Question For Eco Fan Warriors Only!

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Before purchasing our eco fan (other fans are available), to keep my feet warm, i would walk about with two buckets of warm water on my feet. 

Mrs rusty thought this was stupid, so she would handstand everywhere until spring. 

Didn't Mrs Rusty have cold hands then?

33 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Very likely. It must be very exciting on regeneration day,so many things to do. She must remember to pee. 

THETFORD - Time Had Ended Too Fast On Regeneration Day. 

PUMPOUT - Perhaps uncertainty marks puppets of untimely timelords.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

All those who think the fans should create a howling gale to work are wrong. They work because the movement of air that they produce disrupts the thermal  cycle the stove sets up thus allowing the warm air to move away from the fire. Our 60 footer was never cold, we spent the winter in T shirts and never had more than a 4 tog duvet on the bed.

Anyone whose boat is cold in winter is doing something wrong 

Phil 

Our boat is bloody freezing in winter. But we are not doing anything wrong

8 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Rusty gets todays prize. However i have to come to uk in march next year first time for14 years. I am ‘ concerned’ . I will book eco fan in for a major service before leaving in october.

Make sure they calibrate the voltage properly.

Funny. The only problem we ever had was trying to keep the temp down once the Squirrel is going. Easy 30C inside regardless of the winter. Always been happy that the bedroom is cooler ?

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Jak said:

Funny. The only problem we ever had was trying to keep the temp down once the Squirrel is going. Easy 30C inside regardless of the winter. Always been happy that the bedroom is cooler ?

Tis easy to get the temperature down (or not let it get too hot in the first place) by regulating the air flow into the stove.

The tricky bit, is to get a  nice even heat throughout the boat. Easier to achieve with radiators. 

Or two squirrels in our case. 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Tis easy to get the temperature down (or not let it get too hot in the first place) by regulating the air flow into the stove.

The tricky bit, is to get a  nice even heat throughout the boat. Easier to achieve with radiators. 

Or two squirrels in our case. 

It's very cruel to keep squirrels in a case. They prefer to be in trees.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2018 at 22:26, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's about the only fault that can't be fixed!

Who'd have thought things could get lost on a boat... I didn't throw the old eco fan out after all.

I'm sure it'll want another motor fitted, which looks be about the price of a new eco fan. We have had the eco fan in pieces (last March) in an attempt to fix it while following a youtube, but I can't remember what we did to it, if anything, now. 

Does anyone want it FOC (it is the Original Ecofan)? Anyone up for a challenge? Otherwise, it's fated for the bin.

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Does anyone want it FOC (it is the Original Ecofan)? Anyone up for a challenge? Otherwise, it's fated for the bin.

Really. Shirley it should be buried with full military honours after spreading the warmth in your boat for so many months.

There must be many other uses for a nearly dead ecofan (other fans are available). For starters, when you get your new fan, attach a magnet to a blade of the old one and a magnet to a blade of the new one. Place them side by side on top of the stove and when the new one goes round, the old one will too giving you twice the air flow you will get from one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Really. Shirley it should be buried with full military honours after spreading the warmth in your boat for so many months.

There must be many other uses for a nearly dead ecofan (other fans are available). For starters, when you get your new fan, attach a magnet to a blade of the old one and a magnet to a blade of the new one. Place them side by side on top of the stove and when the new one goes round, the old one will too giving you twice the air flow you will get from one.

It's not totally dead yet, and I think it deserves a reprieve, and maybe it will help someone with a masochistic determined character who would like a challenge in the long winter nights ahead. Now you can't say I'm anything but caring.... ?

Attaching a magnet to a blade on the new and old fan, I've thought about it, but no... I don't think that would fly ? 

But... you've given me a brilliant idea which could save the life of the new fan! A 45kg strong magnet with an eye has been attached it to the flue, the new fan is attached to the eye with a D ring. Then if we forget to remove the fan before we travel, the fan will be saved! That's down to you Dr Bob, you're a fan saver! ?

flue.jpg

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It's not totally dead yet, and I think it deserves a reprieve, and maybe it will help someone with a masochistic determined character who would like a challenge in the long winter nights ahead. Now you can't say I'm anything but caring.... ?

Attaching a magnet to a blade on the new and old fan, I've thought about it, but no... I don't think that would fly ? 

But... you've given me a brilliant idea which could save the life of the new fan! A 45kg strong magnet with an eye has been attached it to the flue, the new fan is attached to the eye with a D ring. Then if we forget to remove the fan before we travel, the fan will be saved! That's down to you Dr Bob, you're a fan saver! ?

flue.jpg

Is magnetism affected by temperature? Watch when you light the stove in case the fan is too powerful and pulls the magnet off once the temperature gets up to high.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Is magnetism affected by temperature? Watch when you light the stove in case the fan is too powerful and pulls the magnet off once the temperature gets up to high.

Crikey.... 

magnet.jpg.b3bf700ec7079ae5efe0b0810e09210f.jpg

We'll be the a test case, and report back. 

If the fan pulls a 45kg magnet off the flue..... we're sunk!

• Greenie 1