Naburn-Goole

Señor Chris

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

Excellent. Is Hook also known as Howden Dyke?

Hook is on south side, Howden Dyke is on north side. I think this is the island they are warning you about.

image.png.96222c379c712bc03a6e447f4e0b187d.png

This isn't local river knowledge as I've only done Naburn to Barmby Barrage, but I do have a lot of relatives in the area.

That's the place. I've done it twice the other way - got it wrong first time and was lucky to get over the sand bar. The channel under Boothferry Bridge is over on the left (going down) so you need to start moving right as you pass the M62 bridge (from memory either arch). When the tide is up it's a very wide expanse of water but probably easier to cock it up when going upstream than it is going down. There were a lot of boils on the up tide on the apex of the corner opposite Howden Dyke but don't know how the ebb affects it. There's quite a flow so I would suggest you avoid a big spring tide.

PS I'm sure you already know that you'll be on port authority water so you need VHF and minimum two people on board.

Edited by Midnight

1 hour ago, Señor Chris said:

So the plan is: Leave Naburn first thing at high water, approx 4hrs with the tide arriving Goole low water then tie up to a pier for 3hrs until Ocean Lock opens for business.

All comments and/or scare stories gratefully received.

Is there a suitable pier?

8 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

There is Blacktoft Jerry further downstream but it will mean going past Goole to come back again.

Believe there used to be a charge for using it as well. Not sure if there still is.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Midnight said:

I'm sure you already know that you'll be on port authority water so you need VHF and minimum two people on board.

Yep - all sorted.

18 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Have to check that - Nicholson's mentions a charge for using piers unless waiting for a lock so I assumed there would be...

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

There is Blacktoft Jerry further downstream but it will mean going past Goole to come back again.

...unless that's the only one.

There is a chart for the Ouse showing the channel . I guess you can buy it at Naburn Marina ?

http://www.kildalemarine.co.uk/product/the-boating-association-ouse-chart

Going in at Selby and then via the canals  is the more cautious route if your boat is able to pass unde the rather low bridges on the Selby Canal.

Ships are given priority at Goole and the tide runs fast .

I have exited Goole and doing 4 knots forwards and pointing downstream have been going backwards over the ground due to the incoming tide. This was not an issue as I had 170hp available in 2.5Tonne boat so pushing the control forwards dealt nicely with that little issue. 

12 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Believe there used to be a charge for using it as well. Not sure if there still is.

Their still is and it has cameras as well ? we went past the dock and ran it aground until the dock was ready [about 2 hours late as it happens] what about the old river? is anything suitable to tie up there?