Coventry Canal, Coventry Arm

Nick D

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Good moorings in the basin, close to the city centre. Well worth a visit. Motor museum nearby. Cathedral etc a bit further.

Jen

Are you sure this is still the case. I understood that since the hire company moved in the visitor moorings were outside the basin almost under a busy ring road. May well be wrong though.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you sure this is still the case. I understood that since the hire company moved in the visitor moorings were outside the basin almost under a busy ring road. May well be wrong though.

You can still more in the other arm to the one the hire company uses, unless it has chanaged it the last months.  It is worth the trip, it gets a bit grotty 2/3rds the way down but don’t let that put you off.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Been a couple of years since the last visit. It was nice then!

Currently moored in Coventry Basin. One half of the Y is taken up by the hire boat company, but the other (on right as you enter the basin) is 7 day mooring, as is one space across between the legs of the Y. Mooring prohibited (in theory) in front of shops on right. If space tight could moor between shops & Elsan block. Note, water point is outside basin.

Basin seems to be an oasis, walk into city centre over ring road isn't great, but it's fine. Don't miss Cash's Hundred Houses near bridge 2 on way in.

Canal is narrow & seems shallow too in places, with rubbish, including numerous coconuts. Goodness knows where they came from. It's worth the diversion from Hawkesbury Junction.

5 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

Canal is narrow & seems shallow too in places, with rubbish, including numerous coconuts. Goodness knows where they came from. It's worth the diversion from Hawkesbury Junction.

Coconuts are part of the Hindu burial rites. Many peoples ashes are scattered in canals and rivers along with garlands and coconuts. There are lot in our area because of the large local Hindu communities.

10 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

Currently moored in Coventry Basin. One half of the Y is taken up by the hire boat company, but the other (on right as you enter the basin) is 7 day mooring, as is one space across between the legs of the Y. Mooring prohibited (in theory) in front of shops on right. If space tight could moor between shops & Elsan block. Note, water point is outside basin.

Basin seems to be an oasis, walk into city centre over ring road isn't great, but it's fine. Don't miss Cash's Hundred Houses near bridge 2 on way in.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coconuts-floating-coventry-canal-13059494

Edited by Jennifer McM

I think the precedent was set when the large Asian community around Southall appealed to their religious leaders to have The Grand Union recognised as a tributary of The Ganges for the purpose of traditional funerals.

Leicester followed suite upgrading The River Soar  and of course The Coventry Canal eventually flows into The River Soar via The Trent & Misery as well as The Grand Onion when the pumps at Braunston are in operation.  

So I'm glad we sorted that out, and no mistake.

I used to love going to the old Coventry canal society rallies on the arm. We assembled at the greyhound and cruised down to the basin where various activities took place. I won the boat handling twice and got banned from the next year. At the time I had a 20ft cruiser with out drive and it would do wonderful things it reverse. Can’t say the same about my 22m barge!

During my apprenticeship with the GPO I was taken to the top of the gas holder on the right by the subs app and line man who looked after the phones on site. A gent named Billy Hill.

Used to call them "Gasometers", haven't heard that word for years. Possibly as there aren't many left.

Edited by Ray T

21 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Dav & Pen, as a local I can say the area is much improved since your photo.

I will be at the basin Friday lunch time ish.

Nick how long do you intend to stay?

We might also be there Friday but will only be able to stay for one night. Will keep a look out for you.