Dozy car drivers and lift bridges!

nicknorman

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Feel better for that, Roland? :D

Ha northern stratford last trip average speed 1 mph  more reverse than forward. Shirley bridge and the locals was the last straw. We ended up putting her in tickover and both standing on the bow thinking heavy thoughts. 

When we finaly got out 30 metres out from the bridge the engine almost stopped on the next black bag full of rubbish..

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That last incident in that video defies belief. WTF was going on???!!!!

There is only one problem in that the eejuts should each get ten years in the state penitentiary and it would then focus the minds of other morons.

• Greenie 1

On 27/08/2018 at 11:21, roland elsdon said:

Ha northern stratford last trip average speed 1 mph  more reverse than forward. Shirley bridge and the locals was the last straw. We ended up putting her in tickover and both standing on the bow thinking heavy thoughts. 

When we finaly got out 30 metres out from the bridge the engine almost stopped on the next black bag full of rubbish..

Does your boat have an especially deep draft?

On 27/08/2018 at 11:21, roland elsdon said:

Whilst I would agree it is shallow and slow going, it’s not that bad, and certainly never had a big issue with rubbish.  What was the issue with the bridge, other that cars running the red lights?

On 27/08/2018 at 11:42, mrsmelly said:

There is only one problem in that the eejuts should each get ten years in the state penitentiary and it would then focus the minds of other morons.

Depending on how you work it out and which source you use, it costs around £40k per year to keep a prisoner, therefore those ten years would cost the tax payer about £400k.  Far better to give the offender a £100k pay out following his or her offence, with the promise of a second £100k after ten years if they don't do it again.  £200k saved and the other £200k goes into the local economy! ;)

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Depending on how you work it out and which source you use, it costs around £40k per year to keep a prisoner, therefore those ten years would cost the tax payer about £400k.  Far better to give the offender a £100k pay out following his or her offence, with the promise of a second £100k after ten years if they don't do it again.  £200k saved and the other £200k goes into the local economy! ;)

Eeeeeejut ?

Shirley drawbridge was always a pain and could trap many vehicles. The best I recall, when it was just a windlass job without barriers, was 2 yobs on Honda 50's who decided they would steal a march on those from the other side, so started to cross before the bridge was down. The one obviously forgot that you don't rev the engine on an automatic unless you want to move, which he did, but not fast enough to jump the gap completely, landing unceremoniously just about on the road, head first.

On another occasion, on the Caldon, after seeing my oat and another through, I closed lowered the bridge, lifted up the one barrier, and whilst walking to the other, heard the unmistakeable 'crump' of a car roof, as the barrier I had just lifted bounced back down on the roof of an impatient Rover, bending the door pillar and shattering the windscreen. I referred the incandescent driver to the telephone number on the control console, and left as quickly as I could whilst she disentangled herself from the barrier to the accompaniment of other delayed drivers.

I was also delayed at Wrenbury when another boat appeared as the bridge was closing, and was unable to stop. The operator pressed the stop button to lift it again, but succeeded in only 'locking' it out. We all had to wait the attendance of B.W. to reset it.

On 28/08/2018 at 16:35, doratheexplorer said:

Does your boat have an especially deep draft?

Yes. Not only was it built deep draft shortening in the 1960s mean that it is very deep when in gear. With the counter just out of the water out of gear , 2mph puts the bands in 3 inches, thats after removing half a ton of ballast from the back and heaving  it in the front locker. Putting a new bottom on didnt help.