Bmc Gaskets plea

Titan

Featured Posts

Manifold & sump gaskets for a 1500 BMC

Engine, were at the Milton Keynes Floating Market and an engine has failed on a fellow boaters craft. Now we've found an engine but need to swop sumps and heat exchanger etc. Here's the thing we only have today and tomorrow to accomplish this on the Towpath. Any help appreciated.

Kind regards Martin

Not hopeful being a bank holiday. If you have a car I am sure Calcutt will be open. Otherwise some thoughts.

I doubt many, if any, Motor Factors will be open but some might or the dreaded Halfords.  I think BMC 1500 petrol engine gaskets may well fit but take patterns to be sure. They may have some thicker gasket paper to make the sump gasket out of but if so I think I would also use a smear of silicon jointing/gasket compound.

If not, as its not a  pneumatically governed diesel, you don't need a manifold gasket but it will chuff exhaust gasses a bit. In extremis I would use silicon gasket goo for the sump. Liberally apply to one surface, bolt the sump up evenly until the goo oozes out a little all round. Allow to set then fully tighten may be the way to go with the stuff. Not sure I would use the stuff on the manifold because some poor soul is going have to get the baked on stuff off in the future.     

21 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Cereal packet carefully cut to shape with a smear of grease will do just fine.

But, isn't it an all in one sump gasket? If so it will need a big serial packet.

If this is the engine the other thread is about then the manifold gaskets are all in one for exhaust and inlet but you don't even need an inlet manifold on he majority of inland diesels so if push comes to shove just leave it off. Warn the owner about getting stuff sucked in the ports though.

14 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

B series petrol manifold gaskets are the same, cardboard will do the job cut to shape.   Exhaust, use the old one?

Sump gasket can be made in 2 pieces with a dovetail joint and a smear of gasket goo on the joints.

There's only one manifold gasket, it spans all five ports

• Greenie 2

With tin sumps the rim where the bolt holes are are most probably distorted and proud of the rest of the rim, these need knocking back level and checked with a straight edge ruler or something or it will most likely leak oil even with a new gasket.

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not hopeful being a bank holiday. If you have a car I am sure Calcutt will be open. Otherwise some thoughts.

I doubt many, if any, Motor Factors will be open but some might or the dreaded Halfords.  I think BMC 1500 petrol engine gaskets may well fit but take patterns to be sure. They may have some thicker gasket paper to make the sump gasket out of but if so I think I would also use a smear of silicon jointing/gasket compound.

If not, as its not a  pneumatically governed diesel, you don't need a manifold gasket but it will chuff exhaust gasses a bit. In extremis I would use silicon gasket goo for the sump. Liberally apply to one surface, bolt the sump up evenly until the goo oozes out a little all round. Allow to set then fully tighten may be the way to go with the stuff. Not sure I would use the stuff on the manifold because some poor soul is going have to get the baked on stuff off in the future.     

I have used Instant Gasket, ie silicon on BMC sumps in the past and you are unlikely to want to remove it again soon. This one says its good for exhausts as well https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/head-gasket-exhaust-repairs/granville-instant-gasket-40g

or https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/head-gasket-exhaust-repairs/loctite-si-5980-flange-sealant

Capture.JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler

On 27/08/2018 at 07:34, Titan said:

Manifold & sump gaskets for a 1500 BMC

Engine, were at the Milton Keynes Floating Market and an engine has failed on a fellow boaters craft. Now we've found an engine but need to swop sumps and heat exchanger etc. Here's the thing we only have today and tomorrow to accomplish this on the Towpath. Any help appreciated.

Kind regards Martin

If it's the same as the 1.8 then Rimmer Bros have gasckets.    https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID000357