Running engines

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

Electric refrigerators are the killer, save yourselves a huge amount of engine running and expense by turning the thing off at least during the winter when its not really needed at all and there's little or no solar charging. Swoon in the peace. Most folk do a shop every two or three days, so if fresh grub is bought it will easily keep fresh for a few days in winter. I have made a bottomless box kept on my cold steel deck which keeps grub lovely and cold. My gas fridge goes of during the winter.    Even better if the box is lined with aluminium sheet.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There are lots of threads on here about battery charging where people say they run their engine 2 hours daily and a long 7-8 hour charge once a week.  It's deemed to be good practice for looking after your batteries.  Why should this person be excluded from that? 

I often run my engine for over 5 hours and I bet loads of other people on here do too.

Two or three hours OK and reasonable, but five hours plus is really inconsiderate.  I note the good practice of a long charge but this is in the context of cruising and what boating is all about. The threads you refer to and the same good practice you concur with frown on running the engine 'light' and support cruising to recharge the batteries as the best option.  If people choose to live off grid they should accept the responsibility for their own lifestyle and not impose the consequences of such on to others.  In my experience most liveaboards behave responsibly and invest in solar, wind or hook up, the selfish ones just create bad PR especially with an attitude as demonstrated to me at Wheaton Aston.  

Just now, plainsman said:

Two or three hours OK and reasonable, but five hours plus is really inconsiderate.  I note the good practice of a long charge but this is in the context of cruising and what boating is all about. The threads you refer to and the same good practice you concur with frown on running the engine 'light' and support cruising to recharge the batteries as the best option.  If people choose to live off grid they should accept the responsibility for their own lifestyle and not impose the consequences of such on to others.  In my experience most liveaboards behave responsibly and invest in solar, wind or hook up, the selfish ones just create bad PR especially with an attitude as demonstrated to me at Wheaton Aston.  

No.  Just no. 

What about 4 hours?  Does that meet your approval or not?  

Stop trying to impose your opinions on others.  Engine running is allowed by CRT between 8-8.  If you don't like it, lobby CRT or go and moor somewhere quiet on your own.  The permanent moorings at Wheaton Aston don't have hook up and they can run their engines as they wish during the permitted times.

As for "in the context of cruising and what boating is all about", again please stop dictating to others what "boating is all about".  For many, boating is definitely not about charging around for 8 hours a day from place to place.  It's about staying in one place for 2 weeks at a time and getting to know an area.  Vive la difference!

And no, there are many threads on here advocating a long weekly charge with no mention of running the engine light or cruising while doing so.

The bottom line is that this person was doing nothing wrong and you could have quite easily moved on. There are some lovely quiet mooring spots down by High Onn, I suggest you try them. That's what I did when I was disturbed by engines running at Wheaton Aston earlier this year.

• Greenie 3

15 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

No.  Just no. 

(snip) 

There are some lovely quiet mooring spots down by High Onn, I suggest you try them. That's what I did when I was disturbed by engines running at Wheaton Aston earlier this year.

Well, there were till you moored up & ran your engine for 5 hours a day! 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, plainsman said:

Don't moor at Lady Lane moorings, North Stratford canal.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Electric refrigerators are the killer, save yourselves a huge amount of engine running and expense by turning the thing off at least during the winter when its not really needed at all and there's little or no solar charging. Swoon in the peace. Most folk do a shop every two or three days, so if fresh grub is bought it will easily keep fresh for a few days in winter. I have made a bottomless box kept on my cold steel deck which keeps grub lovely and cold. My gas fridge goes of during the winter.    Even better if the box is lined with aluminium sheet.

And have warm beer?

No thanks.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Don't moor at Lady Lane moorings, North Stratford canal.

Is that where you moor?

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

And have warm beer?

No thanks.

If that's your boat, then it appears you don't have a steel hull, so sadly you do have to keep your fridge running.

Exactly why I didn't feel any guilt about running me engine for a few hours the other night, next to the shiny boat that had moored right next to me, in an otherwise empty pound, 1km away from the next towpath moored boat!

And exactly why I was annoyed when they started their engine the next morning just after 8

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

And have warm beer?

No thanks.

Drink bitter

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Is that where you moor?

If that's your boat, then it appears you don't have a steel hull, so sadly you do have to keep your fridge running.

Why sadly?

We like our booze cold and our food in a state where it won't poison us!

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

No.  Just no. 

Stop trying to impose your opinions on others.  Engine running is allowed by CRT between 8-8.  If you don't like it, lobby CRT or go and moor somewhere quiet on your own.  The permanent moorings at Wheaton Aston don't have hook up and they can run their engines as they wish during the permitted times.

As for "in the context of cruising and what boating is all about", again please stop dictating to others what "boating is all about".  For many, boating is definitely not about charging around for 8 hours a day from place to place.  It's about staying in one place for 2 weeks at a time and getting to know an area.  Vive la difference!

And no, there are many threads on here advocating a long weekly charge with no mention of running the engine light or cruising while doing so.

The bottom line is that this person was doing nothing wrong and you could have quite easily moved on. There are some lovely quiet mooring spots down by High Onn, I suggest you try them. That's what I did when I was disturbed by engines running at Wheaton Aston earlier this year.

Whoes dictating or imposing opinions now????

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Engine running is allowed by CRT between 8-8.  If you don't like it, lobby CRT or go and moor somewhere quiet on your own.  

18 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Not opinions, but CRT policy.

So how does this fit in with  CRT licence condition 7.6?

7.6 You must do do anything to make a pain in the arse of yourself to other boaters. (I paraphrase).

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So how does this fit in with  CRT licence condition 7.6?

7.6 You must do do anything to make a pain in the arse of yourself to other boaters. (I paraphrase).

Firstly CRT policy allows engines to be run between 08:00 to 20:00.

Secondly, you have misinterpreted condition 7.6.

IIRC, it says you must not make yourself a pain in the arse, not that you Must!

(OK I realise it was a typo ??)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Firstly CRT policy allows engines to be run between 08:00 to 20:00.

Secondly, you have misinterpreted condition 7.6.

IIRC, it says you must not make yourself a pain in the arse, not that you Must!

(OK I realise it was a typo ??)

No, 7.6 comes first in the licence conditions so you can run yer engine in the daytime, SUBJECT to 7.6. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, 7.6 comes first in the licence conditions so you can run yer engine in the daytime, SUBJECT to 7.6. 

I agree, but whilst it is easy to objectively demonstrate the time, what constitutes causing a nuisance to others can be very subjective, i.e. one person will need ore tolerant of an give than another.