Johnstone’s Garage Floor Paint

Gra73

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Gra73 said:

Can anyone attest to the use of Johnstone’s Garage Floor Paint on their Stern Decking?

Looks like a 'NO' then....!

Garage floor paint has two problems. Firstly it is formulated for use in dry conditions, it may not cope with prolonged rain well. Secondly is is not resistant to UV sunlight radiation. 

If you decide to use it, do let us know how durable it turns out to be. 

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Garage floor paint has two problems. Firstly it is formulated for use in dry conditions, it may not cope with prolonged rain well. Secondly is is not resistant to UV sunlight radiation. 

Thirdly, as it is largely impervious to Water it is very slippery when wet. 

Ora, there's another thread running where the subject is floor paint on the roof - you may find that helpful.  I'm in the camp that says use the right paint for the right job so I'd just use a deck paint and remove the doubt, but floor paint does seem to have its followers. It is, however, not formulated for exterior steelwork on boats as I'm sure Johnstones themselves would be the first to advise if asked. Good luck.

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Thirdly, as it is largely impervious to Water it is very slippery when wet. 

One would hope all exterior boat paint (including Raddle) is impervious to water so I’m not sure that reasoning follows. 

More likely slippery when wet if gloss finish. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

One would hope all exterior boat paint (including Raddle) is impervious to water so I’m not sure that reasoning follows. 

Agreed. Protective coatings are designed to be impervious to water. 

Flooring coatings are usually high build i.e. thicker than 'normal' paint and will be designed to be tough and hard. Obviously using a decking paint for steel would be better but if you have the garage paint spare you may get away with it but as above:

- if water pools on your rear deck when it rains, like it does on a section of ours, then that would be a weak point

- concrete coatings are often designed to go straight onto the surface whereas a steel coating usually has a primer coat to get best adhesion. If you get rid of any rust, the garage paint should adhere reasonably well.

- UV stabilization is a big issue. I would give Johnsons a ring and see if it is ok for outdoors(I doubt it).....and don't use red as that will not be as color fast as outdoor red coatings.

1 minute ago, Gra73 said:

Thanks Sea Dog, could you suggest one please?

I've used Andy Russell's Gunwale paint, but I can't attest to its grip or resistance to abrasion on a steerer's step (although it's fine on the gunwales!) as I have Dri-Dek grid tiles on top so there's no direct contact.  In warships we used a deck paint clled Camrex which was waterproof, hard wearing - and very grippy! There must be a less military equivalent available at a chandler's. I'd be inclined to ask our resident paint experts what they'd recommend for the application (rather than asking about garage floor paint to which they might not reply). Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I used a garage floor paint on some vertical surfaces in our trad engine room last year, cos i was too tight do do the whole thing in jotamastic 87. So far, tis ok. 

Was that to assist the spiders climbing the walls?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

One would hope all exterior boat paint (including Raddle) is impervious to water...

You’d think so, wouldn’t you?

However a Leyland tech wrote “Unfortunately non of our floor paints are suitable to be used externally. They do not allow moisture to pass through and would potentially become very slippery if saturated by rainfall. Thanks

from the q&a here: https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-heavy-duty-floor-paint-slate-5ltr/49596

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You’d think so, wouldn’t you?

However a Leyland tech wrote “Unfortunately non of our floor paints are suitable to be used externally. They do not allow moisture to pass through and would potentially become very slippery if saturated by rainfall. Thanks

from the q&a here: https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-heavy-duty-floor-paint-slate-5ltr/49596

Wow. What a lot of numpties!

You cannot protect the steel (or concrete) if it lets water through!!

The best floor coatings I have seen have been modified 2 pack epoxies for use on off-shore platforms. Top of the list for performace criteria were adhesion, resistance to water transmission and toughness. You then build in the antislip without affecting the other properties.

Surprised nobody has mentioned that steel expands quite a lot more than concrete, and whatever paint is stuck to it, that coating has to expand as well. If it doesn't, it peels off. This, it seems to me, might be another reason why the formulations of floor paint and deck paint are different? I know nothing about paint chemistry but I'm with Seadog (post 6):

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

use the right paint for the right job

Edited by Machpoint005
punctuation

Yes, Leyland confirmed that their floor paint isn't suitable. I used an International non slip paint on the back deck a few years ago. Hopeless. It flaked off the Masons paint that was under it, and anything applied on top flaked off too. Had to remove it completely to redo the deck.

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

Yes, Leyland confirmed that their floor paint isn't suitable. I used an International non slip paint on the back deck a few years ago. Hopeless. It flaked off the Masons paint that was under it, and anything applied on top flaked off too. Had to remove it completely to redo the deck.

Sounds like a 6 Ps issue to me.  ;)