Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Scholar Gypsy

Thames tideway Teddington to Limehouse

Featured Posts

dsc_6513.jpgA fun trip earlier this week. 

Main point of wider interest is that there is now a lot of tideway tunnel construction  activity on the river, and more tug traffic.  Important to read the notices to mariners and watch out for obstructions.  Nasty one below Vauxhall bridge where the duck boats used to launch.

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2018/08/22/teddington-to-limehouse/

• Greenie 1

Great photos. I look at the Thames tideway in a completely different light now having done it a couple of months ago, greatly enhanced by having an expert on board ?.

We enjoyed it so much we hope to do it again someday but this time downstream and perhaps venture further than Limehouse. 

For those of you who have never done it I recommend it. It's not as scary as I'd imagined. 

Thanks - nice to hear from you again.

There are some earlier postings on my blog on trips down to Dartford (2018) and to the Medway (2016).  All perfectly manageable if the wind is behaving.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

On 27/08/2018 at 09:45, Grassman said:

Great photos. I look at the Thames tideway in a completely different light now having done it a couple of months ago, greatly enhanced by having an expert on board ?.

We enjoyed it so much we hope to do it again someday but this time downstream and perhaps venture further than Limehouse. 

For those of you who have never done it I recommend it. It's not as scary as I'd imagined. 

Going downstream and entering Limehouse can be scary. I've done it 3 times and the adrenaline was rushing through my bloodstream every time.

This was taken coming upstream after leaving Limehouse.

New Picture (2) - Copy.jpg

I can imagine it is, but I was okay because I exited Limehouse and went upstream to Lechlade. 

I have done difficult ones like West Stockwith and Keadby on the Trent, and Selby on the Ouse so I don't know how Limehouse compares.

I would say that entering Limehouse is easier  than West Stockwith, in terms of steering the boat and not hitting the lock walls. Not done Keadby or Selby but I suspect they are similar to Stockwith. The trick with Limehouse is to focus on where you boat is going, not which way it is pointing.  

What does make Limehouse tricky is the large number of large and fast boats that you need to avoid.

One advantage of the downstream trip is that it starts easy and gets progressively harder, while with the upstream trip you are thrown into the difficult bit straightaway. Reminds me of the story about boiling frogs.

PS the obstruction at Vauxhall (south bank) has just got bigger  - recent NTN - and extends across part of No 4 arch.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

Going downstream and entering Limehouse can be scary. I've done it 3 times and the adrenaline was rushing through my bloodstream every time.

This was taken coming upstream after leaving Limehouse.

New Picture (2) - Copy.jpg

I can see that they had to open the bridge for you and stop all the traffic. 

• Greenie 1

No, those are his solar panels. The one facing north is because he'll shortly be passing the City and hopes to catch reflections off the office blocks.

11 hours ago, Grassman said:

I can imagine it is, but I was okay because I exited Limehouse and went upstream to Lechlade. 

I have done difficult ones like West Stockwith and Keadby on the Trent, and Selby on the Ouse so I don't know how Limehouse compares.

You've probably already got this, but if not there's some suggestions for entering Limehouse on pages 2.30 - 2.33.

http://dodington.net/35.pdf

I've always done it that way but some people shoot straight in (not advisable) or an alternative approach if there's no traffic is to turn early and ferry glide from an upstream position across the river and into the lock entrance.   

Edited by blackrose

8 hours ago, Peter X said:

No, those are his solar panels. The one facing north is because he'll shortly be passing the City and hopes to catch reflections off the office blocks.

Yes, it was a nice day. How many of us can say they've taken their boat under Tower Bridge and through central London shirtless?

New Picture (3).jpg

On 01/09/2018 at 19:51, blackrose said:

You've probably already got this, but if not there's some suggestions for entering Limehouse on pages 2.30 - 2.33.

http://dodington.net/35.pdf

I've always done it that way but some people shoot straight in (not advisable) or an alternative approach if there's no traffic is to turn early and ferry glide from an upstream position across the river and into the lock entrance.   

I finally had an opportunity to try the Ferry glide a couple of weeks ago, on a well powered wideboat. No outbound traffic, and one inbound clipper that we went behind. It was pretty straightforward. As I noted earlier, it's missing the other boats that is the tricky bit!

GPS track:ferry2.jpg

We can see the entrance to Limehouse from our flat.

I've witnessed every possible technique of entering Regent's Dock, including some poor soul who decided to go past the entrance and turn into the lock against the tide.  The problem was his engine wasn't powerful enough and it took about 45 minutes battling to get in.

Bet you're glad you didn't encounter these boats that went past Limehouse recently.

758487480_20180717_175655(1).jpg.9f4d6c78a2ae1d9015f2295e2437ccf8.jpg2135778096_20180715_154153(1).jpg.4eb08feef4f009a7895f50c8479bbe42.jpg

Nice photos! 

Yes that would have been fun - though I assume the PLA had a launch in front clearing the river....  

On the underpowered boat point, the other technique I would like to try is to cross the river well upstream of Limehouse, when there's a clear view, and then point upstream, close to the north bank, and just let the tide take you gently backwards to the lock. I've done this at a couple of other tidal locations, and it worked well.  It's not the same as the "torpedo" approach that I've seen discussed elsewhere - which doesn't appeal to me at all!

We went down to Limehouse earlier this month and indeed passed the lock and carried on until we could see anything heading upstream, naturally boats appeared from both directions. Oh the fun of being the slowest boat on the river when you are trying to turn across. Eventually we made the crossing and turning into Limehouse was a doddle, in my humble opinion the easiest and safest way to enter the dock. Lot more expensive than the last time we were there free for the first night then £27.50.

Not as bad as St. Kats. dock but still a lot of money for a crap mooring along side a wall.

Ken

1 hour ago, KenK said:

Lot more expensive than the last time we were there free for the first night then £27.50.

Not as bad as St. Kats. dock but still a lot of money for a crap mooring along side a wall.

Or you can go round the corner into Limehouse Cut and moor for free for up to 14 days.