Advice on method please

Featured Posts

I was hoping to have a back to bare metal paint job on our 70ft NB next year.  However having just laid out a load of spondoolies on having the hull and base plate shot blasted and 2 pack epoxy it’s going to have to wait.  That’s not a problem as apart from a few very small rust spots the overall paint work is in good condition.

However I would like to deal with the rust to prevent it getting worse so I intend removing most of the rust and treating it with vactan then a primer followed by paint.  The main area of rust is along the joint where the hole was cut to enable the Gardner engine to be inserted into its engine room.  The boat had a full repaint 10 years ago and whatever was done around this area clearly wasn’t sufficient to prevent rust appearing now.

I am presuming the seal is beneath the cabin top because all I can see is the joint which has a slight indentation and no visible fixing between the oblong plate and the cabin top.  As this is the weak point with regard to painting and subsequent rust I was considering putting some type of sealant or something to which the paint will adhere.  Would I be right to do so or is this a total no no or even required.

I intend hiring a small scrabler or such like to prepare this area.

I would be grateful for your suggestions and advice

A photo of the affected area would help.    I don't think I would use a "sealant" as that implies a lot of flexibility, good for sealing, but not for painting over.  Can you raise the panel? If so maybe sort out the rust and seal between the cabin top and the panel, then primer, filler (P38 or similar) and paint.

1 hour ago, Boredrider said:

A photo of the affected area would help.    I don't think I would use a "sealant" as that implies a lot of flexibility, good for sealing, but not for painting over.  Can you raise the panel? If so maybe sort out the rust and seal between the cabin top and the panel, then primer, filler (P38 or similar) and paint.

I will be back on the boat later this week and will take a photo

Just to clarify, a rectangular hole was cut in the cabin roof to allow the engine to be lowered in, then a plate presumably slightly larger than the hole was made and "fixed" over the hole?

If that's right then presumably the rusting is where the plate isn't quite flush with the roof, allowing moisture to collect but how do you know the rust doesn't continue under the plate?  If that's the case ideally this plate need to come off so you can establish the extent of any rust.  If you don't then whatever you do there's a chance that rust will come back through.

It all sounds a bit unsatisfactory as it is, but you could try applying Owatrol around the edges, Owatrol has moisture purging qualities and will seep into any gaps/imperfections.  You could try that, then mix Owatrol with a primer and see if the rust reappears, there's info on the Owatrol website how to use it.  I think Owatrol in this situation would work better than vactan or a similar rust converter.  

• Greenie 1