Question For Eco Fan Warriors Only!

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Our eco fan gave up the ghost around the end of March this year. I'm convinced they work cos my feet are much warmer when the fan twirled.

My dilema is which one to get, do I get a two bladed one like the previous one, or do we go for the 3, 4, or 5 bladed ones?

There's quite a variance on price, depending on the make I suppose... normally you get what you pay for, but in this instance I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a £25 one or is it worth pushing the boat out (pun not intended ?) for one over £75?

The stove is by the bow, and the warm air needs to reach the end of our 58ft boat.

Thanks for your thoughts! ?

Edited by Jennifer McM

You need a five blade one  on the stove , a four blade at 10 ft , three blade at 20 foot etc . You see the pattern. You will have a howling gale at the other end of the boat.

Total cost will be in the order of 5 times £75 or roughly the cost of a second stove.

if you believe this will work it will.

failing that by a 25 quid one and believe in it because... they do not work......the placebo effect is in place because you spent money...

14 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

You need a five blade one  on the stove , a four blade at 10 ft , three blade at 20 foot etc . You see the pattern. You will have a howling gale at the other end of the boat.

Total cost will be in the order of 5 times £75 or roughly the cost of a second stove.

if you believe this will work it will.

failing that by a 25 quid one and believe in it because... they do not work......the placebo effect is in place because you spent money...

Thanks for replying Roland. I know this topic contentious. I don't think it is a placebo effect, we never bought the old one, as it came with the boat. The fan had been on/off broken for a couple of months, and when it worked it was noticeable at the back of the boat.

23 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We have a four blade fan that came free with our hobbit stove, I think the more blades the better.

That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if there was a 'hidden' reason not to have too many blades. Thanks Rob!

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

https://www.fluesystems.com/shop/baby-equaliser-stove-fan.html

@Dr Bob said they are brilliant, he's a doctor. 

I listened to the doctors advise. It goes round, and i paid more than 22 quid, but not yet convinced it works. The supplier is also good. 

Thanks Rusty for the link! Must always take the docs advice! ?

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if there was a 'hidden' reason not to have too many blades. Thanks Rob!

Thanks Rusty for the link! Must always take the docs advice! ?

I suspect its a steal at 22 quid. Its a solid bit if kit. I may buy another one. How many can you fit on a squirrel? 

Eta, still not convinced they work though. 

Edited by rusty69

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I suspect its a steal at 22 quid. Its a solid bit if kit. I may buy another one. How many can you fit on a squirrel? 

Eta, still not convinced they work though. 

I'm not too sure how many you can get on a squirrel, would think that when the squirrel's legs start to get bandy, you've gone too far. You should get a vet's doc's advice.

Think we'll go for Rusty's suggestion... thanks again Rusty!

I might get this one for Christmas too 

41G5PxrKl-L._AC_US218_.jpg

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I'm not too sure how many you can get on a squirrel, would think that when the squirrel's legs start to get bandy, you've gone too far. You should get a vet's doc's advice.

Oh no. Don't go with my advice. Nobody ever does. 

If it all goes horribly wrong, blame dr bob, otherwise it was my idea. :)

• Haha 2

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

Blimey, just seen the price down from £74.40 to £22.32 - like you said a steel!

Of course they have gone down in price. All fantastic bits of kit fall in price when in great demand!! ?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Yep its because ..... wait for it... they dont work. Our bulkhead is 9 feet from the fire. 

Our bed is against the bulkhead. It was cold.

we bought an eco fan. It turned at speed. No change. Looked at wind pattern with smoke. It stops 4 feet from stove. 

All fan does is turn heat into bearing noise.

The floodgates are open. Eco fan myths abound. Time to book flights back to australia.

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Whisper Stirling Powered Stove Fan

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Blimey, at that price I would buy three. I think they are made of aluminium though, not steel.

The duck is unanimous in saying this particular fan works. He was part of the Ultimate test of ecofans, reported in a thread earlier in the year. Ours worked famously again yesterday but unfortunately it didnt go round today. I think the fire went out.

eta....Go on Rusty, put the link up!

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why not mend the one you have now?

Can't remember now why it didn't go round, we tried to mend it by watching 'how to' youtubes, and we had the soldering iron out. Think we forgot to remove it to a safe place from the top of the stove when we moved too many times, and it had one too many falls. We don't have it anymore.

Edited by Jennifer McM