Talking Dirty!

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

But wood pellets are not a byproduct, the whole tree goes in.  

Depends on what you call by product, first thinnings are a by product and anyway if the timber is grown for wood pellets so what.

Give the timber a value and people will value their woodland, a well managed woodland with a product that has a value is a woodland that resists development,  give timber a value and people will plant more

Just now, tree monkey said:

Depends on what you call by product, first thinnings are a by product and anyway if the timber is grown for wood pellets so what.

Give the timber a value and people will value their woodland, a well managed woodland with a product that has a value is a woodland that resists development,  give timber a value and people will plant more

But that value is what encourages the destruction of ancient forest and the growing of fast growing softwoods.  As I said above I don’t object to the burning of wood I do object to being told about how environmentally friendly it is.

13 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

But wood pellets are not a byproduct, the whole tree goes in.  

We have some quite large areas round us which were farmers fields and now grow willow purely for such uses.

To me this has a number of advantages.   First it provides a great scrub habitat for wildlife until it is cropped and soon regenerates again into good habitat.   Second a woodland isn't having its having it ecology destroyed and thirdly it doesn't take too long to regenerate.

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

We have some quite large areas round us which were farmers fields and now grow willow purely for such uses.

To me this has a number of advantages.   First it provides a great scrub habitat for wildlife until it is cropped and soon regenerates again into good habitat.   Second a woodland isn't having its having it ecology destroyed and thirdly it doesn't take too long to regenerate.

Seen a few areas of willow grown for this, good to see

A lot of wood pellets are produced from sawdust which is a by- product of the timber industry. A company I had dealings with  hired out wood dust/shavings extraction equipment and they charged for the removal of the waste. It was processed at their plant in  Boston and turned into wood pellets, cat litter, pet bedding  and  woodshavings used for menege or exercise area for horses.

Phil 

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

But that value is what encourages the destruction of ancient forest and the growing of fast growing softwoods.  As I said above I don’t object to the burning of wood I do object to being told about how environmentally friendly it is.

Don't listen to the greenwash then, anybody who understands a bit of basic chemistry would never claim burning wood is environmentally friendly,  it is as close to carbon neutral as any form of heating can be but it's not environmentally friendly but then almost everything we do has some sort of negative impact