Question For Eco Fan Warriors Only!

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Can't remember now why it didn't go round, we tried to mend it by watching 'how to' youtubes, and we had the soldering iron out. Think we forgot to remove it to a safe place from the top of the stove when we moved too many times, and it had one too many falls. We don't have it anymore.

It probably stopped Rotating because there was a logic Storm that Day and its mythical Functionality just simply Vapourized?

All those who think the fans should create a howling gale to work are wrong. They work because the movement of air that they produce disrupts the thermal  cycle the stove sets up thus allowing the warm air to move away from the fire. Our 60 footer was never cold, we spent the winter in T shirts and never had more than a 4 tog duvet on the bed.

Anyone whose boat is cold in winter is doing something wrong 

Phil 

Getting up and walking past the stove is likely to generate comparable air displacement, get the circulation in your feet working and thereby keep those toes warm(er).  

We inherited an ecofan when we bought our boat. Unfortunately it died after we left it on the stove and it fell to the floor too many times when we cruised.

We did notice the kitchen floor was colder after it died. Also it was great indicator of how our stove was doing. If the fan started winding down we'd snap to attention.

We bought a replacement and our kitchen floor was warm again.

Before purchasing our eco fan (other fans are available), to keep my feet warm, i would walk about with two buckets of warm water on my feet. 

Mrs rusty thought this was stupid, so she would handstand everywhere until spring. 

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

eta....Go on Rusty, put the link up!

Do you mean the "just a quick question one (over 1000 replies) .......... " posed by that w̶i̶n̶d̶-̶u̶p̶ ̶m̶e̶r̶c̶h̶a̶n̶t̶ smelly bloke. 

Or the conclusive proof one, by that doctor bloke.... 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

If it is an actual made by Ecofan ecofan, then you can get spare motors. The thermoelectric module on a dead fan can be tested by removing the wires from the motor and measuring for a voltage across the wires with the fan on a lit stove. If the thermoelectric bit is generating power, then the motor is knackered. Replacement is easy, though some early models need soldering, for which you need the equipment and skill.

I put a new motor in mine a long while back . Can't remember the cost, but a lot less than a new one. http://www.ecofan.co.uk/woodstove-ecofan-spares.html

Jen

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If it is an actual made by Ecofan ecofan, then you can get spare motors. The thermoelectric module on a dead fan can be tested by removing the wires from the motor and measuring for a voltage across the wires with the fan on a lit stove. If the thermoelectric bit is generating power, then the motor is knackered. Replacement is easy, though some early models need soldering, for which you need the equipment and skill.

I put a new motor in mine a long while back . Can't remember the cost, but a lot less than a new one. http://www.ecofan.co.uk/woodstove-ecofan-spares.html

Jen

To do any of these checks one actually needs an Ecofan. 

The OP binned theirs when it got borked!

14 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Blimey, at that price I would buy three. I think they are made of aluminium though, not steel.

The duck is unanimous in saying this particular fan works. He was part of the Ultimate test of ecofans, reported in a thread earlier in the year. Ours worked famously again yesterday but unfortunately it didnt go round today. I think the fire went out.

eta....Go on Rusty, put the link up!

But surely if they work your polythene duck would have melted by now? ?

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

How do you know it hasn't? 

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

New word ...not Generating Power but .. Pretenderating Power!?

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Because Dr Bob said the duck is unanimous in saying this particular fan works.

??

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

??

Ok

Ok

16 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

New word ...not Generating Power but .. Pretenderating Power!?

Degenerate

you

degenerate. :)

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Is there an echo?

Is there an echo?

No 

Yes 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

No, the duck was sat in front of the fan, not on top of it. It doesnt get up to 140°C in front of the fan.

No, the duck was sat in front of the fan, not on top of it. It doesnt get up to 140°C in front of the fan.