventry Arm.

It is the Coventry Canal, it starts at The Coventry Basin and terminates at Fradley Junction. 

In the days of commercial Carrying there were a few arms leading to collieries and their wharves.  However none were called "The Coventry Arm"

It is known by some as The Five and a half, as that is how many miles it is from Sutton Stop or Hawkesbury to the basin, but it's not an arm it is the mainline.

I'm only stressing the point because this is how things pass into history as custom and tradition.

?

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Me too.

I never realised the GU was a tributary of the Ganges.

?

GUnges- 

(sounds like some parts of  the GU) 

Gunge
ɡʌn(d)ʒ/
BRITISHinformal
noun
  1. 1.
    an unpleasantly sticky or viscous substance.

18 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I think the precedent was set when the large Asian community around Southall appealed to their religious leaders to have The Grand Union recognised as a tributary of The Ganges for the purpose of traditional funerals.

Leicester followed suite upgrading The River Soar  and of course The Coventry Canal eventually flows into The River Soar via The Trent & Misery as well as The Grand Onion when the pumps at Braunston are in operation.  

So I'm glad we sorted that out, and no mistake.

The Grand Onion would be a great nickname for the GU! Or a great boat name!

14 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Is the referred Motor Museum not the Transport Museum? Been there a couple of times and it's all about transport through the ages. There's even very old prams 

Indeedy doody! 

Also despite all of the boat building and transportation by canal that happened in Coventry you won't find a single reference to this form of transport in The Transport Museum. ?

Was down the five and half this weekend for a couple of nights in the basin, must say most of the canal looked a lot better than last time i was down there, a lot of trimming and clearing up the rubbish has taken place and hats to however did this, the middle bit by hungry horse pub is always a bit grotty and shallow.

I moored in the hire base arm on Saturday night as the other arm was full, but moved over Sunday morning when a boat pushed off, no problem from the hire company, there was plenty of space outside the basin also, which sometimes might be better suited due to the lights being on all night in the basin and keeping you awake.

Was down the five and half this weekend for a couple of nights in the basin, must say most of the canal looked a lot better than last time i was down there, a lot of trimming and clearing up the rubbish has taken place and hats to however did this, the middle bit by hungry horse pub is always a bit grotty and shallow.

I moored in the hire base arm on Saturday night as the other arm was full, but moved over Sunday morning when a boat pushed off, no problem from the hire company, there was plenty of space outside the basin also, which sometimes might be better suited due to the lights being on all night in the basin and keeping you awake.

Also, there is a brewery a short walk from bridge 12...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Dhillons+Brewery+Ltd/@52.4491885,-1.4924195,161m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xa2631353ab1adf78!8m2!3d52.4512094!4d-1.4934533