Running engines

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And at mealtimes the microwave & cooker, which is why they kick off in an otherwise peaceful evening. Then to power the DVD player & 42" TV... 

This all depends on wether you are a hobby boater or not. Hobby boaters make use of all such stuff in their home much the same as liveaboards who are in their boat home. We never ever run our engine outside permitted hours but need leccy like people in houses and don't live like Fred and Wilma Flintsone. Perhaps we liveaboards should have a banner proclaiming us as such so hobby boaters are forewarned?

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Engines running whist moored drives me nuts too. I NEVER need to run my engine when moored.

Sometimes it seems to me that some boaters just enjoy running their engines for no reason at all. Worst of all is when I find a nice quiet remote place to moor then at 6pm some inconsiderate boater arrives and moors right next to me and leaves their engine running for two hours after stopping. What's all that about then?!?!

Ahh so that's why you keep knackering your batteries then Mike ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This all depends on wether you are a hobby boater or not. Hobby boaters make use of all such stuff in their home much the same as liveaboards who are in their boat home. We never ever run our engine outside permitted hours but need leccy like people in houses and don't live like Fred and Wilma Flintsone. Perhaps we liveaboards should have a banner proclaiming us as such so hobby boaters are forewarned?

WHAT???

You're one of them dreadful inveterate peaceful-summer-evening-spoiling evening engine runners?

I'M OUTRAGED!!!!!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Ramp up my level of outrage :)

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Engines running whist moored drives me nuts too. I NEVER need to run my engine when moored.

Sometimes it seems to me that some boaters just enjoy running their engines for no reason at all. Worst of all is when I find a nice quiet remote place to moor then at 6pm some inconsiderate boater arrives and moors right next to me and leaves their engine running for two hours after stopping. What's all that about then?!?!

I'm with you there. When I'm away from shore power my widebeam is set up so that electricity consumption is low. I have LED lights throughout, a gas fridge, a 35w/channel car radio/stereo with good speakers that draws an amp and a smaller 12v TV for use off shore power that draws 2. Plus the usual pumps, etc. With fully charged batteries I can usually go at least 5 days before I'm getting close to 50% SoC and need to think about running my engine or generator to recharge the batteries. So I don't really understand why everyone else seems to be running their engines all the time? Guess they're all trying to keep up with their unsuitable mains or 12v fridges?

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I'm with you there. When I'm away from shore power my widebeam is set up so that electricity consumption is low. I have LED lights throughout, a gas fridge, a 35w/channel car radio/stereo with good speakers that draws an amp and a smaller 12v TV for use off shore power that draws 2. Plus the usual pumps, etc. With fully charged batteries I can usually go at least 5 days before I'm getting close to 50% SoC and need to think about running my engine or generator to recharge the batteries. So I don't really understand why everyone else seems to be running their engines all the time? Guess they're all trying to keep up with their unsuitable mains or 12v fridges?

I suspect a major cause of it is calorifiers. You and I use the obvious and sensible and QUIET option of a Morco. Loadsa boats out there only have a calorifier so have to run the enjun to get hot water.

Calorifiers should be made ILLEGAL. Sorted!

40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh so that's why you keep knackering your batteries then Mike ?

Better a set of knackered batteries than be one of those boaters who annoys the FECK out of every boat for miles around by running their engine for three hours every day. Obvs. :)

Running engines is a regrettable part of boating life for those who are not hurtling around the system everyday. Solar is not reliable enough in this country .Modern engines are not that noisy and is a steady constant noise .The worst is the Generator which ramps up and down as load changes these tend to be sat out in the open .The so called trad engine is far noisier but who will complain about that noise.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I suspect a major cause of it is calorifiers. You and I use the obvious and sensible and QUIET option of a Morco. Loadsa boats out there only have a calorifier so have to run the enjun to get hot water.

Oh yes, I forgot about the hot water. I have both calorifier and Morco instant gas water heater so after a day or two moored up when all the hot water in the calorifier has been used up I just switch to the Morco. For me it's all about having different options and being adaptable. 

2 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Running engines is a regrettable part of boating life for those who are not hurtling around the system everyday. Solar is not reliable enough in this country .Modern engines are not that noisy and is a steady constant noise .The worst is the Generator which ramps up and down as load changes these tend to be sat out in the open .The so called trad engine is far noisier but who will complain about that noise.

My Honda generator is quieter than my Isuzu engine.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I had two Morcos blow up on me, so I had a calorifier fitted. Takes 15mins to warm up. 

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The so called trad engine is far noisier but who will complain about that noise.

I get people knocking on the boat complaining that I turned the Kelvin OFF.

"Hey mate, I was enjoying listening to your engine, why you turn it OFF?!

• Greenie 1

Yesterday I cruised for over two hours in pouring rain which topped the batteries up.

I passed dozens of solar boats moored up, in the dry, running their engines cos solar provided zilch.

The rule seems to be 'I hate running engines ... unless it's mine'.

As I said, there's no need to feel guilty, it's what boaters do to have hot water and electric.

Boaters will understand ;)

Rog

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, dogless said:

The rule seems to be 'I hate running engines ... unless it's mine'.

What a strange thing to say. Anyone in the habit of running their engine whilst moored up is unlikely to complain about other boats running theirs. That would be the height of hypocrisy.

Actually I think I've guessed why so many had their engines running. Once one started, and all the others fired up to drown out the racket from the first!!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How long are you staying in Cropredy? I'm not there this weekend but might visit during the week and could buy you a pint.

That would have been splendid Mike but unfortunately we have to end our current 2 month cruise by the end of the week, due to family commitments next werk, so we will only be staying in Cropredy tonight, then somewhere on the summit Tuesday night. Possibly Fenny.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You haven't heard me playing my violin yet. Next time I'm moored near you and you startup your engine, I'll start my violin practice. That'll learn ya!!

But more seriously, I find an engine droning for possibly hours on end about equally as disturbing as close motorway noise. Train noise is intermittent and I actually quite like it. Musical instrument practice is fine too. If someone fires up an engine nearby, I'll untie and cruise off especially if its a noisy one. Boat engine noise varies a LOT.  

As for my trombone... but I agree with Mike. I also will untie and shove off, especially if the exhaust of the engine runner is blowing cheerfully into my cabin.  It's why i try to moor as far away from other boats as I can, and if crowded, in between the pointy ends.  Obviously I move up if it's needed to let someone else in and just pray they turn the engine off....

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What a strange thing to say. Anyone in the habit of running their engine whilst moored up is unlikely to complain about other boats running theirs. That would be the height of hypocrisy.

Actually I think I've guessed why so many had their engines running. Once one started, and all the others fired up to drown out the racket from the first!!

Strange thing to say?

Re read your own posts at # 16 and # 24.

Between 8am and 8pm you are welcome to run your engine when moored near me.

It's part and parcel of boating.

Rog

• Greenie 1

You know we had that business of teapots on top of boats as some sort of code a couple years back? Maybe we could agree something similar to mean “I’m a grumpy sod so don’t moor near me, run your engine in my hearing or work my locks for me”.

Suggestions for what it should be?

Maybe a guzunder, decorated or not as preferred, to mean p*ss off!

:giggles:

• Greenie 2

Noise: I'm not keen on the constant low pitched drone of a diesel engine, petrol gennie is favourable. Trains are fine, road noise is OK for a while but only a day or two. The very worst noise of all as far as I'm concerned is the bass element of modern music. It's the way it goes on for maybe 10 or 20 seconds then stops for a while, then starts again, and so it goes on. The distance it travels is quite amazing. I was moored at Billinge in Cheshire yesterday, kayaked 2/3 of the way towards Middlewich, 3 miles, it was still as loud there as it was at Billinge.

If anything is to be banned it should be the playing of loud music because it doesn't just impose on people in the close area, it affects those for miles around. 

37 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

You know we had that business of teapots on top of boats as some sort of code a couple years back? Maybe we could agree something similar to mean “I’m a grumpy sod so don’t moor near me, run your engine in my hearing or work my locks for me”.

Suggestions for what it should be?

Maybe a guzunder, decorated or not as preferred, to mean p*ss off!

Fit a vintage lovely Kelvin diesel?

2 hours ago, dogless said:

As I said, there's no need to feel guilty, it's what boaters do to have hot water and electric.

Boaters will understand ;)

Rog

Bust some boaters will also understand that it's what those who haven't set up their hot water and electrical systems efficiently do more frequently than those who have.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

"Hobby Boaters".... charming description. Is that how you see anyone who doesn't live on their boat? As it just being a hobby?

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Bust some boaters will also understand that it's what those who haven't set up their hot water and electrical systems efficiently do more frequently than those who have.

And some boat, rather than sit on a marina with mains hook up ;)

Rog

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

"Hobby Boaters".... charming description. Is that how you see anyone who doesn't live on their boat? As it just being a hobby?

There's nowt wrong with being a hobby boater. If you don't live on the boat then surely it's a leisure pursuit as in a hobby? There are some commercial boats out there that are not lived on but by and large there are three kinds of boaters those being, hobby, hire and live aboard surely?

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There's nowt wrong with being a hobby boater. If you don't live on the boat then surely it's a leisure pursuit as in a hobby? There are some commercial boats out there that are not lived on but by and large there are three kinds of boaters those being, hobby, hire and live aboard surely?

I suppose I'm a hobby boater as my liveaboard days were twenty years back. Hot water and fridge run silently on gas, 9" TV doesn't eat much battery and new LED lights even less.

Hobby boaters shouldn't need to run their engines anyway, they should be out cruising about charging their batteries, not sitting under a tree for ages running their washing machines.

I only really object to engines running when they poison me with fumes.  Musicians tend to get irritated by outside noise, especially stuff with an irregular beat - old trad engines nearly drive me insane.  So I find it disturbing, but I've got the choice of staying and putting up with it or, luckily, I've got an engine and can bugger off.  I'm not denying anyone the right to run the damn things within the usual hours, it's my own reaction that's the annoying thing.

Gareth was probably hearing the noise from Creamfields Festival at Daresbury - apparently it was annoying everyone in Northwich too.

• Greenie 1