Running engines

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

We were sat on a busy visitors pontoon  on the Witham on Sunday evening. The mooring was nose to tail with boats and a few were rafted up.

At 8.30pm the boat immediately behind ours fired up their V8 petrol engine and sat there with it running.

Now the exhaust was a good 25ft or so away from our cockpit but the CO readings on our alarm immediately shot up. They sat there with the engine burbling away, cockpit covers up and the wind blowing the fumes into their cockpit. They cant have had a CO alarm on board because judging by the readings on our alarm it would have gone off.

After ten minutes it was obvious they were not going to switch it off and the readings were getting higher so we decided to vacate and go to the pub. If they want to kill themselves that is fine. But we were not willing for us and Syd to be their next victims.

Not sure how long they left it running for but when we came back a few hours later it was off and CO readings in our boat were back to normal.

Idiots in every sense. We have given in trying to educate these idiots as they just don't listen!

Edited by Naughty Cal

7 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I think the reason that people stop next to you when you're in the middle of no-where, is because seeing you moored makes their tiny little minds realise it is possible to moor up. 

Find a big empty car park and park up in the middle away from the pedestrian exits, It's a fair gamble that within an hour someone will park next to you. 

I think there's some sort of instinctive behaviour that people don't notice but unconsciously cause them to herd

Just now, tree monkey said:

Find a big empty car park and park up in the middle away from the pedestrian exits, It's a fair gamble that within an hour someone will park next to you. 

I think there's some sort of instinctive behaviour that people don't notice but unconsciously cause them to herd

This is very true.

Same with empty anchorages. 

Some plank always comes and anchors too close.

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looks to me as though that was the objective of the arse who was running his engine and spoiling the lovely afternoon. I bet he dislikes having boats moored oppostte him on the VMs so does this to make them move off. 

Close to where I moor is a bunch of offside EOG moorings with a couple of liveaboards, opposite a really nice 48 hour VM. One of the residents (whose boat never moves) runs either his engine or a whacking great diesel genny from about 6pm to between 10.30 & midnight. Every night. Oddly enough, not many use the VMs. 

54 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Close to where I moor is a bunch of offside EOG moorings with a couple of liveaboards, opposite a really nice 48 hour VM. One of the residents (whose boat never moves) runs either his engine or a whacking great diesel genny from about 6pm to between 10.30 & midnight. Every night. Oddly enough, not many use the VMs. 

I wonder if anyone has reported him to CRT, and, if so, what action was taken? 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

I wonder if anyone has reported him to CRT, and, if so, what action was taken? 

Personally, I don't like reporting anyone for anything less than something life threatening, so I haven't. I just make sure I moor up out of earshot. It is, after all, his home & he obviously feels the rules don't apply to him. So what could CRT do anyway? I doubt they'd take his licence away for engine running and it would be a bit extreme if they did. 

You just have to accept there is the same proportion of antisocial pillocks among boaters as there are anywhere else. 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Personally, I don't like reporting anyone for anything less than something life threatening, so I haven't. I just make sure I moor up out of earshot. It is, after all, his home & he obviously feels the rules don't apply to him. So what could CRT do anyway? I doubt they'd take his licence away for engine running and it would be a bit extreme if they did. 

You just have to accept there is the same proportion of antisocial pillocks among boaters as there are anywhere else. 

Sadly it seems to be a growing number on the waterways :(

On 27/08/2018 at 15:43, Wanderer Vagabond said:

By the same token I suppose that it could equally be argued that it is quite possible (in fact it used to be the practice) to propel a boat with just one horse power, so why have I got a 35h.p. engine?

The single horse was on the bank, while the 35 hp engine was in the water, and horses can't swim very well.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have knocked on boats running engines at 10pm but completely understand why some would be reluctant to do this, and of course, there's no guarantee this will have a successful outcome (in my case it did). The only other option is to involve CRT who, hopefully, will at least contact the offender and perhaps get a result. I don't know what further action they could/would take but if we all just accept anti-social behaviour these selfish individuals feel empowered to do whatever they want.

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

The only time I knocked on a boat to ask them to stop was at Llangollen at about 7am. Being as every berth has mains power I didn’t see why it was necessary .......

..... Hot water, no battery charger, oil change or just a selfish bstd.... 

Edited by rusty69

On 27/08/2018 at 15:24, mrsmelly said:

Had to give u a greenie for this post. Old knacker so called trad engines also do my head in and I always wonder how the hell people put up with them. Someone came the other direction from us on the Oxford summit pound today and we heard them coming for about 600 yards. The blokes missus was stood on the pointy end whilst he stood at the back with the splitter ruining his lungs and ear drums! We are moored int middle of nowhere now with only enough Armco for our boat so no one will moor anywhere near us tonight ?

Funny that...as the proud owner of a lovely Lister JP I’ve lost count on this summers boating of the number of compliments about the sound of my engine....from other boaters and those walking the bank...something you just don’t get on a boat with a digger engine...I love the sound of a big twin...or indeed a fine semi diesel. I feel sorry that you have no soul....

1 hour ago, Peter Thornton said:

The only time I knocked on a boat to ask them to stop was at Llangollen at about 7am. Being as every berth has mains power I didn’t see why it was necessary .......

Warming the engine up.

Just now, MartynG said:

Did they succeed ?

We didn't see them again so maybe they did.

That will teach them!

A reliable and  means of battery charging silently is clearly a great benefit to anyone with a boat. Has anyone on the canals considered a fuel cell?

They seem a very good solution for keeping the  batteries topped up.

https://www.efoy.com/

Not for me at present as the I  would not see sufficient benefit for the cost . However we can only hope the price would reduce  with time.

Are there any manufacturers  of comparable devices , other than efoy?

32 minutes ago, frangar said:

Funny that...as the proud owner of a lovely Lister JP I’ve lost count on this summers boating of the number of compliments about the sound of my engine....from other boaters and those walking the bank...something you just don’t get on a boat with a digger engine...I love the sound of a big twin...or indeed a fine semi diesel. I feel sorry that you have no soul....

I do have soul and I also have hearing that I want to keep! Do you drive a car for work etc? Does it ( err have soul ) or is it a vastly superior modern engine? Answers on a postcard ?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I do have soul and I also have hearing that I want to keep! Do you drive a car for work etc? Does it ( err have soul ) or is it a vastly superior modern engine? Answers on a postcard ?

My daily drive is a 1977 LWB petrol hard top Land Rover...so yes it has more soul than any modern jap crap will ever have...oh and I’ve owned it for 31 years......

Just now, frangar said:

My daily drive is a 1977 LWB petrol hard top Land Rover...so yes it has more soul than any modern jap crap will ever have...oh and I’ve owned it for 31 years......

Ahh that answers it for me then. You enjoy the torture of completely crap engines wether they be boat of car based, it takes all kinds so I will stick with reliable smoooooth Japanese vastly superior stuff ?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh that answers it for me then. You enjoy the torture of completely crap engines wether they be boat of car based, it takes all kinds so I will stick with reliable smoooooth Japanese vastly superior stuff ?

I once had a jap truck for work. It fell apart as you watched....I twisted the chassis trying to recover another wagon...hijacked the firms landy and got the stuck wagon out without even breaking sweat...I know my kit will outlast me...shame you won’t get parts for a jap digger once it’s a couple of years old...they like inbuilt obsolescence...sells more new units. 

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

I once had a jap truck for work. It fell apart as you watched....I twisted the chassis trying to recover another wagon...hijacked the firms landy and got the stuck wagon out without even breaking sweat...I know my kit will outlast me...shame you won’t get parts for a jap digger once it’s a couple of years old...they like inbuilt obsolescence...sells more new units. 

This is like tennis ? Just ask yourself HONESTLY if say in 1936 commercial boat operators had the choice of lister etc or shall we say today's kubota based marine units would they have bought lister? .........absolutely no chance is the answer unless peeps want to kid theirselves. I do however understand it well enough with hobby boating as I have owned many fab 1920s and 1930s cars for fun but no flipping way would they perform in any way and no way be remotely as reliable as modern Japanese stuff.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

This is like tennis ? Just ask yourself HONESTLY if say in 1936 commercial boat operators had the choice of lister etc or shall we say today's kubota based marine units would they have bought lister? .........absolutely no chance is the answer unless peeps want to kid theirselves. I do however understand it well enough with hobby boating as I have owned many fab 1920s and 1930s cars for fun but no flipping way would they perform in any way and no way be remotely as reliable as modern Japanese stuff.

My truck was a modern jap....it fell apart. They blew back axles for a pastime...£2k each time to replace....I’ll stick with my way of doing things....Are you ignoring all the threads on here about front pulleys falling off betas and needing new cranks?